Good UK broker?

I don't think that our investment in UK-based brokers will be under any threat even if they do leave the EU. That said, I am wondering how conditions will change. After the referendum the FCA came out and said that for the time being there won't be any changes and everything will continue as it was (for now), but sooner or later the UK and the EU will be renegotiating trading agreements and the like. What will happen when a EU-based trader wants to withdraw money from a UK-based broker? Will the banking fees increase? What about investing in them? That's what bothering me more.

I don't think there will be big changes, but that's better to not holding the whole capital in UK brokers and banks..

For my needs, I haven't been actively trading for a long time, now hope to be back and be trading ordinary US shares plus ordinary ASX shares, and maybe some other ordinary shares.
I have a severe dislike of CFDs due to lies and cheating brokers, strict margin requirements and restrictions on tradeable shares.

Has anybody tried SaxoBank that has a nice-looking platform SaxoTraderGo? The fees appear a lot better than InteractiveBrokers and the platform looks much cleaner, easier to use. But are they good with execution? Do their Level 2 depth feeds work properly for Nasdaq, NYSE and ASX ?

It's simple. Lmax. Legitimate ECN so just route your trades and take a small commission for doing so. Tight spreads. Excellent liquidity from multiple banks etc for forex. With the exception of capmar, everyone else is a bucketshop.

LMAX is a good broker for sure, shame they are CFD's only. They should offer spreadbet accounts but I'm sure they've already considered it and decided against.

Ayondo is my current spread bet broker. They have a lot going for them like negative balance protection, client money protection up to 500k, rollover charges only on the amount you borrow, adjustable margin (really useful), 100% dividend payout on uk stocks, no inactivity fees, no charges on deposits/withdrawals on debit cards, sensible spreads and a good selection of markets (better than LMAX which is mainly FX). You also get free guaranteed stops on major markets too and they are quite clear about the notional size of your trade which is a nice thing to have.

Last edited:
LMAX is a good broker for sure, shame they are CFD's only. They should offer spreadbet accounts but I'm sure they've already considered it and decided against.

Ayondo is my current spread bet broker. They have a lot going for them like negative balance protection, client money protection up to 500k, rollover charges only on the amount you borrow, adjustable margin (really useful), 100% dividend payout on uk stocks, no inactivity fees, no charges on deposits/withdrawals on debit cards, sensible spreads and a good selection of markets (better than LMAX which is mainly FX). You also get free guaranteed stops on major markets too and they are quite clear about the notional size of your trade which is a nice thing to have.

Sorry but that is incorrect. Please delete your post as it is this sort of wrong info that causes all kinds of problems.

On fx, LMAX is an ECN and has liquidity by several/more large market makers e.g. banks. They are NOT cfds and provide direct market access.

For all other non fx products (indices/oil etc) then yes, they are cfds. To claim that all LMAX products are cfds is a massive distortion and means you are directing people away from their core fx offering which is above and beyond any of the rubbish mentioned on here.

I don't know about LMAX but for UK regulated brokers I like ETX ad IG Index. They have mixed reviews from some people but I have used them for years and have never had a problem

I guess UK traders have freedom to choose any of the brokers available online however before going to choose any broker we better look at their reviews and reputation too.

For all other non fx products (indices/oil etc) then yes, they are cfds. To claim that all LMAX products are cfds is a massive distortion and means you are directing people away from their core fx offering which is above and beyond any of the rubbish mentioned on here.

Calm it bootsyjam, my main point is that they don't offer spreadbet and as you even mentioned some instruments are indeed CFDs.

Calm it bootsyjam, my main point is that they don't offer spreadbet and as you even mentioned some instruments are indeed CFDs.

You stated this: "LMAX is a good broker for sure, shame they are CFD's only. They should offer spreadbet accounts but I'm sure they've already considered it and decided against."

They are not CFDs only. That is a completely inaccurate statement.
Stating something that is blatantly inaccurate is totally wrong and you should delete your post. Posts like that are the reason why there are so many false starts on these forums as people are posting without knowing what they are talking about.

They are a serious company who are an ECN, and as a result their core offering is fx,. They also provide offer excellent liquidity and depth of market to avoid slippage thanks to their pooling of markets via some large liquidity providers.

And yes, the indexes are cfds. And this is not their core offering.

As they are an ECN they will have no interest in being a spreadbet company as this is completely the opposite of what they provide and what they sell themselves as. The fact that you don't understand the difference speaks volumes. Although you go into a lot of detail on the company you use. Are you doing some marketing?

You stated this: "LMAX is a good broker for sure, shame they are CFD's only. They should offer spreadbet accounts but I'm sure they've already considered it and decided against."

They are not CFDs only. That is a completely inaccurate statement.
Stating something that is blatantly inaccurate is totally wrong and you should delete your post. Posts like that are the reason why there are so many false starts on these forums as people are posting without knowing what they are talking about.

They are a serious company who are an ECN, and as a result their core offering is fx,. They also provide offer excellent liquidity and depth of market to avoid slippage thanks to their pooling of markets via some large liquidity providers.

And yes, the indexes are cfds. And this is not their core offering.

As they are an ECN they will have no interest in being a spreadbet company as this is completely the opposite of what they provide and what they sell themselves as. The fact that you don't understand the difference speaks volumes. Although you go into a lot of detail on the company you use. Are you doing some marketing?

I can't remove the all important word 'only' you're fixating on or delete the entire post you keep insisting as it's too old so you're just going to have to deal with it. Yes, it's not entirely correct, it's not just CFD's as you keep 'kindly' pointing out but you're missing the point of my post. I'm not bashing LMAX here I think they are very good but there are more tax efficient ways to trading for the retail trader.

Hi guys,

New to this forum but I wanted weigh in on this discussion. I have been using a brokerage called SVK Markets for a few months now and i haven't had any issues thus far. They come from an institutional background and you will notice that they have a strong emphasis on service. Lets be honest if all your looking for is tight spreads (0.5 on major fx pairs), access to 12500 securities, a good platform and great service then I would give SVK Markets a try.

BEWARE of ETX. They aren't accepting any email which is a bad sign !
They were given money from the Alpari (UK) collapse and ..........nothing !!