Hypnosis anyone?

needabuck

Hey there,

I saw the psychology tab and it looked like some of you may have info that could be useful.

I've been trading stocks and options for the last 15+ years. It has only become an issue in the last 3-6 months through of a fear of losing $$ when I put on a futures trade. I trade (when I do) the minidow YM contracts.

I talked with a local hypnosis place/school, and didn't get very far with them. It seemed like they wanted to train me to become a hypnotist more than they wanted to treat me. I figured that self hypnosis would prolly be best and free or very cheap at that. I was looking at AMZN at some of their MP3 downloads but can't decide if I need to "relax" or if I need to "harness $$/wealth" etc... I'm self employed and business is fine. I trade part time but want to make it more of a full time venture.

Any thoughts or suggestions regarding hypnosis, how it helped, how often you need to revisit the self hypnosis CDs/mp3s etc...

Much thanks!

Hi needabuck, I tried hypnosis many years ago, can't say that it changed my life,
one big disadvantage is finding the right person who is good at what they do......that alone could take years and lots of $$$, all to often its about selling you a dvd/cd or book on the subject,
you've been trading for around 15 +years, and the fear of losing has become an issue in the past 3-6 months, its hardly surprising dude, these are exceptional times, good luck with the hypnosis,

Hey there,

I saw the psychology tab and it looked like some of you may have info that could be useful.

I've been trading stocks and options for the last 15+ years. It has only become an issue in the last 3-6 months through of a fear of losing $$ when I put on a futures trade. I trade (when I do) the minidow YM contracts.

I talked with a local hypnosis place/school, and didn't get very far with them. It seemed like they wanted to train me to become a hypnotist more than they wanted to treat me. I figured that self hypnosis would prolly be best and free or very cheap at that. I was looking at AMZN at some of their MP3 downloads but can't decide if I need to "relax" or if I need to "harness $$/wealth" etc... I'm self employed and business is fine. I trade part time but want to make it more of a full time venture.

Any thoughts or suggestions regarding hypnosis, how it helped, how often you need to revisit the self hypnosis CDs/mp3s etc...

Much thanks!

i had hypnosis about 2-3 years ago in London, i enjoyed it and it did make me think about the markets and they way i traded differently. the first session was free and then i had to pay.

if you want i could try and find contact details, and they guy did not try and sell me any books dvd's or anything else.

Hey there,

Much thanks!

Hi there

If you've been trading for 15 years has anything changed for you personally into considering hypnosis?

If you are experiencing of the big three living changing situations ie Debt, Divorce or Death then those are the issues that need addressing not the trading. Best perhaps to step away until those are resolved.

Otherwise 6 months of unusual market volatility may have thrown you causing a sense of loss of control and there are possible steps to alleviate this.

1. Take a break until the markets settle down.
2. Revise your strategy and never enter a trade without defining risk and reward - precise entry and exit.
3. Reduce position size.
4. Limit your losses by ceasing trading for the day/week after drawdown of X percentage of account.

Good trading.

Debt, Divorce or Death then those are the issues that need addressing not the trading. Best perhaps to step away until those are resolved.

Thats definitely going to cause a few issues for your trading abilities! Although not sure how you'd resolve that one! ;)

you're much better off going down the NLP route

longer-term gains and you can control the input

Hypnosis can be useful if you can find someone who understands what traders do and what's involved in trading. My speciality is Emotional Freedom Techniques which can be used for all manner of emotional and psychological issues.

i forgot to mention, since i had my hypnosis if a i have a losing trade i cluck like a chicken and if i have a winner i go out and traet myself to a lap dance or two!

:devilish: :devilish: :devilish: :devilish: :devilish: :devilish: :devilish: :devilish:

you're much better off going down the NLP route

longer-term gains and you can control the input

nlp and hypnosis are pretty much indistinguishable, van tharp and mark douglas etc are nlp based. more effective, imo, are the cognitive behavioural based approach’s for trading related problems. there is surprisingly little trading specific literature on this, although the best I have come across is "enhancing trader performance", steenberger, which has a couple of chapters on it.

Hey there,

Much thanks!

this thread is making me very sleepy, very, very sleepy.... :cheesy:

I can relate to your issues. I myself contemplated all this, and NLP, including Time-Line-Therapy.
The problem with all this, is that its not your trading, its your reaction to your trading thats the problem.
rols' post is pretty good on this.

"harness wealth"?? how do you do that? other than collect £x.xx for every download, and thats for the maker of the mp3.

the issue could be that generalist hypnotherapists dont understand the specifics of trading to understand the major underlying causes of trading-related issues.

Have you had a look at Ed Seykotas Trading Tribe website?
http://www.seykota.com/tribe/TT_Process/index.htm

you need to address what emotions you are tackling that stop you performing effectively.
from a personal perspective, I improved when I saw my trading as my performance over last 100-trades, or last-100-days; effectively, not be bothered by a single trade.

I would recommend getting any NLP primer, and understand "swish" and reframing as a starting point.

EDIT: the power of Google!!!
this site seems to give the essences. read the 8-rules, and it has pages on the Swish and the principle of the Reframe.
nlp, eight rules that can change your life

Last edited: