Futures question

traderboy1

Hi, (sorry if this is stupid but I'm trying to figure out how futures work). Is there a name to differentiate a futures contract that is a real derivative where the underlying asset is not owned by one of the contract holders from a futures contract that an actual supplier who owns the underlying asset lets say a coffee supplier would take out?

Last edited:
You mean as in financial speculators vs hedgers sort of differentiation? But they will have positions in the same futures contract?

Is there a name to differentiate a futures contract that is a real derivative where the underlying asset is not owned by one of the contract holders from a futures contract that an actual supplier who owns the underlying asset lets say a coffee supplier would take out?

In the futures market the contracts are all standardized. There's no difference between what you and I trade and what producers and hedgers trade. It's all the same thing. If you're trading OTC forwards then maybe you can do something like that based on counter-party.

Anyway, just to draw your attention to the fact that for certain commodities exists PHYSICALLY SETTLED CONTRACTS and CASH SETTLED CONTRACTS as well.

For example Light Sweet Crude Oil has two contracts: WS and CL.

If I'm wrong, please correct me. I'd be much obliged.