IB - Order Execution Time

BBB
thats interesting stuff - where does it come from please - I'd like to find out more

Hi BBB,

You are slightly wrong about Globex. Globex doesn't take market orders so your Broker converts the order to a Limit order not a Market order.

JonnyT

Jonny,

Am I? They say you shouldn't believe everything you read, and I read this (arf arf!)

Thats why a Stop orders full name is a Stop MARKET order. If the order was converted to a Limit, you may not get a fill if the market follows through. This means the exchange would not be able to charge fees, ie they miss out on business. It is in the exchanges interest to generate as much liquidity as possible.

I think - and I may be wrong, that ALL exchanges take market orders for this reason - to make it easier and more attractive venue for people to trade at.

Does anyone else know?

Rognvald - I posted a couple of websites a few posts up. Both sites produce monthly news letters which are quite interesting. You can also try searching exchange websites it those deep dank, dark corners where no-one else goes!

BBB
I saw them eventually and they are bookmarked for further attention thanks

Hi BBB,

There are no market orders on Globex full stop.

Brokers have to similate them using either a limit or stop limit.

I've heard that IBs software puts in a limit order 20 full points above the ES for a market buy order to virtually guarentee a fill.

JonnyT

Talking about IB further, I find it very tricky to change order quantities fast. Entering the order quantity could be easier. Is there another way of doing it ?