Health issues, need advice!

dekka

I'm young but have developed problems with my neck and back right after college. I actually turned down a few trading interviews initially because I was in so much pain for a while. I've gotten better since then, and took on a less stressful finance related job. I don't know I'll be able to get back to normal, but I'd still like to go into trading. My question was whether or not there were trading jobs where the day to day work was not intensive, where I could take breaks during the day to stretch for a minute or two here and there. Maybe jobs where I don't close positions at the end of the day? Or what kind of trading jobs are less stressful physically? I do have a finance/math background if that helps.

Thanks for any input!

Edit: I should have added this before, but for people with back issues, sitting at a desk all day is one of the worst things you can do. My understanding of most trading jobs is that you need to sit in front of a computer for most fo the day without breaks, lest you risk losing money by missing a move. That's where my concern is, and I've already done a lot of physical therapy and etc just to get to where I am now. My workspace is ergonomic,but for serious back issues, it's still hard to get through the day at a desk. I think its one of those things you need to experience to understand.

Last edited:
I read an article about a guy at Goldman who had a really debilitating illness (cant remember the details unfortunately) and was wheelchair bound but got into a top trading position through sheer determination and immense intellect.

I'm young but have developed problems with my neck and back right after college. I actually turned down a few trading interviews initially because I was in so much pain for a while. I've gotten better since then, and took on a less stressful finance related job. I don't know I'll be able to get back to normal, but I'd still like to go into trading. My question was whether or not there were trading jobs where the day to day work was not intensive, where I could take breaks during the day to stretch for a minute or two here and there. Maybe jobs where I don't close positions at the end of the day? Or what kind of trading jobs are less stressful physically? I do have a finance/math background if that helps.

Thanks for any input!

Trading involves sitting doing jack **** for hours on end.

Getting physically comprimised health from trading is at best - difficult. The main physical health risk is probably muscular atrophy.

If trading is for you, find a comfy swivel chair, and sit at a good desk with plenty of space on it, with your chair and desk at the appropriate hight for your posture.

How To Properly Adjust Your Office Chair

Dont sit like a doughnut for hours on end doing nothing, get up, move about, stretch, etc. on a regular basis throughout the day to avoid discomfort.

Trading is probably the least physically demanding job in existence. After professional sleeper.