how to become a market maker?

mralph

Hello y'all,
so i've hit 22 and after 2 yrs in a fairly introductory advisory broking role at a small firm I would very much like to make the transition to market making/liquidity providing/committed principle type of role for one of the big guys.
However, I've found that without any real specific kind of a trading background im not too sure how to go about applying for these type of positions (which are never advertised so i find myself sending out speculative e-mails by the handful, all of which to no avail). I was most surprised to learn that through the 800 small-mid caps EVO cover they only operate an 11 man team? (each mm having to watch 72odd stocks a day?)
I know this site isn't a recruitment agency but will any1 be able to give a few pointers on where I should start? if there are any good texts on the role of MM that go beyond the obvious, slightly more techy/good ammo for an interview? also, what makes a good mm? the daily role of a mm etc etc?? Ideally Winterfloods is #1 choice for me as they have the ETFs trading platform in place (which is something that interests me) and they have obviously carved themselves a nieche as the principle small cap MM.
anyone here have any experience as a MM? that'd be great.

many thanks in advance.

Mark :cool: