Getting back to basics- trading false breakouts and candlestick reversals

interesting, sorry i'm drifting towards my old system blended with this new system. I will try to find pullbacks and false BOs more.

i'm new to trading pullbacks actually, if you want you could post some old plays of yours?

I am completelly sure you can make over 30 pips, when you have developed a system that works for you it means you have experience, you know the dinamics of markerts and somehow you have learned to manage your risks, so i would bet you make your 30 pips or more, ok, let me ask you these, would you consider a tight stop lets say 10 pips?

ok, i will, in a few hours the forex market opens yeh?, well i bet i can make 30 pips by the end of today using candlestick reversals only.

If you don't agree with this system, ok, then go out to all of the other systems which are out of date by the time they are tested, go ahead, chase some magical formula, using 5 indicators at once which will beat the market all the time, only requiring 5-10 minutes of your time each day, oh, the rest of the time, yeh you guessed it- you'll be buying yachts and mansions with the profits from this system you chase.

Attachments

• 4444.JPG
    4444.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 182
perfect entry/exit!
"would you consider a tight stop lets say 10 pips?"-um, i'm no expert on stops, but just place the stop at the point at which the setup would be considered a fail, e.g. longa breakout-stop under support

it's just that i'd prefer to play setups which would have tight stops, but playing on the H4 chart i wouldn't conisder the stops i place tight, at all!

thanks, so i should look at where i would place my stops , and see the price's reaction to those stops and trade that reaction?

will do, market opens in 5 minutes i think, i will try to trade that possible short on the EUR/JPY- only , only if there is a confirmation bar, there are just so many reversal candles that pop up and aren't confirmed, yes you could take the risk but i'd prefer to have confirmation. Having divergence in itself is confirmation, so this could be a nice trade!, unfortunately it'll take 4 hours till one bar is made, i could be sleeping at that point!

i am very excited though, this time i have a strict system for entry and exit- a first for me! This should reeeallly help my unplanned as-it-happens indecisiveness. Someone told me when i joined this forum that when backtesting i should look for a system where i actually would have traded the old set ups, so i tweaked entry and exit rules, and now i feel confident that i would have definately traded these old setups, not just the old 'woulda entered here,exited there'

okay, bad start, tried to trade a pullback of a breakout on the M1 EUR/JPY, will post later, down 40 bucks. Trying to trade the doji reversal here on the M1

ok this is why i wait for a clear reversal candle! didn't enter a position on this , thankfully

As you can see i was ready to pounce, was waiting for a full candle confirmation, all i got in the end was another doji, and a bar which couldn't close above the doji, so left it alone.

SOMEONE VIRTUAALLY SLAP ME FOR TRADING CANDLE REVERSALS ON THE M1 AND NOT THE H4. But on any timeframe , wait for a real, clear confirmation bar, another reversal isn't a confirmation bar, what we need is a clear green bar which closes above the highs of the previous candle-that for me is the key for exit

Attachments

• doji1.JPG
    doji1.JPG
    252.3 KB · Views: 170
  • doji2.JPG
    doji2.JPG
    249.4 KB · Views: 165
entered a sell on the EUR/JPY , i realised that were was a confirmation bar, will keep notice of the MA, seems to be sticking to it well, any upward bounce of the MA could be a good to time exit.

Attachments

• doji3.JPG
    doji3.JPG
    264.9 KB · Views: 169
entered a sell on the EUR/JPY , i realised that were was a confirmation bar, will keep notice of the MA, seems to be sticking to it well, any upward bounce of the MA could be a good to time exit.

Are you trying to guess the tops and bottoms with your strategy? If you are, this is high risk. Have you considered waiting for confirmation of a trend reversal (as was previously suggested e.g. break of support/resistance)? Just my opinion.

Last edited:
was just thinking the same thing! perhaps if a pair is in a strong trend - like the EUR/JPY i should trade the 15 minute timescale reversals, they wouldn't be too counter trend. And the divergence system i made had its entry based on the break of support/resistance. Any ideas how i can trade reversals- but not counter trend reversals?

ps- normally i wouldn't trade such a counter - trend trade, but divergence has just showed up on EUR/JPY recently, which IMO is a sign of reversal

ok as of now il be holding onto this, but watching the reaction to the MA on the 5 minute chart, so far +$9.50 on this trade

was just thinking the same thing! perhaps if a pair is in a strong trend - like the EUR/JPY i should trade the 15 minute timescale reversals, they wouldn't be too counter trend. And the divergence system i made had its entry based on the break of support/resistance. Any ideas how i can trade reversals- but not counter trend reversals?

ps- normally i wouldn't trade such a counter - trend trade, but divergence has just showed up on EUR/JPY recently, which IMO is a sign of reversal

It looks like your preferred style is that of a swing trader so you have two options - enter (in either direction) on bounces off support/resistance or over breaks of resistance/support - but you need more confirmation than just a reversal candlestick imho.

Last edited:
paper trading on MT4 , will take that into account, next trade i will look for not so trendy pairs, will be less risky

yeh, i actually intended to make this thread about trading retracements, it's just i have no idea how to intraday, maybe i'm getting these mixed up, i should be trading cadnlestick reversals within a small trend maybe on a 30 minute chart , and should be trading the retracements on H1 or H4 timescale