GTD - Getting Things Done , To - Do List Management Software

alibaba5055

Hi !

Which software do you use for managing your "Tasks to be done" lists ? I have tried using Excel and Mind Maps, but they are not very efficient at it. While searching for the solution, I came to know about "GTD - Getting Things Done". I wanted to know if you guys have any experience with this ? Which software do you use for managing your priorities properly ?

Thanks for any input

I simply get things done rather than shuffle them around various software applications. Nobody doing anything serious for a living needs a To Do list.

For those who are new to the concept of GTD, here is some basic information from wikipedia -

Getting Things Done - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Getting Things Done is a book by productivity consultant David Allen that describes the method/procedure that he created with the same title name, often referred to simply as GTD.

The Getting Things Done method rests on the idea that a person needs to move tasks out of the mind by recording them externally, so the mind is free from the job of remembering the tasks that need to be completed. One can then concentrate on performing the tasks, instead of remembering.

The Getting Things Done method rests on the idea that a person needs to move tasks out of the mind by recording them externally, so the mind is free from the job of remembering the tasks that need to be completed. One can then concentrate on performing the tasks, instead of remembering.
Which is why it's great for procrastinators.

Out of mind - out of sight.

You need to keep stuff you need to do IN your mind so that it irritates until you get it done.

OK got it, but what happens if someone steals it and starts doing all my **** for me? I'm starting to see some problems with this automated system.

How to Prioritize When Everything Is Important

How to Prioritize When Everything Is Important

You know that sinking feeling you have when there's too much on your plate? When you try to tackle your tasks by priority, but it feels like everything's important? Don't get overwhelmed—it's a problem that everyone faces at some point or another, and while it's difficult to skillfully juggle multiple priorities and competing responsibilities, it's not impossible. Here's how.

It just so happens that there's a career that focuses specifically on juggling competing tasks and priorities: These people are called project managers. And as luck would have it, I was a full time PM for many years, PMP-certified and everything. In that time, I learned a number of helpful tricks that can help you manage your workload at the office as well as your ever-growing list of to-dos at home, with your family, or with your friends. Here's how you can apply some of those techniques to your everyday life.

Keep Two To-Do Lists, One Electronic and One Paper, To Help Prioritize Daily Lists

Keep Two To-Do Lists, One Electronic and One Paper, To Help Prioritize Daily Lists

When you're incredibly busy it's easy to get lost in a massive to-do list. When you're overwhelmed and struggling to see the big picture, productivity blog Day-Time suggests that it's best to keep two lists: one massive catch-all electronic list, and another daily list on paper.

Using Outlook as an example, Day-Timer's suggestion isn't anything new, but it's a helpful reminder for the days when getting everything done seems impossible:

Keep two lists: Outlook stores your master task list; your daily to-do list goes on paper. Always enter a task onto a master task list first.
Label your tasks: It's important that every task on your master task list has a category and due date, two keys for determining priorities.
Make your daily list: Check your Outlook Master Task List and choose 3-5 tasks you absolutely MUST get done today. Then choose another 3-5 you'd LIKE to get done.
Prioritize: Order the tasks by importance, taking into account deadlines and amount of impact on the categories in your life like work, home, family, or specific projects.
Write it down: Put your daily list on paper, making sure you set clear-cut descriptions that will motivate you to get tasks done.

It's a pretty simple process and when you're done you'll have a clear idea of what you need to do today, and have a better view of the big picture plans.

I need to create a list to keep track of my lists? Oh, I will just put that on my To Do list.

Just a thought, but it might be a good idea to create a Procrastination List so that items on the To Do list that appear out of date can be moved to the Procrastination List. This keeps the To Do list fresh and small so it doesn't look like I have much to do.

Peter

Just a thought, but it might be a good idea to create a Procrastination List so that items on the To Do list that appear out of date can be moved to the Procrastination List. This keeps the To Do list fresh and small so it doesn't look like I have much to do.
Peter

Yes, by moving the Non Essential Tasks out from the main list, one would be able to Focus on the top priority tasks first. Once the top priority work gets done then the low priority tasks could be tackled. Otherwise the list could become too big and everything might get mixed up.

But ultimately it depends upon person to person. Some one can work very efficiently without any need for any kind of self help tools and some one might not be able to work efficiently even if he is given the best tools available out there. One should focus on what works for him/her. There is no harm in trying out the tools if they help us in prioritizing our tasks properly and utilize our time and resources in a better way. "Although some people do not need anything like this and they might even consider it as an extra burden... it depends" :)

Thanks

I need to create a list to keep track of my lists? Oh, I will just put that on my To Do list.

Just a thought, but it might be a good idea to create a Procrastination List
no need for that. Procrastination happens by itself. it's like a self fulfilling prophecy :clap:

pen and paper, write the sh@t down and then cross it off
If you need more than one page you are not getting through it fast enough. do you really need a book to tell you that?!

Hi !

Which software do you use for managing your "Tasks to be done" lists ? I have tried using Excel and Mind Maps, but they are not very efficient at it. While searching for the solution, I came to know about "GTD - Getting Things Done". I wanted to know if you guys have any experience with this ? Which software do you use for managing your priorities properly ?

Thanks for any input

For implementing GTD you can use this application:

Gtdagenda.com

You can use it to manage your goals, projects and tasks, set next actions and contexts, use checklists, and a calendar.
Syncs with Evernote and Google Calendar, and also comes with mobile version, and Android and iPhone apps.