FX or Compliance

mace_d_ace2

Hi Guys,

I am currently working in Back Office Operations for a distinctly average Financial Company, i have been looking for a new job for over a year and low and behold, 2 come along at once...
I have a dilema, one of them would be a start with the area of Compliance ( steady career and good earning potential ). On the other side i can get a start within Client Services of the FX side of things. Both of these positions are within investment banks.
As you would imagine, my head is shot to bits working out all the best scenarios to set me up for my future life ( currently 25 ). I have always dreamed of being a Trader and the potential lifestyle it could bring if i was good but at the same time the fact i am already questioning myself would that mean i have it in me to make it...

Do i go for the risky FX route for the ultimate dollar... Or the good dollar with Compliance, HELP!!!!

Marc.

i wont get another crack at the other if i take one of these. this is a career defining moment.

dont just view the thread guys! give me some advice. sensible responses please.

Last edited:
Well, Compliance is boring and legalistic, as well as being no-where near front office. So the Client Services role is better in that respect but you should really consider whether you have what it takes to be a trader and be fully aware of the likelihood of that happening. Even if you get the Client Services role, your chance of moving into a trading role is still likely to be slim.

Not to put a dampner on things but could it be worth pursuing a less competitive career? Working on the private client side as a stockbroker or investment manager is probably far more likely to happen than breaking into trading. But, hey, if you genuinely believe you can do - go for it.

It really depends on the nature of the client services role.... being a trader isn't the only front-office job that is worth having, if you can work your way into front office sales, it can be very lucrative.

Stick with compliance. There's just not enough people at the moment and a few years down the line you'll be on quite a nice wedge. Compliance isn't subject to the hiring and firing due the legal need to have guys and with all the legislative crap coming down the line over the next few years your skills will command a hefty price tag.

Forget client services, it's just a nice name for 'customer service bitch' and the likelyhood of you moving into front office is zero. Also, your career will depend on the level of business/economic enviroment and so even if you do do well at it, you might get the boot at the next recession, which looks like it's on its way.

Personally, knowing what goes into audits, the money and security would have to be spot on if I was ever to go into compliance.

Congrats on the offers and good luck.

cheers guys i appreciate all you have to say. im getting the feeling it wil lbe hugely tough to get into fx trading but that wont stop me giving it a go as unfortunately, for now, the compliance role is on hold... yes i know client services is a " bitch " job but hey, you got to start somewhere and with my qualifications ( or lack of) it's a good foot into the door.