how to find the free float of a company

bullboy8

For those of you who doesn't know what "free float" means-the percentage of a companies equity avaible to trade.

My question is this. when i went to check the share price of egg (been delisted now) it says 819,000,000 shares and Prudential owns 78.97% of the shares. Does the 819,000,000 represent the whole 100% or the circa 21% of equity?

2) how would i be possible to find the free float of sainsbury. I mean, i can obtain the market cap which is about 5.5billion at the moment but how do i know this is 100% equity of sainsbury? thanks..

I hope by asking this question, will also help peeople understand the terminology " free float" better.

bullboy8 said:
when i went to check the share price of egg (been delisted now) it says 819,000,000 shares and Prudential owns 78.97% of the shares. Does the 819,000,000 represent the whole 100% or the circa 21% of equity?
One can't be certain because it depends where you 'checked the share price', but the 819m shares is very probably the total shares in issue. As important would be to know whether this diluted or undiluted (ie post exercise of any convertible bonds, options, etc). If this stuff is really important for whatever it is you want to do with it, you probably need to go to the company accounts which will be more reliable than a website.

bullboy8 said:
2) how would i be possible to find the free float of sainsbury. I mean, i can obtain the market cap which is about 5.5billion at the moment but how do i know this is 100% equity of sainsbury? thanks..
A website like DigitalLook (or the company accounts) lists major shareholders for companies. If there is no strategic holder of a big lump then it will be 100% free-float.