Grinding along

rossored

Apart from the usual, can anyone suggest why my PC appears to have gone on a massive go-slow in the last week/ten days.

Its gone so slow, that I have removed over 1GB of data / programs I wasnt using etc and it still hasnt picked up.

I've defragged the mutha, run four virus checks, spyware checks, trojans, blah blah blah and it's still clunking along like a 386 with 32mb of ram : Incidentally, its a P4 2.4Ghz, 256Mb ram, the hard drive is now less than half full.... and if it gets a lot worse, I may end up finding out of it can actually fly.

Suggestions (other than a new PC) would be most welcome.

I thankyou.

Hi

rossored said:
Apart from the usual, can anyone suggest why my PC appears to have gone on a massive go-slow in the last week/ten days.

Its gone so slow, that I have removed over 1GB of data / programs I wasnt using etc and it still hasnt picked up.

I've defragged the mutha, run four virus checks, spyware checks, trojans, blah blah blah and it's still clunking along like a 386 with 32mb of ram : Incidentally, its a P4 2.4Ghz, 256Mb ram, the hard drive is now less than half full.... and if it gets a lot worse, I may end up finding out of it can actually fly.

Suggestions (other than a new PC) would be most welcome.

I thankyou.

Im not a pc expert but had a similar experience a little while ago,it was suggested that i re install windows so i formated the hard drive and re installed windows from new and it fixed the problem on my pc.
Hope this helps
Llew

RR - I suspect this ties in with the problems you were having over the weekend (with OE and IE default apps). Sounds like something's very wrong and I'd be tempted to follow llew's advice. Pain in the trumpet I know, but....

Is there anything specific you can think of that you've done with this m/c recently? Anything which immediately afterwards you had some inkling of a problem?

No, nothing really. I'm very careful with things that I download, etc.

Formatting the hard drive is not even a possibility, but thanks for the suggestion.

Looks like IE is taking quite a lot of usage, but nothing else major. Opening this page it jumped to 94% and as I type is around 30% - but thats pretty much what I'd expect.

Some IE puts temp files in different places so they aren't deleted when you clear cache etc. I have had problems with IE slowing down a lot and have to search for the little devils that had put themselves elsewhere
Have you checked all the different users settings as well?

Much better today after extensive removal of clutter last nite...:rolleyes:

Paul - too much work to format the drive to be honest mate - its my only PC atm, I'm using it for my website, trading and a bunch of other stuff and there's complications with all of it!

Oaty - ran your "cleanup" suggestion : seems to have improved marginally after that. I wonder if I'm now just used to the speed and I keep expecting it to be faster than it actually is... I'm probably going to buy a new PC in the next 2 months (big butt-kicker 3+Ghz and 1000Mb of ram) so I shan't bother with the RAM upgrade.

Thanks for suggestions as always chaps.

RR