How far can you go with spreadbetting?

You're kidding right? You want slow...try any of the web based brokers.
And if you're getting slow fills, stop using market orders...what do you expect.

Not kidding. GFT's Deal Book does work faster than their browser-based platform, but only in drawing charts, etc. Fills seem the same to me, which is slower than other SBs.

Not kidding. GFT's Deal Book does work faster than their browser-based platform, but only in drawing charts, etc. Fills seem the same to me, which is slower than other SBs.

Oh well, I get instant fills with preset orders, they are timestamped according to the dealing desk I speak with sometimes.
For the market orders, you will get requoted if price moves too much.

My understanding is that the fills can be slow as they need to be confirmed by their internal dealing desk. In my experience I usually get the filled at the price which was offered at the time I placed the market order. Hence I'm not really that concerned if it takes 10-15seconds. They are market makers after all rather than DMA.

Has anyone actually traded £500pp with a spread better - there can't be many people taking the other side of that position, wouldn't you have to start trading in the real market?
£500pp on GU is £7.5m in the real market place with the leverage.

That really isn't a great deal on a major.

are spreadbetting firms impartial?

are spreadbetting firms totally transparent and impartial or do you get the feeling theyre systems are rigged and against you.

Consider the following scenario - BP equities are trading on the London exchange at £4.10. I'm long and have a stop set at £4.00. The spread betting company can see my stop and can calculate that if they force the price to £4.00 or £3.99 and snap back to £4.10 before they can be arbitraged they will immediately make £0.10 per unit at our expense. This is 'stop hunting'.

Stop hunting is quite common. I've seen this quite a bit on IG but not on GFT as of yet.

Consider the following scenario - BP equities are trading on the London exchange at £4.10. I'm long and have a stop set at £4.00. The spread betting company can see my stop and can calculate that if they force the price to £4.00 or £3.99 and snap back to £4.10 before they can be arbitraged they will immediately make £0.10 per unit at our expense. This is 'stop hunting'.

Stop hunting is quite common. I've seen this quite a bit on IG but not on GFT as of yet.

Yeah, they must have just targeted you.
I can see now why people leave this forum.

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Another one that thinks the SB firms are out to get you with stop hunting :p

Yo ever thought that your stop is in the wrong place rather than the SB firm hunting it!

You have a stop at a square £4.00 with an entry at 4.10 then you deserve to be stopped out :LOL: why would you place your stop at a nice round £4 ?

ps. any idea how much it would cost to move BP from 4.10 to 4.00 ? do you hoestly think the SB firm set out to move the MARKET to take out "your" stop ?

Get a grip.

I mean what is the BP FSS? £1 in every £5 on the FTSE100. THAT means for every £5 value on the FTSE BP stand for £1.

So good on you if you think IG take that kind of postion size on just to take out your little spread bet.:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Hey Guys - You're discussing my post re 'stop hunting'. I don't think that all spread betting firms are out to get you but was replying to the post above.

Yes, I have had examples where my stops have been exercised with IG when the underlying asset has never touched that price. As too have friends of mine.

Xenophobia - you have misread my concept. BP stays at £4.10. IG's representation of this leads to £4.00 and back very quickly.

Allow me to clarify my hypothetical example -

It's a particular day. BP equities open on the LSE at 4.10. I am already long with IG. I have a stop set with IG at 4.00. At the end of the day I am surprised to see that on the LSE, BP equities have a high of 4.15 and a low of 4.05 however my stop with IG has been hit at 4.00. This is the scenario which both myself and friends have encountered.

I phone IG to question them to which which they respend that I'm actually trading IG's market-made market (which lowed at say 3.99) not the underlying BP equities market (which lowed at 4.05) and hence that is fine (with them).

I'm well aware that it required a very big trade to move the market, expecially for BP!

Stop Hunting does happen unfortunately.

Allow me to clarify my hypothetical example -

It's a particular day. BP equities open on the LSE at 4.10. I am already long with IG. I have a stop set with IG at 4.00. At the end of the day I am surprised to see that on the LSE, BP equities have a high of 4.15 and a low of 4.05 however my stop with IG has been hit at 4.00. This is the scenario which both myself and friends have encountered.

I phone IG to question them to which which they respend that I'm actually trading IG's market-made market (which lowed at say 3.99) not the underlying BP equities market (which lowed at 4.05) and hence that is fine (with them).

I'm well aware that it required a very big trade to move the market, expecially for BP!

Stop Hunting does happen unfortunately.

That's funny because they told me that they get feeds from several liquidity providers and give the best spread of the bunch lol.

I don't trade with IG anymore. In the past two years I have had no issues with my current spread betting provider. They have been great and usually tighter spreads and rolls than IG.

IG can take feeds from as many liquidity providers as they like - it's still hard to answer why you get stopped out on prices well below where the underlying market went. Not a fan ;)

If you think that IG is inventing prices to take out you and your friends' spread bets, you should probably not trade with IG Index.

Psmith

Indicative Pricing. They wont hunt your stop but hey if they do their prices are
indicative. Im happy with SB but i trade withe few SB and use MT4 from a another
and ive seen where im long at 3 to 5 quid a point and the price moves in my favor
by 15 pips. Hey i should be up 45 to 75 quid. but even with spread my winnings
are 25 or 50 quid instead of above. They dont always stop run but can keep a delayed
price here and there. Ive also seen me hover at a few quid profit and seen the market break 20 points and then come back yet my profit only moves a few quid in my favor then back to where i originally was. Not the same when it goes against me though.

Not complaining though as i use them for what i need them for. If they were STP why need a load of account managers to put you on delaer referral.

Ged

My guess (and it is only a guess) is that it depends on which type of spread-betting firm you use. If you select a 'Market Maker' then there is a potential risk that they would be basically scared of you. But if you use a firm that provides Direct Market Access then it shouldn't harm them at all, in fact they would probably offer you a discount (tighter spreads) on your trades; at least they should since your volume would be relatively high.

He saying they make money off of spread not betting against you as it;s not certain. However, I've seen a statement on this site somewhere (I think it was from IG) showing customer profits and losses over the financial year.
Something like >95% lost money so I'd say taking the opp side to all clients would be a fairly certain bet, especially if you look at the £pp they trade. Anyone who's doing 100+ per pip obviously has an idea what they're doing or is an idiot so I'd just monitor their account for a bit to see whether they actually make money or they are just some gambling winnet. In the case of the latter you could take the other side of their trade too.

Simple really.

Plus you make spread as well!

Sure, but follow the logic through.... 5% made a killing... so its a zero sum. And if the SB just automatically takes the opposite, they would make ZERO too.

It's tempting to think trading is a zero sum game but it's not. A private game of poker between a few friends is a good example of a zero sum game, ie the sum of the total wealth at the beginning is the same as the sum of the total wealth at the end. However the equities market is not like this as the value of the assets we trade changes.

The only zero sum is the amount left in most punters' accounts. I'm sure spread bet companies cry all the way to the bank.

the sb company will also pick up & keep interest from aggregate customer deposits and also trade a large fraction of the deposits in their own book - on the understanding that it is extremely unlikely that all customers will want to close their accounts tomorrow - just like banks and insurance companies will invest customers deposits/premiums. free money!

i have this info from an exec of one of the larger sb firms a few years back at an industry event/party.

I guess your exec used to work for some dodgy or unregulated company as it's FSA requirements that all customer funds are segregated. Brokers are not allowed to use theif funds and only withdraw the money when the customer loses.

There should be some hedging regulations as well but you have to check it yourself.

That's why it's important that people only trade with FSA regulated brokers.