If you want to fail as a trader, study TA

Status
Not open for further replies.
no, im pretty sure its depth trade, they both seem to share a god complex and this guy is clearly from the states aswell. it only clicked when i read DT and realised he was talking about you not the crazy yank

They sure both shared the charateristic along with Socrates of never posting anything but smoke and mirrors.

The only thing I am sure of is that anyone who shows up saying my method is better than anyone else's or who dismisses any other method of trading is usually trying to sell you something or has an ego problem. I'm not interested in either.

That's it in a nutshell !!!

Something some of the TA afficionados here should explain btw is how come Dresdner Bank, now bought out by Commerzbank, have a profitable fund using absolutely nothing but MACD lol for timing entries and exits on the DAX:
http://www.comdirect.de/pbl/static/pdf/corp0075.pdf

Oh and yeah, Mr Paul Tudor Jones himself is proud to be a technician:

“It’s a hell of a lot easier to get an information edge on one stock than it is on the S&P 500. When it comes to trading macro, you cannot rely solely on fundamentals; you have to be a tape reader, which is something of a lost art form. The inability to read a tape and spot trends is also why so many in the relative-value space who rely solely on fundamentals have been annihilated in the past decade. Markets have consistently experienced ‘100-year events’ every five years. While I spend a significant amount of my time on analytics and collecting fundamental information, at the end of the day, I am a slave to the tape and proud of it.

[I come] from that period of crazy volatility [in] the late ’70s and early ’80s, when the amount of fundamental information available on assets was so limited and the volatility so extreme that one had to be a technician … When I got into the business, there was so little information on fundamentals, and what little information one could get was largely imperfect. We learned just to go with the chart."

http://www.marketfolly.com/2008/07/hedge-fund-manager-interviews.html

And Paul Tudor Jones became a multi Billionaire with TA and Elliot wave of all things.

But I'm really outta this thread now, don't feel like wasting any time on this bull**** with zero substance any more.

It's clearly proven that TA works, so just because the majority can't get it to work doesn't really mean zilch, that's just life, it's a pyramind, where many feel callen to reach the top but few are chosen.

One must be in denial if one honestly believes TA can't make you a fortune what with shining benchmarks available freely for inspiration like Richard Dennis who turned 400 bucks into hundreds of millions, or Marty Schwartz with his moving averages, oscillators and bands who averaged out at 33% per month, or fellow market wizard Linda Raaschke with her indicators and TA, or Ed Seykota with his moving averages who made - normalized for withdrawals, several million percent profit from 72 - 88, or Michael Marcus who multiplied his account 2500 fold over 10 years despite being charged 30% profits from his firm every year, or newer examples like Marc Sperling who started out as a prop trader at Broadway and was featured in "Electronic Daytraders Secrets" from ten years ago and is still going strong with a new trading firm and who also uses moving averages as trend filters to buy pullbacks in their direction and makes millions per year, or Dan Zanger who turned 42K into 40 million using old fashioned patterns and TA, or Paul Rotter who is a classic tape reader and has made €50 - 60 million per year scalping the Bund for a decade , and the list could go on and on.

But well, if all that won't allow anyone else to build up sufficient confidence - the most important pre-requisite to making it next to a flexible mind and absolute discipline, nothing will ever work for those naysaying gals and guys.

That's another essential difference between those that make it, and maybe even go on to make it big, and those that don't, those that succeed have an open mind to look around what worked for others and then synthesize and adapt a style out of that that suits their personality while having strong confidence in outcomes.

You see it before it materialises.

Those that don't make it lack confidence and only see insurmountable hurdles, and spend the rest of their career jumping from method to method, abandoning one for the next pipedream at the first string of losers just before a winning phase would have come about again.

It's not the method once you have one that's even roughly aligned with the natural ebb and flow of price in either a trend following or reversion to mean modus, no, it's the ability to stick with it, the discipline to cut losses and not start hoping or averaging down, and holding onto your winners.

As I keep saying it's just a probability game.

You do not need a crystal ball that tells you what happens next to make money.

Problem is most people who want to have a go at this spend their entire career searching for that exact crystal ball, refusing to accept that neither that nor certainty do not exist in trading, nor are they necessary.

But then again most aren't in this to make money anyway, they are in this to prove how clever they are to themselves in their ability to predict what happens next which comes at the detriment of net profitability, and just plain old thrills:

An Analysis of the Profiles and Motivations of Habitual Commodity Speculators

The focus of this study is the habitual speculator in commodity futures markets.
Responses to a 73 question survey were collected directly from retail commodity brokers with offices in Alabama. Each questionnaire recorded information on an individual commodity client who had traded for an extended period of time.

The typical trader studied is a married, white male, age 52. He is affluent and well educated. He is a self-employed business owner who can recover from financial setbacks. He is a politically right wing conservative involved in the political process. He assumes a good deal of risk in most phases of his life. He is both an aggressive investor and an active gambler. This trader does not consider preservation of his commodity capital to be a very high trading priority. As a result, he rarely uses stop loss orders. He wins more frequently than he loses (over 51% of the time) but is an overall net loser in dollar terms. In spite of recurring trading losses, he has never made any substantial change in his basic trading style. To this trader, whether he won or lost on a particular trade is more important than the size of the win or loss. Thus he consistently cuts his profits short while letting his losses run. He also worries more about missing a move in the market by being on the sidelines than about losing by being on the wrong side of a market move; i.e., being in the action is more important than the financial consequences.

An Analysis of the Profiles and Motivations of Habitual Commodity Speculators

OSIP went to $52 on the open because someone expressed their intent to buy at $52. Now - of course this is news. If the price dips below $52 - it's an arbitrage opportunity, so the price won't dip below $52.

Now - in 6 months time, anyone looking at this area of price action will see support/resistance. The context of the price hovering around current levels is that there was someone wanting to buy the company. Once that is no longr the case, someone using RTA and not looking at the context of the jump to $52 may make some invalid assumptions on what will happen if price once again moves to that level.

When I talk about context, I mean the context of past price action - which is rarely considered in RTA.

Agreed.

DT - Im not sure if you've detailed your method at all or not, but am I right in thinking it is a little like Mr. Charts type of method? - picking stocks based on news etc and then trading them based off of time and sales info?
cheers.

Ooh look another guy who wrote a book who's into short term TA:

http://www.amazon.com/Trading-Short...4734551?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174994239&sr=1-1

Crabel has been running a hedge fund for ages: "Mr Crabel manages 3.2 billion dollars and had a growth of 16.7% in 2005. A producer of consistent returns whatever the weather, Crabel has avoided having a losing year from 1991 to 2002. [2] Crabel is also an author, has written the book Day Trading with Short-term Price Patterns, which can be found on eBay for upwards of $1,000 a copy."

Of course returns diminish with size because of eventual liquidity issues, but also because most hedge fund investors prefer low volatility returns, but by any measure 17% on several billions is outstanding.

Now, if you were inclined to put a wager on the horses, say 3 to 4 times per week, what is the most important thing that you SHOULD do to maximize you chance of success?

Let's say that you are good at picking winners, and you make good money each and every week, what now is the most important thing you SHOULD do?

Make sure that the return on the horse (if it wins) is greater than its actual chance of winning.

Paul

Survivorship bias Mr Geccko, sure that's an issue, eg I recall having read that trading floors eg CBOT or CME have fluctuations of ca 50% per year, prop firms probably not much different etc, but people that survive decades like Toby Crabel or many of the others I quoted, some of whom must be stone age beatles by now and are still around ?

That's proven, reproducable skill in my book.

Look at how many trend following CTA's have been trading for simply ages, and doing what they do simply doesn't get simpler, a robust method of entering trends, and applying that over numerous diversified markets, resulting in many more losers than winners, but the latter will over time make up for the former and then some.

Made John Henry a billionaire buying baseball teams didn't it.

turtletrader.com is full of links to trend following CTA's, some of those guys have no more than two inputs to enter / exit trades, Richard Dennis's turtle rules were the absolute essence of simplicity too weren't they.

Of course longevity is no guarantor of eternity as Victor Niederhofer showed, but he wasn't following rule number one was he, cut your losses short, he was trying to tell the market what's what, and got told off instead. Twice.

I honestly believe that as long as you have a method with an edge which is really not rocket science to get, retracements / pullbacks in trends, and reversals in ranges are really all you need to "get" and that ain't rocket science, and as long as you remain disciplined and humble in front of the market, as long as you keep your losses tightly under control while giving your winners some room, you can make a career out of this as long as you like.

Firstly, I am not anyone you know or knew. I have worked with many traders over the years, in many different markets, and I know what I know to be true about trading, from first hand experience. As that has now been settled, let us move on.

Thank You to all those who took the time to look back and post their answers to my questions, which will be addressed in due course.

To try and get a handle on what is happening when Grey1 trades the way he does, or any other trader that is trading multiple instruments, let us ask ourselves a few questions that may lead to the answers.

Now, if you were inclined to put a wager on the horses, say 3 to 4 times per week, what is the most important thing that you SHOULD do to maximize you chance of success?

Let's say that you are good at picking winners, and you make good money each and every week, what now is the most important thing you SHOULD do?

If I can pick winners each and every week then all I need do is make sure I can't go bust and sit back and be patient with my system. Compounding the edge you have already given me would be enough to be very rich in a relatively short space of time.

If you are just going to assume an edge exists then I'm not sure what you are trying to say.

Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..

All kind of knowledge, eventually becomes self knowledge

Use only that which works, and take it from any place you can find it

Do not deny the classical approach, simply as a reaction, or you will have created another pattern and trapped yourself there

A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough

Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it

It's not the daily increase but daily decrease. Hack away at the unessential

Bruce Lee

Reactions: BSD
Which of the following is best?

1) Do 4 to 6 trades in 1 day and make $2,000

2) Do 1 trade in 30 to 60 min and make $2,000

Given the information provided both of these are exactly the same and neither could be said to be the best. If you want to make a coherant point give the details of each trade (there is only a maximum of 7) . I would assume that is easy to do if you do genuinly have a concept to get across.

Last edited:
Pick It, Tick It & Kick It

TA is for the masses, let them continue to diddle and daddle, for that is what they want to do.

Cycles are for young children.

Waves are for the ocean.

Fibs are for liars.

Geometric variations, well, what can I say about this one, only, I hope you have plenty of time on your hands, for you will need every minute of it.

Moving averages are for the "average trader"?

Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it

[/I]

Such as Richard Dennis, Paul Tudor Jones, Tony Crabel....? :)

(sorry, couldn't resist)

BTW, someone brought in Livermore at one point ... Livermore? TA? I'd think that is over-egging the pudding of the TA argument.

Paul Tudor Jones: Yes, I'd read that interview (and have seen the famous video). But the point is that someone like him has probably forgotten more about fundamentals than the average indicator-ridden newbie will ever know or even dream of. He would have been using "just the charts" within the context of knowing the nature of the markets, how they work, and how they interwork. There's a world of difference.

Recently, I have been discussing with other traders what the basis of a solid trading plan should contain, and, I am amazed at how few are grasping what I am talking about. Then, to make it even worse, they accuse me of being cryptic and not coming straight out and saying exactly what I am trying to convey.

I now ask you, here in the relevant section, do you think that the outcome for most traders is a result of the TA that is shoved down every aspiring trader's throat, from the very day he/she starts to investigate the big bad workings of the financial world?

I would love to see your ccount statement before you launch off with your stuff:rolleyes:

Such as Richard Dennis, Paul Tudor Jones, Tony Crabel....? :)

(sorry, couldn't resist)

BTW, someone brought in Livermore at one point ... Livermore? TA? I'd think that is over-egging the pudding of the TA argument.

Paul Tudor Jones: Yes, I'd read that interview (and have seen the famous video). But the point is that someone like him has probably forgotten more about fundamentals than the average indicator-ridden newbie will ever know or even dream of. He would have been using "just the charts" within the context of knowing the nature of the markets, how they work, and how they interwork. There's a world of difference.

Quoted for truth....

The only thing I am sure of is that anyone who shows up saying my method is better than anyone else's or who dismisses any other method of trading is usually trying to sell you something or has an ego problem. I'm not interested in either.

hit the nail on the head

there's no rational reason for any debate at all. if you use TA then you know if its working or not, you don't need to defend its honour from naysayers, because opinions make no difference to the results (good or bad). if you think TA is for suckers then you should keep quiet, it's a zero sum game so the more losers the better, and its no skin off your nose at all if others use it.

it's like what george carlin said about war, just a bunch of men getting together to wave their pricks around

Excellent post cloud, spot on !!!

Yeah that's exactly what comes across from his interview right.

Mr Paul Tudor Jones:

“When it comes to trading macro, you cannot rely solely on fundamentals; you have to be a tape reader, which is something of a lost art form. The inability to read a tape and spot trends is also why so many in the relative-value space who rely solely on fundamentals have been annihilated in the past decade. Markets have consistently experienced ‘100-year events’ every five years. While I spend a significant amount of my time on analytics and collecting fundamental information, at the end of the day, I am a slave to the tape and proud of it.

[I come] from that period of crazy volatility [in] the late ’70s and early ’80s, when the amount of fundamental information available on assets was so limited and the volatility so extreme that one had to be a technician … When I got into the business, there was so little information on fundamentals, and what little information one could get was largely imperfect. We learned just to go with the chart."

http://www.marketfolly.com/2008/07/hedge-fund-manager-interviews.html

What all do some people need, signposts telling you exactly where to hop on and where to hop off ??

Good Lord, charts go up, down or sideways, what on earth is so incomprehensible about that that apparently a majority can see what we see and yet never find a way to make money from trends or ranges, that's all a market does, trend, or range.

It's really beyond me why people insist on overcomplicating what is so simple from a success relevance point of view.

People really need to get open minds and develop mental flexibility if they want to have a chance to compete.

I mean what's the next claim going to be, that arch technicians Richard Dennis or billionaire trend follower John Henry who both relied on fully mechanical systems are also closet fundamentalists ?

:LOL:

The difference between me and the naysayers is that I have zero problems accepting that there are people who made money investing long term off of fundamentals.

But I also have zero problems with the more than obvious facts that there are plenty people who made fortunes beyond belief with short term trading off of technicals alone, why on earth car eabout funnymentals when all you need is available from price, just as I have zero problems accepting that great traders can look at a chart without knowing what it is, even if it's artificial and computer generated, and still make money from that alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.