IB security

ambitio

I have noticed that the IBjts settings directory normally found in the route directory contains information regarding username, account number etc. If one were using TWS on a PC in an Internet Cafe for example, I would assume it would be wise to delete this directory when finished.

Does anyone know why these config files are not held centrally, not only for security issues, but for hot desking too. Any comments? :confused:

Hi ambito,

I doubt you will be able to install the Standalone Version in an Internet cafe so your question is acedemic.

Further you would have to be pretty silly to do so.

JonnyT

Did I say TWS? I meant their web based client in which case it wouldn't be academic - just hot desking like one can do with many other ECN trading platforms.

Sorry, I didn't realise the question was so silly!

Hi Ambitio

I don't think the question is silly, but I would be worried about trading from an Internet cafe - I don't know how you could concentrate.

If you really did trade from an Internet cafe, then I would make sure that everything on the system was deleted (that's if you can get into the files to delete them).

Personally I wouldn't do it :(

HTH

I only ever use the free standing system. I wasn't aware that the web based platform stored information in a directory, are you sure that it does? It seems a little unlikely. It might save info if you selected the IE option of saving your username and password in the passwords list, but that's something that is would not generally be a good idea to do in an internet cafe anyway :cheesy:

Looking in the files in my TWS (standalone) directory I can find my username, but not my password, so I'd have thought there was little risk anyway.

FTSE Beater said:
Hi Ambitio

I don't think the question is silly, but I would be worried about trading from an Internet cafe - I don't know how you could concentrate.

Aha - headphones and a good CD! I think it just gives a little more flexibility/redundancy if ones PC goes belly up. Surely you can see the advantages of being able to trade from any PC/location- like when abroad (although not necessarily in an Internet Cafe) Investment Banks spend huge amounts of money on having this facility.

GreyingSurfer said:

I wasn't aware that the web based platform stored information in a directory, are you sure that it does?

On the login screen on the web client, just under where you enter your password, there is a settings directory normally "C:\Ibjts".

Anyway, it looks like to be on the safe side, I will have to take my laptop with me. I was just passing on the info for those interested.

Thanks

I would have thought that if anyone was deadly serious about trading, they would have everything on a laptop as a standby anyway.

You might say that if one's PC goes belly up then you need a standby, but actually what you should also consider having is another account to hedge any open position. But best of all is having a full-charged mobile to hand to phone and offset all your open positions.

There's no way I would ever consider loading up any trading platform from an Internet cafe.