Gold - a commodity or currency?

• It's a commodity

Votes: 21 39.6%
  • It's a currency

Votes: 25 47.2%
  • other

Votes: 7 13.2%

• Total voters
Martin, you're assuming young NT possesses a basic and prerequisite skill which while taken for granted among the thinking classes is in dire short supply generally.
I am sure NT is fine and capable. However, I believe he (she?) is enamored of a particular lofty ideal that's supposed to be the solution to all life's ills. Maybe it's just that I'm older, but whenever someone starts talking about how wonderful life could be if only we had this and that, I start getting all hot 'n bovvered.

I am sure NT is fine and capable. However, I believe he (she?) is enamored of a particular lofty ideal that's supposed to be the solution to all life's ills. Maybe it's just that I'm older, but whenever someone starts talking about how wonderful life could be if only we had this and that, I start getting all hot 'n bovvered.

Perhaps you are holding too tight to your ideals...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCX3ZNDZAwY&feature=fvst

I don’t mean NT (or anyone for that matter) any malice it’s just that fervent support of naïve ideals takes energy and motivation away from independent thought and finding an intelligent solution to what the real problems are or at the very least, understanding what really is rather than what could be, should, might be.

I’m surprised I care.

Funny how NEWT always UNSUBSCRIBES when he's lost the argument or under severe pressure.:LOL:

CV didn't know you were a fan too...

As someone into time series modelling you should get your geometry set and ruler out and start working on ETA...

Moreover - what's happ to your reputation on the ladder board... Was last week only a one off blunder? :cheesy:

CV didn't know you were a fan too...

As someone into time series modelling you should get your geometry set and ruler out and start working on ETA...

Moreover - what's happ to your reputation on the ladder board... Was last week only a one off blunder? :cheesy:

:LOL:

I could win it every week if I wanted to.:devilish:

So let me reiterate. For a single country to unilaterally adopt the gold standard and stick with it is equivalent to bringing a knife to a gunfight. And yes, I agree, a knife is a wonderful thing, it's sharp and you can do all sorts of useful things with it and it doesn't jam, etc. Moreover, everyone's been using knives for years and years and they've always worked great. However, the other guys got guns now. Do you seriously wanna go play with them armed with your little Leatherman?

Finally, an analogy I can relate to. :cheesy:

Finally, an analogy I can relate to. :cheesy:

When a nation converts to backing currency with gold - it will not be a knife but a umpteen kilotron equivalent meteorite... :idea:

Totally wrong and off-at-a-tangent again with no relevance... (n)

When a nation converts to backing currency with gold - it will not be a knife but a umpteen kilotron equivalent meteorite... :idea:

Totally wrong and off-at-a-tangent again with no relevance... (n)
Well, pls do feel free to counter my analogy with an actual argument... Don't let anything hold you back.

Well, pls do feel free to counter my analogy with an actual argument... Don't let anything hold you back.

Cheers old boy... will doo... (y)

umpteen kilotron 'nuclear' equivalent meteorite

How does $1528 sound?

My target at the start of the year was $1650 and I predict we will touch that late summer come Autumn time... Watch this space... (y)

Cheers old boy... will doo... (y)

umpteen kilotron 'nuclear' equivalent meteorite

How does $1528 sound?

My target at the start of the year was $1650 and I predict we will touch that late summer come Autumn time... Watch this space... (y)
Huh? What does our discussion have anything to do with the price of gold in dollars? For the record, I have been long physical gold since Feb 09.

Huh? What does our discussion have anything to do with the price of gold in dollars? For the record, I have been long physical gold since Feb 09.

That's great. Good call matey! (y)

What's your destination?

I suppose Jim Rogers doesn't have a clue, he keeps referring to history. Makes you wonder why a Mult-Billionaire investor would be dumping the dollar in favour of the Renminbi if currency debasement is such a great strategy.