How many instruments do you trade?

I only watch /ES and /CL, with 80% of my attention being favored towards /ES. I tried watching bonds, currencies, gold, etc. and it was just too much for me. I chose /ES because of how liquid it is and /CL for the volatility moves.

I was just wondering if the majority of traders just focus on one instrument or multiples?

Currently, I'm trading 3 instruments -- a cointegrated triplet of ETFs. I look for a divergence from equilibrium of this portfolio and bet on it's return to equilibrium. It's similar to a Bollinger Band approach or pair trading.

I trade 4, most trades happen on crude oil and nasdaq.
Other 2 instruments i watch are S&P and natural gas, but i trade these not as much as the instruments mentioned above.\
I do use a multiple screen setup, if i would only have 2 screens i would only watch 2 instruments.
I find it very disturbing and not good for my concentration to have to click trough different charts.

Just the one - No prizes for guessing which one it is ;)

However I will switch to the S&P and/or DOW if the DAX waits for direction.

How many markets to trade?

Excellent question at the present I trade just one market reason any more than that I fine it's hard mentally . Trading can be a beast in itself why add to it. With one market I am more relax, really learn the characteristics of that particular market.
This is just what I do each person has to find what is comfortable for them.

Excellent question at the present I trade just one market reason any more than that I fine it's hard mentally . Trading can be a beast in itself why add to it. With one market I am more relax, really learn the characteristics of that particular market.
This is just what I do each person has to find what is comfortable for them.

good answer ....I agree ......theortically my approach allows me to trade 28 pairs of currencies ...but in truth i probably only trade no more that 3-4 pairs max at any one time

I recommend beginners become an expert in just one instrument before thinking they are good enough to trade more ......all instruments demonstate individual personalities ....so learn them

N

I normally trade 1 market. With enough exposure you get familiar with the trends and patterns and are more confident going in to the trade.

I prefer to trade in only one instrument which is FX but i can start with other instruments of trading future.