IG Index Thread

Why all this talk of campaigns and challenges? I see there's a thriving Capital Spreads forum on T2W, probably because Capital Spreads is an active member and there's an ongoing dialogue with the company. Isn't this the way forward - get IG Index to join in the dialogue on this forum?

miracles said:
Why all this talk of campaigns and challenges? I see there's a thriving Capital Spreads forum on T2W, probably because Capital Spreads is an active member and there's an ongoing dialogue with the company. Isn't this the way forward - get IG Index to join in the dialogue on this forum?

Great idea.

I would be very surprised. IG-Index are, in my experience, nowhere near as transparent, and "user-friendly" as Capital Spreads

Pippppin said:
I would be very surprised. IG-Index are, in my experience, nowhere near as transparent, and "user-friendly" as Capital Spreads

I think if T2W official invite them and told them the benefit (increase business and positive publicity) they might consider it.

Phil Mibbutz said:
Positive publicity? Finspreads don't seem to get much of that on their board!

Finspreads need to takes on board what traders are saying and do something about it with those suggestions. If they do that they might get good publicity same apply to IGindex. I think capital spreads are bit active engage and listen to traders judging from recommendation from traders.

Last edited:
Tradeing with IGIndex

I see this thread has been quite for a few months,

How are you finding trading with IGindex these days?

Is the link quite because theirs are no real problems? OR has everyone moved SB brokers??

Does the platform still hang and disconnect as stated in previous posts?

Does IGIndex "referred to the dealer" if you start making large wins like is alleged in this forum with other SB brokers?

Do your spreads start to mysteriously widen?

Or is it the stop running game that's played.

If one does start making large wins, does your get account closed?

Or, of course, non of the above?

How do you find the customer support?

Last edited:
IG index

Answering your points in turn:

I stopped when I had a dispute with them over stop losses and gapping. I think I know the rules but was totally unconvinced by their explanation of my losses.

Is the link quiet because theirs are no real problems? OR has everyone moved SB brokers??
I think the latter - I agree with other posters that Capitalspreads is much more transparent and user-friendly. For example their director Simon is an active poster on this board

No experience

Does IGIndex "referred to the dealer" if you start making large wins like is alleged in this forum with other SB brokers?
No experience of this - I lose money steadily, so they wouldn't have wanted me to close my a/c!

No

yes

No experience

Or, of course, none of the above?

Poor & hostile - not that the others are perfect.

Still trading with IG Index

I'm still trading with IG Index, though I also have an account with Easy2Spreadbet (basically the same people as Finspreads) and am considering opening one with Capital Spreads since everyone is so positive about them. When I find the one that works best for me I'll move all my capital there.

Taking your questions in turn

Generally fine, though I'd like more transparency up-front on each trade in terms of minimum bet size and minimum stop distance.

Is the link quiet because theirs are no real problems? OR has everyone moved SB brokers??
As I've said I use more than one broker anyway.

Yes it still hangs and I'm sure part of this is to do with the age of my computer and running other software concurrently - I now use a laptop side-by-side with my main computer to consult my charting package, streaming prices etc. It may also be to do with broker servers not being able to cope with the amount of traffic going on - not a good enough excuse on any broker's part.

Not encountered this. I don't make large wins, though I am fairly consistent in making small wins (a regular few hundred quid) and have had no problems.

Not encountered this.

Or this. I use guaranteed stops (gives me more reassurance should the system hang) but have a mental stop to get me out much earlier should I need to do. I don't believe any company tries to hit stop losses to make you lose. If people are getting stopped out too much they're either entering the wrong trades or their setting their stops too tight.

As I say my wins tend to be a few hundred, my losses to less than £100 so I'm probably just a tiddler.

No problems; I always tend to contact them by email and get a response (usually helpful) within the day.

As I've said, I'm a small player, but I do make profits. I think there's a lot of paranoia about SB companies. I just can't see it's in their interests to pick on individuals. Why should they widen the spread for one trader and not across the board? Why should they make trades difficult for one trader and not others. If I'm shorting something you're probably going long so which of us do they take out?

I use IG and have no complaints. To be honest I don't use them for the bigger cap stuff as there are narrower spreads out there, but for trading smaller cap stocks they're hard to beat. I've only run into execution problems when underlying liquidity/NMS has been an issue anyway, and they've cleared the trades more satisfactorily than my 'proper' stockbrokers have in similar situations. I'm a consistent winner with them over time, and have no issues / restrictions with my account. However I never put stops on any trade where the other side is the broker - too much potential conflict there - so I can't comment on whether IG are particularly good/bad at stop-hunting.

I use IGIndex and been checking here once in a while to see what everyone else says about this company. I have the guarenteed risk account but because of the wider spread I was finding that I was not putting on trades because of the 4 Pt instead of 2Pt spread. Understand the Risk account totally but its too wide a spread for me now and thinking of closing this account but does anyone know if they charge inactivity fees?
I have had a problem with the system hanging up on me (but could be my machine) but a few people has this problem. Not had a problem with them otherwise and always got back to me after contacting them. I have opened an account with GFTUK now as its software based and had no problems so far and prefer it than using the flash platform.

ditch the guaranteed stops - the service is just the same - max slippage ive ad is 2 pips over the last 12 months and IG is the best spread better ive ever been with - and i've been with em all

Thanks All for you replies..

This is why I joined this forum.

Please keep them coming both good and bad, so far I don't see anything too detrimental.

I'm in the process of sending in my due-diligence paper work to get my account open.

IG indice quotes seem to have gone askew as of late

I've been with IG Index for about 4-5 years & I'd have to say in all that time they've been completely fine.

That said, I'm convinced they've changed their Dow/FTSE/DAX price quote algorithm of late. In the past, their mid price of a daily indice was always *very* close to the related cash market price (I'm fortunate enough to have a live price feed from a vendor), but in the past few weeks, I've seen IG's mid price out of kilter somewhat. For example on the DAX (2 point spread) I've seen IG's mid price FOUR points consistently higher than the live market ALL day long! Equally, with the Dow (today for example) IG's mid price has been consistently about 2 points higher than the market.

This extra couple of points can make all the difference between closing a position at no loss or small profit or perhaps deciding to roll & then getting a kicking!

I emailed them, but just got a load of vague waffle back, which had the overall feel of "the price discrepancy you're seeing is because we want it to be like that but we couldn't possibly say that so we'll waffle on about premiums, mkt close times & tracking futures price"

Last edited:
ashwoka said:
I use IGIndex and been checking here once in a while to see what everyone else says about this company. I have the guarenteed risk account but because of the wider spread I was finding that I was not putting on trades because of the 4 Pt instead of 2Pt spread. Understand the Risk account totally but its too wide a spread for me now and thinking of closing this account but does anyone know if they charge inactivity fees?
I have had a problem with the system hanging up on me (but could be my machine) but a few people has this problem. Not had a problem with them otherwise and always got back to me after contacting them. I have opened an account with GFTUK now as its software based and had no problems so far and prefer it than using the flash platform.

I just want to say that I trade with Ig and have been trading for quite a while.............I have never had any problems with them and I am a day trader and harsh scalper when I mean harsh a pip grabber.......so far so good.......just when the news is out it get a a bit iffy but that is the same with all brokers.............

Best of luck with your trading happy trading

Rav :cheesy:

Hobby..

Surely the SB co can quote whatever they like, even on a cash market, and as I'm sure you know if the market is moving fast in one direction their quotes can be way ahead of the live values (and is the main reason why their own charts are a waste of time especially when you're using any form of TA) . I use a live feed for the Dow as well (and use IG or FinSpreads to trade), and if they are out of kilter that can be an advantage.

For example I'm a big fan of MACD and if the signal I use is right for me on the live market, and IG are above or below in the wrong direction, that's my entry point

BigDeal said:
Hobby..

Surely the SB co can quote whatever they like, even on a cash market,

Oh they can & they do...but it gets my goat cos IMHO they sell their product as making their money from the "spread"...ie 2 points either side of the Dow cash mkt.....however if they choose to set their own prices (ie get out of kilter), then not only am I trying to call the main indice, but also IG's related price. I accept small 'swings' from the median but I have a bit of an issue-ette with their price quote when it is consistently 5-6 points out of kilter over a period of hours or more.

Last edited:
I'm trading binaries with IG and you cannot put in limits or stops. But I have heard of external software that will monuitor the prices and alert you when the right price comes along.

Anyone heard of this?

hobby said:
Oh they can & they do...but it gets my goat cos IMHO they sell their product as making their money from the "spread"...ie 2 points either side of the Dow cash mkt.....however if they choose to set their own prices (ie get out of kilter), then not only am I trying to call the main indice, but also IG's related price. I accept small 'swings' from the median but I have a bit of an issue-ette with their price quote when it is consistently 5-6 points out of kilter over a period of hours or more.

Hobby - they will have to get more honest if spread betting comes under mifid, but it will not be till 2009 probably.

platypus_8888 said:
I'm trading binaries with IG and you cannot put in limits or stops. But I have heard of external software that will monuitor the prices and alert you when the right price comes along.

Anyone heard of this?

Pus

Not sure either but have heard of software that pulls prices from your screen somehow. Let me know if you find out