Harry The Cat

I can see, based on a few losing traders posts from last night, how the human condition might extend to more than just trading. Is it possible those same people can be clearly off the rails in one sphere of their lives, but in the zone on any other? My instinct is, and that's pretty well honed as an urban cat, that they are probably as effective in every area of their lives.

So avoiding their agitated state would seem key if I'm to be successful in trading. We do have a few cats like that. They've had a rough time of it due to lack of basic skills and blame all the other cats for their own shortcomings. Best to just ignore them.

I'm looking for momentum to get on board so I shouldn't need to give it too much room if I've got it right. I took the view I'd get taken out far more often than I hit a good run, but that I would exit a bad one at the first hint of trouble reducing my losses per losing trades to the merest fraction of initial amount risked and when I did catch a move, the rewards based on small stop and large position size should exceed my accumulated losses over the long run. That was the theory and proved to be sound on back-test. Didn't quite match my back-test results on demo, but did well enough to convince me to go live. My results since trading live have been awful. I'm still trying to pin down what's different and am currently of the view it's my manual/discretionary meddling with trades and a failure to enter/exit as per system rules. Looking at that last sentence and I laughed out loud at the obvious stupidity of what I'm knowingly doing.

Learn to trade mate, then you can be as condescending as you like, until then, shut the feck up.

Trading Timeframe

I need to choose a timeframe in which I wish to trade it? Why?

Should I be tailoring my trading timeframe to arbitrary factors such as lifestyle and other commitments? Should I be sticking with just a single timeframe? Should I allow the price action to inform which trading timeframe I should use and be totally flexible and driven by volatility rather than time slices?

Time is an extremely variable entity: Sometimes things seem to take forever and other times you wish they would. So it seems a strange beast to allow to be the primary driver for all trading activity.

How can one persons 5 minute activity bear any relation to another person trading the same asset on the hourly or daily? All timeframes look the same in that they have ups and downs, but that's about the sum total of the resemblance. There can be no sense in stating it's up in the 5 min and down in the hourly. All you can ever say is price is either up or it is down in relation to a datum point at any given time in the past. I get a sense there is an inherent up-ness or down-ness to any asset and any given time and you need to establish what drum beat the asset is moving to - it's inherent period - rather than paste an arbitrary window on it just for convenience.

"You don't catch mice by reading the paper, posting on bulletin boards ..."

I'm guessing you don't 'catch many mice'!

Thanks for your valuable input.

Haven't you got a forexmospherian post to go and 'like' somewhere? Give him something to do to come back and 'like' you right back, post after post after post...

It was just an observation!
IF you had attended that thread today, you would have benefited from some of his excellent live calls, which you could have liked yourself.
Its free to press the like button, please don't feel i'm the only one allowed to hit it, and join in.

It was just an observation!
IF you had attended that thread today, you would have benefited from some of his excellent live calls, which you could have liked yourself.
Its free to press the like button, please don't feel i'm the only one allowed to hit it, and join in.

spam

Can lessen insult taken by underlining more harmonics on line. Seems when indicators verify every level, harmonics only mark one. Go figure.

Harry the cat

I

So if you jettison any attempt at an ability to predict, what are you left with?
Hi Sigma,
You have disappeared, probably chasing other cats. :cry:
And maybe also because of all these nasty people .:rolleyes:
But you never answered your above question
You started discussing "time"and the lights went out.
Please finish what you started :)
regards
bobc

PS You write very well :smart:

Hi Sigma,
You have disappeared, probably chasing other cats. :cry:
And maybe also because of all these nasty people .:rolleyes:
But you never answered your above question
You started discussing "time"and the lights went out.
Please finish what you started :)
regards
bobc

PS You write very well :smart:

You mean honest people who have seen posters like Sigma many times before....he can't trade his way out of a paper bag.

Harry the cat

Well Sigma,
I guess these guys have got your number.
Pity . You kept me entertained for 9 pages.
Is it possible to trade without a bias?
The moment you say the trend is whatever, you have a bias.
The moment you take the next trade because thats in your plan, you are predicting.
Or am I wrong?
regards
bobc

That's two consecutive losers to add to the 9 previous consecutive losers. Who'd have thought?

LOL

I'm totally stunned nobody, not one person has twigged it yet.

I appreciate there aren't many (any?) experienced traders left on the site any more, but surely even an eager newbie will have spotted the plot by now? Maybe not.

I'll leave this thread dead in the water where it belongs.