Ideas for increasing trader performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
i wouldnt be shorting the yen anytime this year
me neither-with dollar interest rates on the rise yen is probably going to be the preferred carry trade currency.

point was use bigger stops so not to get stopped out.
edit: wait i don't make sense! i would short yen this year...

well historically interest rates generally fluctuate, can't stay the same forever. too much cheap money and growth around drives inflation,balance of payments deficits too. Rather than guess ill wait for the rate to change and then get in.

mar-9-libor.jpg
"Yen Carry Trade is Back
Yen Libor rates crossed lower than dollar Libor rates for the first time since August. Since that cross, the dollar lost 13% against the yen. The August crossover made the dollar a cheaper currency to borrow for the first time in sixteen years."

Above is article I found that supports the Yen carry trade.

DHB and TD,

Thanks a million. I'm going to print those post out and add them to my notes file.

Jeff, today's setup in the S&P was a nice example of using a top down approach to day trade.

Bearish engulfing appears on daily at key 1170 so I was making the plan on this last night.

On the hourly you have a fairly sizable band of resistance. 1165 was my preffered short area but, in my opinion, unless you want to screw around having several attempts at it, the stop wanted to be outside the top of the zone which gives you resistance from an expected H&S and the 61% as your last line of defence.

I traded this in the cash market but the equivalent futures prices were short at 1165. Stop at 1172. Target was 1156 so we're only talking a 1:1. No spectactular R:R but a nice simple trade (albeit we got a bit of drawdown to sit through).

Note I used the daily for the picture but hourly to enter and exit. I actually think that playing the daily view it has a decent chance of getting to 1147 before it takes out the daily high but I'm out for now.

No surprises that 1156 was gonna cause a rally in price - it's big on the hourly and everyone sees the big levels!

Everyone I know that took this trade had their target there so congrats to you all :)

Anyway, have a good weekend mate.

Tom

Attachments

• s&p.gif
    s&p.gif
    23.5 KB · Views: 476
I wouldn't be surprised if you'd get a bounce off of 1151.80-1152.00 first though.;)

ep.gif

Just thought I'd post a trade I did last night that highlights some of the principles from the PDF at the beginning of the thead.

There was a huge gap in the Euro on the open last night. (There was also one in Cable that I played too but I will just go over the Euro one here)

The point at which the gap fills is also significant daily support (see chart 1).

It's often the case that once the gaps fill, the market turns and trades in the direction of the gap so, covering and going long as it hit that huge support area was a great opportunity since you have a good confluence of high probability variables.

Aggressive traders can use their profit on the first trade to leverage up on the second.

I scaled out of my short position as the gap filled. Then after closing the final third, went long.

I got out of1/3 of this long position as we approached the previous swing high and the 1.3500 round number. I tried to run 2/3rds but got taken out in the worst spot (with hindsight). Oh well, c'est la vie.

Chart 2 shows my entries and exits on a 5m chart (I trade off hourly though).

Tom

Attachments

• euro.gif
    euro.gif
    29.5 KB · Views: 465
  • euro1.gif
    euro1.gif
    24.7 KB · Views: 469
Last edited:
Hindsight is always 20-20, isn't it?:D

If you don't mind me asking, why did you "puke" out the final 2/3 of your long at that particular point? Also, and of course I don't know your particular MM and trade mgt rules, but right after you took the first third of your long off the table, surely you must have seen the breakout coil formation forming. Was the subsequent breakout downward not a signal for you to exit and wait for another chance to enter later, should you still have been long biased?

Cheers

Hindsight is always 20-20, isn't it?:D

If you don't mind me asking, why did you "puke" out the final 2/3 of your long at that particular point?

It was trapped between 1.3500 and 1.3430. It had tested the latter twice already, I thought it might be best to throw in the towel after it looked to be coming back for the third test.

Also, and of course I don't know your particular MM and trade mgt rules,

That's cool. I don't either.

...but right after you took the first third of your long off the table, surely you must have seen the breakout coil formation forming. Was the subsequent breakout downward not a signal for you to exit and wait for another chance to enter later, should you still have been long biased?

I don't pay much attention to breakouts or coils sub daily.

The following webinar discusses support and resistance from the point of view of supply and demand (i.e., market psychology). Extremely insightful and highly recommended to all traders, both noobs and pros.(y)

http://transcripts.fxstreet.com/2008/01/multiple-low-ri.html

Thanks. They are good videos.

I don't trade in that way although the foundation is there.

I think the best thing he says is when he advises to just put your stop in, your target in and just walk away.

Too many people screw up their trades by trying to mess around with them with the worst sin in my eyes being that of trying to get to breakeven.

I think people should spend more time on seeing whether their analysis is right or wrong.

Did it hit your limit or your stop when you left it alone?

But instead, everyone seems out to try and get a risk free trade all the time and then moans when it hits their target without them.

I've said this before and I know inevitably people will come back and argue the case but I talk with lots of traders - new and experienced ones and this is one thing I just hear all day long.

Even with the last gap trade I posted (Eur/Usd and Gbp/Usd), I saw one person take a breakeven on both and then got incredibly disheartened because when they compared with me I had got two sizable winners.

How did I manage it?

I went to bed with two stops and two limits.

But then I hear someone say: "But Dante, I did that and it came 10 pips from filling the gap and then stopped me out and I was asleep so I couldn't do anything about it and now it's a loser and I could have made X"

Welcome to trading. Do it 30 times and tell me what happens.

I think what makes it even harder for everyone is that one time they do it and having a breakeven order keeps them from getting the big move. So next time they refuse to move to breakeven, then the market comes back and they take a sizable loser and realise the breakeven stop would have at least saved them from a loss.

You can't keep switching what you are doing based on the last one or two trades.

You don't get anywhere!

Sorry for the rant but honestly sometimes I honestly wonder why so many people lose money when the concepts are not rocket science.

- Pick what you feel comfortable with and do the EXACT same thing 30 times on demo. If it works, keep repeating.

- If it works but you think you can do better, keep doing it (after all it makes money) whilst setting up another demo account to try a new, different arrangement.

- If it doesn't work at all look at why and then you can tweak.

How many is a statistically valid number of trades? For me and the way I trade I think it is about 30 since I only trade about once per day and that gives me a nice sample.

If you do 30 trades in a day, obviously you might want a whole lot more in case it is just the market on that day.

Next question: I think something is going wrong and I can't afford to sit there like a mug and lose on 30 trades.

Answer: That's what demo or micro accounts are for then. It's not a race its a marathon. If you have to take 2 weeks off earning to try something out, put it down to the cost of training.

This is how I made progress in this game. I keep repeating the same thing and then I tweak if it the results over many trades start to convince me something is wrong.

As a rough idea of this path here is just some of the steps I remember taking on my journey:

1) Started trading pins and IB's at levels. Used a fixed stop but had not much idea of where to take profits. So profit taking was somewhat arbitrary and based on how far it had travelled. Had phenomenal success at first. After a period of a few months I started making money more slowly. I was a winner on balance over a nice sample of trades but realised that almost all my trades went nicely into profit and yet I was only winning about 50% of the time. Clearly upon observation, I was giving profit back sometimes in the hope it would go further.

2) Realised I needed a way to protect profit but try to capture the bigger move. So came up with a simple strategy of placing my stop behind the low of the last candle that closed significantly above/below a level.

3) This worked very, very well for a long time until some time in 2008 I started realising my account was treading water again. Upon observation I can see that the market volatility has picked up dramatically and that now a huge number of trades are getting to the first level and then reversing and taking me out for a loss.

4) I then adapted a strategy whereby I take 50% off at the first level and move the stop on the other half as outlined above.

5) In 2009, things were still working well but I realised that a lot of the time I was marking the level where I would anticipate the turn but I saw two things happening. Firstly, more and more pins were triggering and then getting the stop side faked out by a few ticks and then going the way one would have traded them. Secondly and more importantly, price was often making huge moves off of key levels without signifying its direction with a pin or inside bar. So I started playing blind touches of key levels and recording the results.

6) This worked extremely well and got me in at the turning point the large majority of times. However, occassionally I would take a large loss which would take me a while to make up (from time to time it would be weeks). I realised that the pins and IBs had provided me with fixed stops as one of their major advantages where now I had no idea of where to put a stop and thus was prone to second guessing if levels were being faked out and lacking discipline if it wasn't a fake but a break against me. So then I started testing the idea of using an initial stop based on the last candle that had closed above/below the level I was playing off. This was really just an idea based on the original trailing stop strategy I outlined above and this then solved that problem.

etc, etc, etc

And I've many other moves since then.

What do I do now?

Right now, I :

- Identify a level and put a limit in at it if I like the way price is approaching it. My stop goes below the last thrust candle to close above the level (if I am going long). If I am going short, it goes above the last thrust candle to close below the level I am playing.

- Look at the D1 timeframe and work out how far I think price can go,

- Count how many clear and obvious problem areas or levels there are between my entry and that price.

- Divide my stake (which is already based on where my stop will be) into that number.

- Put a limit order in to scale out of some at each area.

- Go to Costa.

- Sit drinking coffee and reading. From time to time I can check FX360 on the iPhone. If my first level has been hit for profit, all I need to do is change the number of lots /pounds per tick, at my stop.

* I don't f*ck about changing my stop to lock anything in unless when I come back there is another level between my stop and the current price that I am convinced won't break *

Is it perfect? No. Why? Because sometimes you only get 1/3rd out and the market comes back and takes out 2/3rds.

What else happens? Sometimes I get out 3 increments in the course of a day and the market keeps going in the anticipated direction for three weeks.

And sure it f*cks me off sometimes when that happens a few times in a row.

But only when this happens constantly and only when my equity curve stops going up but instead just tracks sideways or down then is it time to start demoing a new way of doing things.

Last edited:
Reactions: DHB
Wow dante, that was a long post but can see that you and I have a pretty damn similar strategy. I hope all of the new traders out there are reading that...

I'm still figuring out what's working best for me with regards to exits. I'm currently moving my stop to B/E when it reaches the first area of trouble, and then I wait to either get taken out, or for price to break through that first area, so that I can trail my stop. I'll trail my stop every time price breaks through a barrier, until it eventually fails and stops me out. Sometimes I'll add to my position at these barrier breaks. Still working on incorporating that tactic into my overall strategy.

Whatever your money mgt method might be, you'll always win some and lose some. Every method has its pros and cons. As long as you're making money on a consistent basis in a way that suits your personality, right...

usdchf.gif

The following webinar discusses support and resistance from the point of view of supply and demand (i.e., market psychology). Extremely insightful and highly recommended to all traders, both noobs and pros.(y)

http://transcripts.fxstreet.com/2008/01/multiple-low-ri.html

DHB,
I had a look at the attached webinar.
I wouldn't recomend it to new traders. I guess it would confuse them and help them to lose money quicker.

It was a long webinar with no in detail trade analysis, some funny charts and loads of supply and demand theory IMO. Hardly any practical use.(n)

PS Felt like posting this to draw attention to webinar followers to take all that webinars with a pinch of salt and ask themselves what is behind it. Is it that the tutors are kind souls who try to give advice for free, or they may have some other intentions (maybe to get some more students, so they can make money that way instead of trading):?:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.