Occasional UK trader seeking cheap Nasdaq broker

bugmenot2

Hi,

I'm not a massive day trader, but my days off my main job are Monday+Tuesday, I've previously dabbled in the Nasdaq using the now defunct American Express share trading and TDWaterhouse, and would like to get back into it.

Interactive Brokers look sweet for active traders, but I'm guessing I'll only be doing 4 trades in my first month, then only doing additional trades when Stop Losses kick in, so IB's $10/month fees will mount up.

American Express share trading had a flat fee of 5GBP, didn't rip me off with USD/GBP conversions, and despite a clunky interface and slowish executions it worked fine. After American Express closed all customers were automatically passed to TDWaterhouse, but TDWaterhouse UK only allowed stoplosses on UK stocks, not US stocks. No idea why, nor did TDWaterhouse support.

All I want is a basic broker which won't rip me off on GBP/USD conversions, and allows stop losses on the NASDAQ/NYSE. No monthly fees are more important to me than buy/sell fees. Charts/level 2 and other professional tools won't really be much use to me.

If there is some fancy way of making stop-losses work when the market is closed that'd be very useful.

I'm planning on investing about 15,000 GBP, I'm a major computer geek, so it'll only be in tech companies.

www.scottrade.com and www.tdameritrade.com look good, but they don't appear to have a way to fund the account with GBP, so my bank will roast me with FX fees.

Any help appreciated.