Graduate career advice required!

mpat89

Hi,

I am currently a final year undergraduate Maths student, I am on track for a 2.1. I'm 20 years old and I really feel my passion is trading, I spend countless hours in front of the screen trying to find edges that I can apply to the markets. I have tried out stocks and currencies. My long term UK equity trades have worked out well, however, for me, I do not like this time-frame and like to be doing something everyday. I have tried various tactics with currencies but remain strictly break even. More recently I have begun trading a trend following system on the DJIA 30 stocks, I have spent a lot of time developing this myself and it can be applied to most high volume stocks and currencies. So far so good however I've only been trading it since 10th Feb and personally feel I need at least a year to know if the system is a winner.

I feel I that I have some deep down desire to develop a "mechanical" system, i.e. a set of rules by which to trade. If I had the past performance to know I was capable of doing this for a living, this is a path I would certainly follow. At the same time I also have the desire to sit in front of the screen all day, waiting for setups and going for it. I always follow strict money management rules. I have tried this approach in the past and kept record of all my trades so I could look back to search for mistakes and learn from them.

Anyway these are just my thoughts on trading. Onto the career part... I am graduating but have little relevant work experience. I worked at Fitch Ratings in operations for 6 weeks before uni and have spent both uni summer holidays working at an accountancy firm doing personal tax returns. From ages 13-18 I ran an online business selling online gaming servers, radio stations, web hosting, broadband, datacentre services, etc, with an average turnover of £25,000/year. I also had two part time staff, so overall I feel I was able to develop communication, team, leadership skills as well as those required for the day to day runnings of a business. There was also a lot of time management involved as this was all alongside school. Should also note I have enjoyed programming in the past, I have done PHP, Visual Basic, Java and C.

I would love to pursue trading as a full time career but this is not realistic unless I am employed as a trader, I don't think my family would be OK with me going down the self-employed route, especially since I have no proven, consistent way of taking money from the markets (although I really feel I am onto something but too early to say).

I did not send any graduate job applications but am applying for MSc Finance. I am applying because academically, finance is my passion. However, I'd rather be trading than studying. I honestly feel a bit lost. I have no internships or graduate jobs. I have this undying passion for trading but have no confidence in having a way in. I feel like I have a lot of experience for my age in trading, however, this is 'retail' trading and from what I understand, very different to how it's done in the banks.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice for me. Should I bother doing this MSc, will it even help me in my career? Do my own experiences studying the markets count for anything to employers? Can anyone provide any guidance... I feel I have the skills required but have zero experience. How should I approach this?
Help would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
My 2p: don't bother with the MSc unless you will reallly enjoy it. Trading requires capital. If you don't have it, you'll have to work to earn it, so you get a job you'll enjoy reasonably and do you research on trading on the side while saving. You may lose your capital trading, so it's good to have work so you can just start again.

Thanks for your 2p. I am considering taking a year out to trade after I graduate to give trading a proper go. I will do this if the system I am currently trading remains profitable up to graduation. I have (what I believe to be) sufficient 'risk' capital to do this on a large enough scale to make a living from, currently I only play with a a small proportion of this so as to not lose it all in one go. If I remained profitable I'd put a much larger proportion of this into my trading account and give it a real go from there (though possibly scale it into my account rather than all at once).

I am looking to do the MSc because it's in finance and academically this is a subject I enjoy a lot.
If I fail after the year out I will possibly look to do the MSc or just go for ACA/ACCA.

Does this look sensible or should I still look to get full time employment. I feel that by giving myself a year to try it I will be giving it a proper go. I will only be trading a strategy that I have already developed so in some sense am already prepared with what I'll be doing. At least if I fail I can see I gave it a proper go and then move on to other things. If I'm still interested I can, like you say, do it on the side and see where it goes.