fx 53 trend following system

how are the fx53ers doing /

the text service is sort of stuck . some up and downs but no accumlation od profits (or losses). there are big mocves but getting on them is hard as unless stops are very wide the volatility take soyu out. strangely having been a nightmare ca2 on hourly gbp/yen actually got this down move pretty spot on.

Hi Bongo,

I don't know how the text service is doing, because I don't subscribe to it. However, I've switched away from the £/Y, because of it's erratic behaviour, in the past few weeks. I'm now trading £/$ and E/Y which seem to be less erratic and have tighter spreads. My SB company offers a spread of 2=3 pts on both pairs.

If you're getting chopped in and out on £/Y, it's costing you 8 pts spread every time. That adds up to quite a few pips, if trading 2-3 times a day, over a month. Just something you might want to consider.

hi lemming

i took one trade on it for a decent profit. its actually behaving better although not like last year.

Bongo, love to get back in on the ca2. paper traded it last month got two wins ( one biggy) and 2/3 losses. here's hoping.

interesting although my advice would be forget paper trading just cut your size down to a sensible level. it keeps you in and makes the decisions you take real. if you normally trade 3% of account or say £3 pounds per point do it in half that.

just a thought. paper trading is a bit like poker with 10p bits. you behave differently

good luck

I'm a newbie so please don't flame me, but looking at the graphs on the FX53 website - wouldn't a simple MACD give you the same signals as FX53 ? It just looks like it puts the arrows on the graphs at the same points as a crossover would occur on the MACD.

That's not to denigrate the product - somebody has obviously gone to the trouble of coming up with the integration with VT and made a very clear indicator - I'm just wondering whether there's anything more going on under the covers.

MACD would give good returns in strongly trending markets but poor results in a choppy or sideways market which seems consistent with FX53. Has anyone compared it with MACD ?

- Andrew

I'm a newbie so please don't flame me, but looking at the graphs on the FX53 website - wouldn't a simple MACD give you the same signals as FX53 ? It just looks like it puts the arrows on the graphs at the same points as a crossover would occur on the MACD.

That's not to denigrate the product - somebody has obviously gone to the trouble of coming up with the integration with VT and made a very clear indicator - I'm just wondering whether there's anything more going on under the covers.

MACD would give good returns in strongly trending markets but poor results in a choppy or sideways market which seems consistent with FX53. Has anyone compared it with MACD ?

- Andrew

Andrew,

There is a lot more to FX53 than a MACD based system. If you look at, virtually, any chart where arrows have printed at the extreme top or bottom, that cannot correlate with a MACD cross.

I'd love to be able to work why arrows print where they do. I could then use the system on MT4 and get rid of VT Trader, which I really dislike.

this threads been abit quiet lately...hopefully there are still some FX53 users who might be able to help me out. I bought into the system a few months back, but didn't get the time to go about installing and investigating it.

I tried to over the weekend, and I believe I need to use the VT trader which comes on the disk right, and not the latest version from the VT Trader website? (or can I use the latest from the VT Trader website along with FX53?)

Anyway, I tried to follow the installation instructions which says to use the one which comes with the FX53 software, but when I try to login, it keeps telling me that this version is no longer supported and that I need to upgrade. It doesn't provide me the option to SKIP the upgrade as per the manual.

Anyone any ideas...I'm assuming I can just use the latest VT Trader with the FX53 software...but thought I'd ask the user base first.

this threads been abit quiet lately...hopefully there are still some FX53 users who might be able to help me out. I bought into the system a few months back, but didn't get the time to go about installing and investigating it.

I tried to over the weekend, and I believe I need to use the VT trader which comes on the disk right, and not the latest version from the VT Trader website? (or can I use the latest from the VT Trader website along with FX53?)

Anyway, I tried to follow the installation instructions which says to use the one which comes with the FX53 software, but when I try to login, it keeps telling me that this version is no longer supported and that I need to upgrade. It doesn't provide me the option to SKIP the upgrade as per the manual.

Anyone any ideas...I'm assuming I can just use the latest VT Trader with the FX53 software...but thought I'd ask the user base first.

You wil need to install the latest version of VT Trader, from CMs website, and then add FX53. I assume you've, already registered a demo account with them.

You wil need to install the latest version of VT Trader, from CMs website, and then add FX53. I assume you've, already registered a demo account with them.

Yes - I figured that. Thanks for confirming.

How has FX53 been lately? Are you still actively trading with it?

Yes - I figured that. Thanks for confirming.

How has FX53 been lately? Are you still actively trading with it?

Yes, I still use it but, not as much I would do if the CMS data feed was better. It's supplied free of charge so, can't really complain too much.

As with all trading systems, your success or failure is down to risk management. For me, the best way to use FX53 is to follow 4 currency pairs. You'll find that most days, one of the majors is going through a good/bad time. Combinations of €. £, $, Y are best.

Yes, I still use it but, not as much I would do if the CMS data feed was better. It's supplied free of charge so, can't really complain too much.

As with all trading systems, your success or failure is down to risk management. For me, the best way to use FX53 is to follow 4 currency pairs. You'll find that most days, one of the majors is going through a good/bad time. Combinations of €. £, $, Y are best.

Thanks for the tips. It really looks like a good system as the CA2 strategy helps keep you out in ranging markets...something which most other systems won't do.

What time time frames are you trading off these days? I noticed from the fx53 website that Kevin has now moved from trading the H1 time frame to M5.

Any other tips for a newbie to the system?

And how come this board is so quiet these days?

Thanks for the tips. It really looks like a good system as the CA2 strategy helps keep you out in ranging markets...something which most other systems won't do.

What time time frames are you trading off these days? I noticed from the fx53 website that Kevin has now moved from trading the H1 time frame to M5.

Any other tips for a newbie to the system?

And how come this board is so quiet these days?

I believe Kevin has moved to a shorter tf. This is, probably, due to the fact that the high volatility, of last year, has evaporated. The forex markets are much more range bound these days. Trading off the shorter tfs, now, offers a better chance to benefit from smaller price moves.

I can't offer you any tips that Kevin doesn't already cover on the FX53 website. This thread has gone quiet because most people, who have the system, are using it to guide them in their trading decisions and there's not a lot to talk about. Kevin is very helpful so new users, that have questions about the system, go to him directly.

Last edited:
Anyone using the CA2 strategy on the M15 time frame?

Any good tips/techniques on how to get the best entry into a trade - eg limit order or market order?

unfortunately the text service has been suspended for the forseeable future. im sure it will return in due course. anyone having any luck with hourly away from pound / yen

unfortunately the text service has been suspended for the forseeable future. im sure it will return in due course. anyone having any luck with hourly away from pound / yen

I think you need to move to a lower time frame. Not enough long trends for the 1H time frame to work effectively.

Try the 15 minutes charts.