GREY1's APPROACH TO TRADING US STOCKS

ImranQ

ImranQ said:
I think you should be able to construct the MACCI on any platform where you have access to the underlying indicator source code such as, TS, Esignal and Metastock. These platforms support plugin indicators. Unfortunately the majority of other platforms are restrictive and have the indicators programmed into the software.

Grey1 - Awesome thread with great information - its nice to see someone giving freely on t2w for a change rather than snake-oiling ! I hope you keep it up !

Many thanks Imran.

dod said:
Is Strategy 3 dependant on prior market direction or does it stand alone?

No it does not . It stands alone

came home late but still managed to make $2256 in no time shorting JOYG . No screen shots as the screen capture thingy is frozen and wont work unless I reboot.
Just looked at the tast manager and it is working @ 98% . OMG I have 4G RAM and still no joy .I wont be trading much next two weeks due to family engagements so if i am late replying to your questions please do forgive me .
My Ameritrade account (Position trades) which i use for hedging purposes against IB intra day is taking advantage of VWAP engine and is up by 37% in 3 weeks . Just one more note. If you code the strategies that i have discussed here and apply the position sizing techniques that I have discussed here then you should soon be profitable even if you are new trader.

CODE the strategies. All you have to do during the trading hour is to execute the trade and that is all.

grey1

Last edited:
Just looked at the tast manager and it is working @ 98% . OMG I have 4G RAM and still no joy

This is most likely due to the intensively heavy CPU use by Radarscreen, it really is very inefficient in its use of PC resource. I suggest that you minimise any RS screens that you do not need to use as this seems to help. It may also be made worse by any indicator being used that has multiple facets to it, ie it is doing multiple calculations across vwap, macci, darvas, ehler etc and then on multiple timeframes and multiple stocks. Tradestation (using Radarscreen) is now relatively old technology and is not optimised for our trading requirements in my view.

Dont get me wrong it is very good but it is getting dated in its capabilities and that is why so much PC resource is used.

Paul

Hi all,

Thanks to Grey1 and everyone for this great thread but, for the less knowledgeable amongst us (i.e. me), it gets confusing about what 'tools' (software etc.) are required for such strategies being discussed here (lots are mentioned). If someone would be kind enough to define a reasonable tool set I would be very grateful. Lets assume the starting point is a brokerage account with IB.

Thanks Again,

Steve

Trader333 said:
This is most likely due to the intensively heavy CPU use by Radarscreen, it really is very inefficient in its use of PC resource. I suggest that you minimise any RS screens that you do not need to use as this seems to help. It may also be made worse by any indicator being used that has multiple facets to it, ie it is doing multiple calculations across vwap, macci, darvas, ehler etc and then on multiple timeframes and multiple stocks. Tradestation (using Radarscreen) is now relatively old technology and is not optimised for our trading requirements in my view.

Dont get me wrong it is very good but it is getting dated in its capabilities and that is why so much PC resource is used.

Paul

Paul

I agree totally. I have spoken to DELL as my computer is a DUAL processor ( what ever that mean ) and i might be able to upgrade to 16G . The amount of calculation is huge and I am 100 % sure if I knew more about PC's I could design a system to predict the market direction with great accuracy . ( calculations on 500 stocks would be sufficient ) .

I am currently sitting here with one hole in my data as I increased my stocks's list to 80 from 60 last night and I am already in deep S**t as the Pc cannot cope . :(

Grey1

evostik said:
Hi all,

Thanks to Grey1 and everyone for this great thread but, for the less knowledgeable amongst us (i.e. me), it gets confusing about what 'tools' (software etc.) are required for such strategies being discussed here (lots are mentioned). If someone would be kind enough to define a reasonable tool set I would be very grateful. Lets assume the starting point is a brokerage account with IB.

Thanks Again,

Steve

All you need is Tradestation . It does all the analysis and all you do is trigger the trade. As simple as that .

Grey1

All you need is Tradestation . It does all the analysis and all you do is trigger the trade. As simple as that .

Grey1

Actually I would say you need Radarscreen more than Tradestation. You can get both by getting Prosuite2000i or you can get just Radarscreen. The problem with Tradestation on its own is that you would need loads of charts open to be able to monitor a large number of stocks where-as this is done easily in Radarscreen

Paul

Grey1 said:
Paul

I agree totally. I have spoken to DELL as my computer is a DUAL processor ( what ever that mean ) and i might be able to upgrade to 16G . The amount of calculation is huge and I am 100 % sure if I knew more about PC's I could design a system to predict the market direction with great accuracy . ( calculations on 500 stocks would be sufficient ) .

I am currently sitting here with one hole in my data as I increased my stocks's list to 80 from 60 last night and I am already in deep S**t as the Pc cannot cope . :(

Grey1

Guys, you are entering a minefield here. Everyone seems to think that you just chuck some more RAM in to the PC and all works fine. The problem is that different systems will only support a certain amount of ram, and the rest is wasted.

This from Microsoft website: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/overview.mspx

Currently, 32-bit editions of Windows are capable of supporting up to 4 gigabytes (GB) of system memory, with up to 2 GB of dedicated memory per process. Windows Professional XP Edition x64 currently supports up to 128 GB of RAM, with the potential to support up to 16 terabytes of virtual memory as hardware capabilities and memory sizes improve.

The next problem is that TS2000 is a 32 bit application that was written ten years ago, so a 64 bit upgrade may not give a significant advantage, and you cant just put the x64 upgrade on, as the architecture may not support it!

Not an easy problem to solve?

ianh said:
Guys, you are entering a minefield here. Everyone seems to think that you just chuck some more RAM in to the PC and all works fine. The problem is that different systems will only support a certain amount of ram, and the rest is wasted.

This from Microsoft website: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/overview.mspx

Currently, 32-bit editions of Windows are capable of supporting up to 4 gigabytes (GB) of system memory, with up to 2 GB of dedicated memory per process. Windows Professional XP Edition x64 currently supports up to 128 GB of RAM, with the potential to support up to 16 terabytes of virtual memory as hardware capabilities and memory sizes improve.

The next problem is that TS2000 is a 32 bit application that was written ten years ago, so a 64 bit upgrade may not give a significant advantage, and you cant just put the x64 upgrade on, as the architecture may not support it!

Not an easy problem to solve?

I had a feeling my silly solution of adding more RAM would not do :LOL: The problems is even DELL technical people did not know :(

Grey1

Grey1 said:
The problem is even DELL technical people did not know :(

Grey1

This is an unfortunate fact of the world we live in Iraj!

They all just ship boxes these days, and most haven't got as clue what is in them.

Grey1 said:
I had a feeling my silly solution of adding more RAM would not do :LOL: The problems is even DELL technical people did not know :(

Grey1
Much as I hate to suggest it, I wonder if the answer may be to subscribe to the latest version of Tradestation and Radar Screen. I understand it uses much less resources but I may be wrong about that.

G1, for you with your trading volume the platform would be free but you would have to trade through the TS brokerage and your code would have to be amended - there is always a catch!

LII

The answer could be a bank of PC's each with TS and if you wanted to use esignal as a datafeed you would need several separate subscriptions, one for each PC.

Then you could allocate say 50 symbols per PC.

I know its messy but I think for some-one like Grey1, who has a winning system it could be worthwhile, also if you were worried by bandwidth on a broadband connection you could always subscribe to a T1 :eek: . :arrowu: :arrowr: :arrowd:

Grey1 said:

Grey1

hi Grey1

did you try shutting down some of your start up programs in the background?? when windows starts up...

I have 1 gig and a P4 2.66 and its seems as through my comp slows down I have IB running as well. Booktrader and 90 data lines in QT with multiple studies on each chart. my QT crashed a few days ago and i lost all my settings.. and not to mention when we experienced the higher volatility in the markets a few weeks ago my quotes slowed down and where off

Grey1 said:
STRATEGY 3

This is a high probable strategy and I invite traders of all level to use it in real time and post their result in here. ( all results good bad and ugly ) . You can also quote me if you felt the result was poor.

IF MACCI of DOW > 120 ( 1 min time frame ) and MACCI OF DOW > 120 ( 3 min time frame ) and MACCI of DOW ( 5 min time frame ) then short weakest stocks. ( reverse for long

(Weakest stocks are defined by those which have gap down most @ open in your list .
( MACCI is defined by moving average of CCI )

Of course i use more adaptive version of MACCI but a simple MA of CCI would be just as good .

Those of you have TS can code this easily and you got yourself a solid strategy to use for years to come .

Grey1

Grey1

What MA should I be using on the CCI?

For instance 5 bar MA, 10 bar MA, 20 bar MA etc.
I've got a copy of AmiBroker which allows you to plot a MA
on almost any data set. (Open, High, Low, Close, RSI, CCI ............ etc)
but I need to tell it how many bars it should be calculating its moving average on.

Thanks for starting this thread.
I just joined this site last week but I find its mainly your threads I'm taking a keen
interest in.

Paul.

Paulf wrote:

What MA should I be using on the CCI?

For instance 5 bar MA, 10 bar MA, 20 bar MA etc.
I've got a copy of AmiBroker which allows you to plot a MA
on almost any data set. (Open, High, Low, Close, RSI, CCI ............ etc)
but I need to tell it how many bars it should be calculating its moving average on.

Hi PAul,

That’s right, you must enter a period input for CCI oscillator and it’s meaningless to discuss in the context of an alerting system otherwise. You’ll use the moving average to smooth the chart of CCI (or whatever) of the results for particular time frame that you’re interested in, if that’s what you want to do?

Anyway, I’ve attached three charts of INDU to illustrate these points and I’ve also used the same time frames as in the example, i.e., 5min, 3 min and 1 min charts. I quite arbitrarily chose to draw the charts using a 21 period CCI and I’ve used a simple moving average of the 10 period CCI as the signal line, again following the example, you’ll see that I’ve drawn an edge band at the trigger level of 120. Assuming the alert(s) gets triggered when the MACCI “crosses” or is at any rate greater than 120, i.e. CCI > 120 in all three times frames simultaneously. (Obviously, this is going on within the application program – in this case in RadarStation – and is absolutely of no concern to us – “we” only need to know that it has happened and that the trigger works. At which point we’re going to short the weakest stocks.

You’ll note that CCI>120 doesn’t happen simultaneously in the examples I’ve used to illustrate the mechanics of this strategy and so I guess it’s fairly crucial that we’re given some indication of what these might be; for completeness if for no other reason?.

Moving on, I’m not sure how procedural RadarStation is, but my guess is that the order of the testing of the conditions should be reversed since this should involve far less use of overall computer resources in running the application, IMO.

HTH

Cheers

Mayfly

Attachments

• DOW JONES INDUSTR_5Min.png
    DOW JONES INDUSTR_5Min.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 471
  • DOW JONES INDUSTR_3MIN.png
    DOW JONES INDUSTR_3MIN.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 368
  • DOW JONES INDUSTR_1MIN.png
    DOW JONES INDUSTR_1MIN.png
    22.7 KB · Views: 424
Grey1 said:

Grey1
Maybe a way forward would be to use another pc with 2 monitors plus a minimum of 2GB Ram,
I had experienced similar problems and I found that this worked,
for those who are interested I have a AMD 64, 3800 MHZ,CPU, 2 monitors & 2GB Ram, running on XP Pro. (32bit), Finally I would recommend anyone who's concerned about the performance of there pc's to try this: control -alt- delete- (task manager window ) select performance tab, see your CPU's workload, especially when your trading full on........pedal to the metal !!!