Hunting secrets revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well just to throw another spanner in the works...I respectfully submit that FA,TA,and any other sort of A ...is all TA. The reason being that all of it in one form or another is about measuring. What is measuring if it is not technical !

Well just to throw another spanner in the works...I respectfully submit that FA,TA,and any other sort of A ...is all TA. The reason being that all of it in one form or another is about measuring. What is measuring if it is not technical !

Not all of the fundamentals of a business can be measured.

a few years back, I was invested in one of the UAL/Delta feeder airlines. As UAL got into trouble, the feeder airline changed their model and became a 'budget airline'.

They had gone from a guaranteed revenue stream to a rather risky direct sales model.

Add to that they were flying planes that were way less efficient than those run by the budget airlines they'd be competing with.

At this point, I exited my positions at a profit. They went bankrupt not long after.

All of this is fundamental analysis. None of it can be measured or represented in charts or squiggly lines. It's just common sense.

Weights and measures.

All right then...on this occasion you weighed up the pro's and cons and made a decision.
Weighing is just another form of measuring.

None of it can be measured or represented in charts or squiggly lines. It's just common sense.

...exactly.

Last edited:
Weights and measures.

All right then...on this occasion you weighed up the pro's and cons and made a decision.
Weighing is just another form of measuring.

None of it can be measured or represented in charts or squiggly lines. It's just common sense.

...exactly.

So you are still saying that all analysis is TA ?

That what I did on that occasion was actually technical analysis ?

So you are still saying that all analysis is TA ?
Yes
That what I did on that occasion was actually technical analysis ?

Yes, unless someone can convince me otherwise.

The fact that no charts or squiggly lines were involved doesn't mean it was not TA. You used the super computer to evaluate the information at hand and arrived at a decision. Weather the decision was right or wrong is probably irrelevant. It's the decision making process however we arrive at it, thats key.

As someone who is also in business once said to me...any decision right or wrong is better than no decision....what he was implying was...everything is constantly shifting and we have to constantly monitor and evaluate based on latest information and as a result of that...make decisions.

Everything has names..people like to put things in boxes..Fundamental Analysis...well that's fine..it tells other people generally what the subject is about...but look deeper into it and what is FA exactly?

CV - so you'd like to attach the name "TA" to everything and then object to people using "FA" to describe some things.

If you need definitions :

What Does Technical Analysis Mean?
A method of evaluating securities by analyzing statistics generated by market activity, such as past prices and volume. Technical analysts do not attempt to measure a security's intrinsic value, but instead use charts and other tools to identify patterns that can suggest future activity.

Technical analysts believe that the historical performance of stocks and markets are indications of future performance.

In a shopping mall, a fundamental analyst would go to each store, study the product that was being sold, and then decide whether to buy it or not. By contrast, a technical analyst would sit on a bench in the mall and watch people go into the stores. Disregarding the intrinsic value of the products in the store, the technical analyst's decision would be based on the patterns or activity of people going into each store.

What Does Fundamental Analysis Mean?
A method of evaluating a security that entails attempting to measure its intrinsic value by examining related economic, financial and other qualitative and quantitative factors. Fundamental analysts attempt to study everything that can affect the security's value, including macroeconomic factors (like the overall economy and industry conditions) and company-specific factors (like financial condition and management).

The end goal of performing fundamental analysis is to produce a value that an investor can compare with the security's current price, with the aim of figuring out what sort of position to take with that security (underpriced = buy, overpriced = sell or short).

This method of security analysis is considered to be the opposite of technical analysis.

Fundamental analysis is about using real data to evaluate a security's value. Although most analysts use fundamental analysis to value stocks, this method of valuation can be used for just about any type of security.

For example, an investor can perform fundamental analysis on a bond's value by looking at economic factors, such as interest rates and the overall state of the economy, and information about the bond issuer, such as potential changes in credit ratings. For assessing stocks, this method uses revenues, earnings, future growth, return on equity, profit margins and other data to determine a company's underlying value and potential for future growth. In terms of stocks, fundamental analysis focuses on the financial statements of the company being evaluated.

Well that description of FA uses all the words I used.....now strip it bare.
measuring, weighing, evaluating, computing...these are all technical terms.

I'm not arguing about what's in a name...if people want to say FA I don't have a problem with that.

Well that description of FA uses all the words I used.....now strip it bare.
measuring, weighing, evaluating, computing...these are all technical terms.

I'm not arguing about what's in a name...if people want to say FA I don't have a problem with that.

You full well know what pure TA is. You know what another trader refers to when they mention TA & you know what another trader refers to when they mention FA. The two are not the same. For instance, the whole of TA can be measured but the whole of FA cannot be measured.

Right now, Abercrombie & Fitch are having a tough time because they've gone out of fashion. This is not something you can measure by a metric. There is no 'fashionability index' on which you can see that A&F have slid down and double bottomed and may be ready for at least a retrace to a recent point of fashionability.

If you want a discussion on semantics, why not go to dictionary.com ? :p

If you want to brew things down to specific dictionary definitions to prove that fundamental and technical analysis are the same, then I can only suggest that you stick to TA because that is exactly what a technician would do.

Interestingly, I have been badged "Anti-TA" on this thread and the TA people have come out to defend something that no-one has yet attacked.

The use of ONLY TA - just looking at a chart with/without squiggly lines and predicting what will happen next is what is being bashed to some extent. Maybe some people can make consistent money on all instruments just by looking at a chart and some squiggly lines and guessing what will happen next.

I have yet to meet such a person that makes a living this way.

Everything has names..people like to put things in boxes..Fundamental Analysis...well that's fine..it tells other people generally what the subject is about...but look deeper into it and what is FA exactly?

Ok, well lets put everything rightfully back into the correct boxes because this is exactly what the 95% can understand and can work with:cheesy: It's all they deserve anyway right !

Yes, unless someone can convince me otherwise.

The fact that no charts or squiggly lines were involved doesn't mean it was not TA. You used the super computer to evaluate the information at hand and arrived at a decision. Weather the decision was right or wrong is probably irrelevant. It's the decision making process however we arrive at it, thats key.

As someone who is also in business once said to me...any decision right or wrong is better than no decision....what he was implying was...everything is constantly shifting and we have to constantly monitor and evaluate based on latest information and as a result of that...make decisions.

It's "whether" not 'weather'.
Please DO try to set an example..........

You're wrong, TA as a whole is just an indicator of reality, and a poor one at that. I prefer to cut out the middleman and trade reality.

V,

Let people get on with doing whatever they want to do. Everyone is happy then, and nobody can moan, it's a perfect model. It becomes even more perfect when the happy traders making happy money start selling thier systems to other people and teaching. Trading is just one big happy world where nobody is ever wrong about anything and everyones gets a big fat piece of the cake. Howz that for a slice of fried bullion!?

Take care.

Paul.

I've been on 'ere less than a year and have lost count of the times these type of threads gravitate towards a price action v TA argument/discussion. As always the standard riposte is "even Price Action guys rely on some form of TA in order to make decisions".

It's fairly obvious that once you've traded for years then you can see things happening in the markets and act without the reliance on so many of the indicators confirmed chartists need.

If, for example, I took 62 trades last week and netted 1630 pips, someone of Virtuoso's pedigree may scoff, shake head, virtually clip me behind the ear and show how so much less effort could have realised far more profit without the grief, ensuring I could have spent a lot less time in front of the screen thinking I was learning my new trade. That big gun hunting technique will arrive in time I'm sure, I'm almost sure I'm giving too much to IG and FXCM, for now my low risk surgical strikes appear to be sitting comfortably in my pysche...and for now that has to be OK.

This should be month, not week...

Pfft... that it?;)

Below my self imposed target of at least 100 pips per trading day...:confused: Ya know why? I tried to get clever/more discretionary...:D One hour charts, less trades, sit back/manage/contemplate, feeling all clever like... Fook all that off next month; back to 10-15 minute TFs, when it all lines up then Kapow!!!

Below my self imposed target of at least 100 pips per trading day...:confused: Ya know why? I tried to get clever/more discretionary...:D One hour charts, less trades, sit back/manage/contemplate, feeling all clever like... Fook all that off next month; back to 10-15 minute TFs, when it all lines up then Kapow!!!

Welcome to my world lol. At least raking a good few in. Oh and MACD fucn works!

What is a moving average and how is it formulated? I've personally only ever thought of them as fancy trend lines, but there is obviously a bit more to them than that. Can anyone demystify my mystical wonderment?

What is a moving average and how is it formulated? I've personally only ever thought of them as fancy trend lines, but there is obviously a bit more to them than that. Can anyone demystify my mystical wonderment?

A moving average is a mystical beast; mythical in nature and of mythical origins. Interestingly enough; as a species of the unknown mythical tribe - these creatures have never been seen due to their mystical movements.

The moving average is an average that is moving; except when it occasionally isn't moving - Thats interesting about this is how the moving average moves even though sometimes it mythically is believed to struggle to move - it really is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.