How smart are you MPs?

timsk

Legendary member
7,304 2,089
Whoa, I made the really silly mistake of clicking on your link Alexa! For me, that's worse than an arachnophobia sufferer being forced to watch a heavy duty horror film about giant man eating spiders. On the plus side, I'm thinking it isn't a basic GCSE paper for 16 year olds which, given that my answer is wrong, makes me feel a tad less stupid.
:D
Tim.

Reactions: alexaherself

alexaherself

Established member
560 149
On the plus side, I'm thinking it isn't a basic GCSE paper for 16 year olds
Noooooo, far from it! :eek:

My answer is 90% (reasoning follows) ...

The probability of coin A coming up heads twice, from two consecutive flips, is 1/4 x 1/4, which is 1/16.

The probability of coin B coming up heads twice, from two consecutive flips, is 3/4 x 3/4, which is 9/16.

Therefore the hindsight-probability, given random selection from the two alternative coins, is that coin B was 9 times as likely to produce this outcome as coin A, and the chances of it having been coin B are therefore 90%.

I think. :)

(And the second part of that question is extremely complicated, as is often the case with two-part questions from that source!).

Reactions: tomorton

Pat494

Legendary member
14,329 1,496
I see The Queen is currently in Malta to host The Commonwealth conference. She could drop in on Alexa's folks for a cuppa ?

:)

Pat494

Legendary member
14,329 1,496
my guess is 1 in 4 times or 25%.

hhiusa

2,687 139
33% .......right ?
The proability of two events occuring together is represented by the product of their probabilities.

The odds are 1/2 for heads with one quarter and the same for the other quarter.

P(C) = P(A)*P(B) = (1/2)*(1/2) = 1/4

Reactions: Pat494
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock