How Dow, FTSE 100, Nikkei 225 etc trade 24 hours a day?

kingfisher3210

I see at http://www.igmarkets.co.uk/- Dow, FTSE 100, Nikkei 225, Germany 30 + many more indices trade 24 hours a day.

Infact, the gap up/down opening which occurs when these exchanges open closely resemble those ig markets prices.

Where these indices trade 24 hours a day? I mean from where IG markets or other spread betting companies are getting their live feed?

I see at http://www.igmarkets.co.uk/- Dow, FTSE 100, Nikkei 225, Germany 30 + many more indices trade 24 hours a day.

Infact, the gap up/down opening which occurs when these exchanges open closely resemble those ig markets prices.

Where these indices trade 24 hours a day? I mean from where IG markets or other spread betting companies are getting their live feed?

They dont trade 24hrs a day, the mini S&P and mini Dow trade 23 and a bit hours a day but the European ones close late evening and open again next morning. The spreadbetting companies are never quoting you the real price of the market, they are quoting you their own synthetic price. When the market is closed they continue to 'make up' a price and quote you that, I dont know how they determine this price but what I do know is that I wouldnt want to touch it with a bargepole, its asking for trouble.

In any case I dont think you will be able to spreadbet as you appear from your profile to be in the US. Your former great leader banned you all from any form of online betting.

They dont trade 24hrs a day, the mini S&P and mini Dow trade 23 and a bit hours a day but the European ones close late evening and open again next morning. The spreadbetting companies are never quoting you the real price of the market, they are quoting you their own synthetic price. When the market is closed they continue to 'make up' a price and quote you that, I dont know how they determine this price but what I do know is that I wouldnt want to touch it with a bargepole, its asking for trouble.

In any case I dont think you will be able to spreadbet as you appear from your profile to be in the US. Your former great leader banned you all from any form of online betting.

Thanks Mate. I appreciate your useful reply. It looks to me since after FTSE 100 closes, DJ 30 is still open and then after 4 hours, Nikkei 225/asian market opens, spread betting companies make up their synthetic quotes based on how those market is doing.

Yes, i also trade directly through exchange and will not trade through spread betting companies.

But interesting thing is at the time of opening FTSE 100 or Nikkei 225 or DJ 30, it opens at almost same price where spread betting company is quoting. It is a nice way to know the unpredictable future.

Thanks Mate. I appreciate your useful reply. It looks to me since after FTSE 100 closes, DJ 30 is still open and then after 4 hours, Nikkei 225/asian market opens, spread betting companies make up their synthetic quotes based on how those market is doing.

Yes, i also trade directly through exchange and will not trade through spread betting companies.

But interesting thing is at the time of opening FTSE 100 or Nikkei 225 or DJ 30, it opens at almost same price where spread betting company is quoting. It is a nice way to know the unpredictable future.

Firstly, the prices they quote on the FTSE 24 hours a day are based on the DOW and Nikkei live prices as you have suggested. The FTSE closing price just tracks the DOW and then the Nikkei tick for tick or thereabouts until the UK morning.

Second, the FTSE opens at almost the same price as IG is quoting because of voodoo magic! Seriously though, its because for the index there is a pre-open in the actual market not IG, where market participants are given an indication of the opening price based on the number and size of bids/offers placed in the pre open. So IG just use this pre opening indicator price and skew their spread towards it.

If you trade directly through exchange you can get this opening price indicator, just need to tweak your trading platform.