I honestly cannot recommend that anyone develop, or follow up an interest in trading.

JTrader

5,741 506
BTW -

in metatrader, to alter the scale of the axis, and to fit more levels into the charts, hover over the right axis with the numbers in it, left click & drag up & down. Only discovered that recently!

tar

Legendary member
10,441 1,309
I have suffered painfully for more than 3 years to learn how to trade successfully and i tried everything fx , futures , indices , binary , options , stocks , oil , metals ......scalping , long term , cheating ! everything , but everyday i learn something and i started from this summer to c light inside this dark tunnel so i will not give up and i am sure i will be rich someday from trading

Reactions: JTrader

JTrader

5,741 506
I have idenfitifed a couple of inconsistencies -

Today -

due to the number of signals that my method generates, there is a strong argument for only taking the very best looking - if i can show from a tally of previous days that these are statistically better performers. No matter how many good winners this involves passing up.

Despite a horrendous performance, there were still lots of missed opportunities to get involved in profitable trending price action based on candle formations (lh,ll & lower close compared to the last candle signalling downwards potential).
Basically, being busier and not being afraid to get stuck into candles that occurred after a significant trend - SnR line breakout (thus a trend is hopefully being formed) based on such candle information would have served me well. I need to be a bit more trigger happy sometimes.

Last edited:

Glenn

Experienced member
1,040 117
I now have what i consider to be a very solid methodology, that is as good as it can be, more or less.

And from time to time, my inability to execute the plan correctly, can drive me up the wall.
JTrader
The above seems to be your only evidence, although it is rather vague.

So what actually is the problem ?

From what you say, on balance, it seems to be your 'very solid methodology', given that your own errors only occur 'from time to time'

But what is your methodology based on - is it Backtesting ?
If so then that probably is the real cause of the problem. Backtesting is a waste of time because markets are not technical all of the time, so your results will be skewed by the inclusion of non-technical data and therefore useless, no matter how good they look.

In the end you have to be clear what the problem is, i.e. The methodology, you, or both.
Otherwise you can't move forward.
If you have kept a detailed log of every trade then you should be able to analyse the results and determine where things went wrong. You will see repeating patterns.
If you haven't kept such a log then imho you weren't talking it seriously. Business is business.

Best wishes for the future.
Glenn

Reactions: fibonelli

JTrader

5,741 506
hello

JTrader

5,741 506
JTrader
The above seems to be your only evidence, although it is rather vague.

So what actually is the problem ?

From what you say, on balance, it seems to be your 'very solid methodology', given that your own errors only occur 'from time to time'

But what is your methodology based on - is it Backtesting ?
If so then that probably is the real cause of the problem. Backtesting is a waste of time because markets are not technical all of the time, so your results will be skewed by the inclusion of non-technical data and therefore useless, no matter how good they look.

In the end you have to be clear what the problem is, i.e. The methodology, you, or both.
Otherwise you can't move forward.
If you have kept a detailed log of every trade then you should be able to analyse the results and determine where things went wrong. You will see repeating patterns.
If you haven't kept such a log then imho you weren't talking it seriously. Business is business.

Best wishes for the future.
Glenn
Thats not something i want/need to get into tbh. The method overall works very well, & much better than anything seen previously. Sure, my method is not perfect, nor is my present ability to execute it, as today has again proved. But overall my method tracks the market (price action) well & pretty closely & i am improving at trading it.

brutusdog

759 194
Unlike many other professions, there's not much in the way of a grey area in trading. Broadly speaking, traders fall into three categories: 1) consistently profitable. 2) the 'slow bleed'. 3) here today, gone tomorrow after a major blow out. The market doesn't really factor in grey areas - you can either do it or you can't. It's black and white - just check your P/L to see which side of the divide you're on. In most other walks of life, one can get by being middle of the road, neither terrible nor exceptional. Indeed, this ground is occupied by the majority of people. That's what makes this game soooo tough, IMO, you really have to be very good just to be able to stand still, let alone make any real money. On that note - best of luck JT, I hope you hack it and thank you for your great input over the years.
Best wishes,
Tim.

ok im not professing to be a master trader or saying that im setting the trading world on fire....but i think the statement that trading is sooo tough is wide of the mark.

the system is unimportant. a 50 % win to loss ratio is enough to make money.

risk should be the primary concern and is usually the last of the losing trader.

too many people fall back on the 95% lose stats....after all its never easy to go against the herd.

also trading seems to be one of the only professions where people take advice from bulletin boards and chat rooms / books / newsletters and so on, often from people with no proven credentials

1 setup, understand the risk / reward, hit the button, close out at profit or loss and wait for the next one....there is no emotional involvement if you trade within your risk parameters.

Depth Trade

Experienced member
1,848 98
ok im not professing to be a master trader or saying that im setting the trading world on fire....but i think the statement that trading is sooo tough is wide of the mark.

the system is unimportant. a 50 % win to loss ratio is enough to make money.

risk should be the primary concern and is usually the last of the losing trader.

too many people fall back on the 95% lose stats....after all its never easy to go against the herd.

also trading seems to be one of the only professions where people take advice from bulletin boards and chat rooms / books / newsletters and so on, often from people with no proven credentials

1 setup, understand the risk / reward, hit the button, close out at profit or loss and wait for the next one....there is no emotional involvement if you trade within your risk parameters.
... yeah, a cake walk.

Priceman

Established member
757 84
Give it up!

JT (and anyone else for that matter), Have you not ever just thought that you're crap and will never be good enough to cut it in this game? (I have often thought this and still do sometimes mate so this is nothing personal!)

At least you can try something else if that's the case and say 'oh well it's not for me, you live and learn.'

I still know how to find ya ;) all the best

Rupert206

78 22
It can be done..You just need to have the right mentality and determination. Some people aren't just cut out for trading..they dont have the right personality. We cant all be doctors, airline pilots etc..You need to have the bin men and the homeless..The loosers feed the winners...The world continues to go round and round, and the gap between rich and poor gets wider and wider.

Paul71

2,056 412
Unlike many other professions, there's not much in the way of a grey area in trading. Broadly speaking, traders fall into three categories: 1) consistently profitable. 2) the 'slow bleed'. 3) here today, gone tomorrow after a major blow out. The market doesn't really factor in grey areas - you can either do it or you can't. It's black and white - just check your P/L to see which side of the divide you're on. In most other walks of life, one can get by being middle of the road, neither terrible nor exceptional. Indeed, this ground is occupied by the majority of people. That's what makes this game soooo tough, IMO, you really have to be very good just to be able to stand still, let alone make any real money. On that note - best of luck JT, I hope you hack it and thank you for your great input over the years.
Best wishes,
Tim.

We/us/people, have trouble dealing with the harsh environment of trading, because it's unlike anything we have ever known. You can be absolutely bang on about the set up and still come out a loser, in a 'normal' working environment a person can get to the top because thier face fits or whatever, not so in trading. I like the purity of trading in that respect, but i think some people can see what is needed to be seen quicker than others, what i think most have trouble with is cultivating the correct mindset to harness what they see and create the complete deal. It's not easy, because we are used to socially accepted comfort zones where mistakes can be brushed under the carpet, not so in trading.

ShortsandLongs

1 0
I don't get why you're quitting T2W. How's that going to help?

Fair enough if you had blown up, and said you'd never trade again and wanted complete closure, but this isn't the case.

Ian

JTrader

5,741 506
Trading really does kick you in the teeth at every opportunity - that is the harsh reality.

For me, today has been an absolute freak of a day. Totally disimilar to any other with a similar range and chart formation that i have experienced using my method. A few more like this, and i will have no choice but to call it a day, and cash in what i have. In some ways, such a thing would be a relief tbh.

Anyhows, still doing a post mortem on today, and seeing if/what went wrong, though tbh i really dnt think i did much wrong at all - just freak/randomness made my valid entires turn into losers, and the non-valid entires grab the movement, whereas on another (most) day all my valid entries could easily have been mostly winners, with winners considerably bigger than losers.

Thats the harshness of trading - you follow your rules, and it can all come undone by freakish randomness.

As with life, in trading you never know whats round the corner, and whats more, you have no control over it, all you can do is limit the risk, and hope to maximise profit taking.