General Sports Chit Chat

What's all this rubbish I keep hearing about Hamilton winning at the weekend?

According to my newspaper they got beat 2-0 by Motherwell.

YouTube - Monte Barrett ring entrance vs David Haye

David Haye looke the part against monte barrett on saturday.

Only wieghed 215lb but was quick, athletic and explosive against an 11lb heavier and also in good shape barrrett (needs to work on his ring entrances though!)

Stood next to david haye in person in may at the ricky hatton Lazcano fight. A small heavyweight with heavy hands, good reflexes and silky smooth movement (y)

YouTube - Monte Barrett ring entrance vs David Haye

David Haye looke the part against monte barrett on saturday.

Only wieghed 215lb but was quick, athletic and explosive against an 11lb heavier and also in good shape barrrett (needs to work on his ring entrances though!)

Stood next to david haye in person in may at the ricky hatton Lazcano fight. A small heavyweight with heavy hands, good reflexes and silky smooth movement (y)

Quick

Powerful

Gobby

Chinny

=100% pure entertainment (y)(y)(y)(y)

He also speaks really well in interviews. Sounds like a bright guy. I hope he does clean up the division.

His chin could cause problems, but it means pure entertainment for us :)

Great performance!

On another note:

Please retire Joe Calzaghe - I don't want to see you turn into an Evander Holyfield/Roy Jones/something even worse since the above are embarassing if not quite dead men walking.

Retire when ahead, don't hang around to get thumped away by a bum and then wheeled off to a mental health institute like 'The Greatest'.

Calzaghe will retire as he can make as much money from promoting and being one of the few undefeated champions left. This is a fairly unique thing & he wont risk it, as - book, DVD, public speaking deals etc. will be worth less as a result. He certainly dont need to fight for ther cash. If he does fight on, theres only one or 2 people worthy - 1. Chad Dawson, 2 times world champion & undefeated. Beating him in Cardiff would silence anuy remaining doubters. I think Calzaghe is awesome and have done since he beat that guy on points 3 years back, 1 handed, after breaking one hand in the opening rounds.

Calzaghe will retire as he can make as much money from promoting and being one of the few undefeated champions left. This is a fairly unique thing & he wont risk it, as - book, DVD, public speaking deals etc. will be worth less as a result. He certainly dont need to fight for ther cash. If he does fight on, theres only one or 2 people worthy - 1. Chad Dawson, 2 times world champion & undefeated. Beating him in Cardiff would silence anuy remaining doubters. I think Calzaghe is awesome and have done since he beat that guy on points 3 years back, 1 handed, after breaking one hand in the opening rounds.

I agree. I can't see anyone except Dawson out there for him.

The only other good 'name' Light Heavies are Johnson and Tarver, both of whom Dawson has beaten this year.
If Clinton Woods was still IBF champ, then an all-British tear-up would have been a brilliant send-off/thank you to the fans..... But he doesn't.
Kelly Pavlik was a name until B-Hop dismantled him - makes JC look all the better.
Roy Jones showed nothing to warrant a rematch.
Kessler has done nothing in the interim to warrant a rematch.
Jermain Taylor is now damaged goods.

The only other possible name out there from all of that IMO would be a rematch with B-Hop to make sure his split decision wasn't the wrong one - there was some doubt in that fight, despite the fact JC outworked and outpunched B-Hop. But personally I wouldn't give him a rematch because of his unforgiveable pre-fight trash-talking farce....w*nker.

Calzaghe will retire now, hands, mental faculties, and perfect record 46-0 all in tact. 2nd only to Rocky Marcian 49-0 (not bad). JC will now be a Hall Of Famer. Lose a "last" fight against Dawson and he will not. JC seems pretty business man like, no longer loves bixing and knows its all about the $£€.

What are the qualifications for entry into the Hall of Fame ?

46-0 gives a YES

But you say a 46-1 would not.

??

46-0 gives a YES

??

I dont think it would.

Naseem Hamed 36-1 didn't. He was more spectacular in some ways than calzaghe. Maybe his out of the ring antics have stopped him being made a HOFer....granted 46-1 is better than 36-1 though and may well still make it into the HOF. Yeah actually it definately will, as JC is the longest running world title holder on the records...JC is definately a HOFer (y)

46-0 gives a YES

??

Difficult if not American I'd say. But even the Yanks rate him now - so I reckon he'd make it in on 46-1.

Is that because
a: he retired early
b: he didn't bother to try to redeem himself after his first defeat
c: he is a c*nt
d: all of the above

Mainly - B.

He had a rematch clause in his contract but didn't take it up for a Barrera rematch.

The boxing critic argues that in order to stake a true claim to greatness, a fighter must at least attempt to avenge their defeats over the opponent/s who have beaten him.
Lennox Lewis did this, in rematches over Oliver McCall and Hasim Rahman. Along with Gene Tunney and Rocky Marciano Lewis is one of three world heavyweight champions to have retired with no unavenged defeats.

Had Hamed either retired undefeated, or avenged his one defeat, regardless of the other antics in his life, or his young age at retirement, i think Hamed would have made it into the BHOF. 37 pro fights is quite a few by any standards...

However, quite possibly not. Its quite an exclusive list, with no Lewis or Tyson (yet. This type of recognition tends to take a few years post retirment in sport. Like knighthoods....)

International Boxing Hall of Fame - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mainly - B.

He had a rematch clause in his contract but didn't take it up for a Barrera rematch.

The boxing critic argues that in order to stake a true claim to greatness, a fighter must at least attempt to avenge their defeats over the opponent/s who have beaten him.
Lennox Lewis did this, in rematches over Oliver McCall and Hasim Rahman. Along with Gene Tunney and Rocky Marciano Lewis is one of three world heavyweight champions to have retired with no unavenged defeats.

Had Hamed either retired undefeated, or avenged his one defeat, regardless of the other antics in his life, or his young age at retirement, i think Hamed would have made it into the BHOF. 37 pro fights is quite a few by any standards...

However, quite possibly not. Its quite an exclusive list, with no Lewis or Tyson (yet. This type of recognition tends to take a few years post retirment in sport. Like knighthoods....)

International Boxing Hall of Fame - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I agree. b would be the official best reason. But c is still valid.

I saw someone list the top 20 boxers in the past 20 years once. Hamed didn't make it but got an honourable mention in the 10 or so at the end. The comment was that MAB was the only guy of that era that MIGHT have beaten him.

PNH should have beaten MAB. If the fight had lasted a bit longer i think he would have. For some reason PNH had it in his head that MAB was unbeatableish, but in the latter rounds PNH was coming back when he realised he was far better than MAB!!

Here's a challenge! -
find video footage of PNH's final fight against Manuel Calvo and post the link here!
I bet you can't ;) i know i couldn't....think his brothers sold it on dvd or something....

Last edited:
Hey J, you saw the Hitman fighting Lazcano, right?

Some reports suggested he was a bit shot in that fight and took more hits than he should have.

You reckon he's got enough to see off the Magic Man this Sat?

Not sure. Malignaggi has very quick hands. Manchester was neither of their best fights - Hatton getting over a chest infection (and lazcano was a quality opponent, sure they picked him cos they thought he would be beaten but they picked as strong an opponent as possible for a comeback fight), Mallignaggi with a braids problem & he also broke his hand.

Malignaggi seemed a really nice guy though. He came out afterwards & spent quite a few minutes talking to some young fans, showing them his belt. He couldnt sign anything though due to the bandaged hand! Not bad to say he'd just done 12 rounds, had broken his hands, & had to have a fair chunk of his hair chopped off in the ring!

I think Hatton will sneak it, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was an upset.

Both guys are really tiny. When you see them up close like that you realise how small 5ft 6, 10st & ripped, really is!

Hatton will either win by knockout, or Malignaggi will win on points. Malignaggi has 25 wins, & only 5 by way of KO. So he's quick, counter punches well, but has little power.

Last edited: