Market Maker vs DMA

Chobster

I notice that everyone seems a little confused on this. Therefore to settle the debate for you all, the difference between DMA and market makers is irrelevant. It only makes a difference when the underlying market is closed.

I hope some of you at least will find the following explanation helpful:

A CFD is simply a type of futures contract. To be more particular it is a futures contract without an expiry date.

A CFD effectively obliges the you to buy or sell the underlying asset at some unspecified date in the future (via cash settlement not actual delivery).

Consider a standard futures contract. The futures contract has a futures price because the contract has a predetermined expiry date.

A CFD differs because the expiry date is indefinite so no ‘futures price’ can exist. To solve this problem the ‘settlement price’ of the contract is simply set to the spot price of the underlying asset in the market. The interest advantage of the contract is then settled on a daily basis.

I.e. The ‘advantage’ of buying something in the future is not having to pay for it now: For a standard futures contract this advantage is calculable and built into the futures price. For a CFD however this is not possible hence the daily financing charge on the implied borrowing requirement.

The present value of buying in the future must be the same as the present value of buying in the present (otherwise an arbitrage opportunity will exist). Therefore the CFD price (whether DMA or otherwise) will be arbitrage enforced so long as the underlying market remains open.

Consider the following: The CFD price at inception is set at zero (it costs nothing to enter) therefore the CFD must have zero value to both parties at this point (otherwise arbitrage).

For a CFD, the only ‘settlement price’ that satisfies this equality is the current spot price of the underlying asset.

Therefore a CFD market maker offering a settlement spread that does not cover the underlying spot price will be taken to the cleaners by arbitragers.

For example a CFD broker offering a spread that is above the market spot will be continually sold by arbitrageurs until forced to lower the spread.

Alternatively if the spread was below the market spot then arbitrageurs would continually buy the CFD, Clearly the only price at which arbitrageurs would be disinterested is when the spread was centred over the spot price.

In the absence of confounding factors such opportunities rarely exist (in general CFD prices are efficient so long as the underlying market remains open).

I’ve also read a few posts regarding CFD’s on futures. A CFD on a future is somewhat nonsensical as a CFD on a future is quite simply a future.

You seem to have ignored the fact that CFDs aren't transferrable, so there is no arbitrage opportunity with the physical. You can't buy with CMC and sell in the market to net off your position. There is no guarantee that the prices will ever be identical.

Therefore to settle the debate for you all...
It reads like - OK children, enough is enough! Now listen to your Papa - Never, and I said never! eat yellow snow...

CFDs by the way not a type of a future contract. It is a derivative on its own.

Some idiot in Wikipedia tried to 'popularize' science to us children and compared CFDs to futures. Thats all. Try to read Wiki with a pinch of humor.

The present value of buying in the future must be the same as the present value of buying in the present ...

This is not true. One is the futures price, the other the cash price. There are a lot of resources on the net where you can read about the relation between the two.

A CFD is a totally different thing compared to a future, in all trading relevant aspects. The only thing remotely similar is the price. :)

Regards,
Asamat

And I dont think CFD's are fungible between counterparties, ergo there is a credit risk...

(also what about the cash flows? Convexity adjustments etc?)

Also I think there might be differences between reporting requirements... remember what happened with the bloke from JJB? Didn't the FSA say there were going to make CFD positions >= 3% free float reportable?

Not to mention Liqudity... I can't imagine any of the single stock futures are highly populated marketplaces...

I apologise for being patronising. My explanation was only meant for people who are confused by this market maker/DMA fallacy.

The semantics are irrelevant but whatever you might say or think a CFD is a type of futures contract or if you prefer a futures contract is a type of CFD, it doesn’t really matter what name you use.

The point I was trying to illustrate was that the same arbitrage enforces a CFD price in the same way as a futures price.

I apologise for being patronising. My explanation was only meant for people who are confused by this market maker/DMA fallacy.

The semantics are irrelevant but whatever you might say or think a CFD is a type of futures contract or if you prefer a futures contract is a type of CFD, it doesn’t really matter what name you use.

The point I was trying to illustrate was that the same arbitrage enforces a CFD price in the same way as a futures price.

The present value of the futures price is the spot price. If this condition is ever broken then an arbitrage opportunity arises.

What about Backwardation?

Why should this doesn't matter. Where the cost of carry or yield is greater than the risk free rate then the futures price should rightly be lower than spot. However their 'present values' reamin equal. Backwardation doesn't in itself give rise to an arbitrage opportunity.

Arbitrage is only possible when two products are funglible. CFDs are not tranferrable or fungible. Arbitrage is not possible.

If you can't close a position, the cost of carry will remove any arbitrage opportunity. If you're intending to arbitrage a spot CFD with a single stock future, you'll probably find the spread will be greater than the potential profit.

If you have any real life examples demonstrating arbitrage is possible, please post them.

Market Makers vs DMA

I notice that everyone seems a little confused on this. Therefore to settle the debate for you all, the difference between DMA and market makers is irrelevant. It only makes a difference when the underlying market is closed.

I hope some of you at least will find the following explanation helpful:

. . .<Insert undergrad-level Definitions here> . . .

1) I havn't noticed that "everyone seems a little confused" re the difference between a market-maker and DMA (ie Direct Market Access)

2) WTF has this difference to do with a CFD (Contract For Difference)?

(n)

(given the syntactic errors in your posts I'm gonna plump for business studies undergrad . . . am I right?)

Nearly! I did happen to study accounting & finance as an under grad but that was many years ago now. I do also an MPhil in Finance so I’m not a total retard. My results on optimising finite difference methods to price path dependent options can still be found rotting somewhere up at Lancaster Uni Library.
Back in the days I was studying, CFD’s in their current form weren’t even heard of! However the name was still used (even back then) as an old fashioned generic term for futures style contracts.
These days I’m a tax advisor however CFD’s happen to play a useful role in tax planning so I’m still involved with them to an extent.
Oddly enough, and I know there’s been a few people asking, everything you need to know about the taxation of CFD’s can be found online in the HMRC manual for the taxation of (wait for it) financial futures.

Ok I’ll start again. There are a lot of people asking which firms are the ‘best’ when it comes to trading CFD’s. These people are then wrongly told that the answer can depend on whether the firms are ‘market makers’ or hedge via DMA.

The theory I’ve read time and again goes something like this: ‘market makers’ manipulate prices; they make up spreads that bear no resemblance to the underlying spot price. The broker simply runs a book and you end up betting against the house and not the market. This is total nonsense.

I’ve also read posts on here from people convinced that they have been robbed by market makers and others who say that only total mugs would ever use them. This is also total nonsense. When you ask a market maker for a quote he/she has no way of know whether you are buying/selling, opening or closing.

You lot can huff and puff all you like, but CFD prices are strictly enforced by arbitrage in exactly the same way that futures prices are (they are the same species of contract). This is the simple reason why you won’t ever find a ‘market maker’ cooking up CFD prices and why the argument regarding ‘market makers’ is just ridiculous. The choice is simply between high or low transaction costs and credit risk.

I only felt that to illustrate this point using a parallel with futures pricing would be instructive because most people generally accept as obvious that futures prices are arbitraged enforced.

I obviously can not give you real examples of actual arbitrage opportunities as market makers aren’t daft enough to offer mispriced CFD’s in the first place.

If they did however arbitrage would be so easy. Transferability and fungibility just aren’t relevant.

Chobster,

Why are transferability and fungibility irrelevant? How do propose to arbitrage if you can't net off positions?

Have you ever traded CFDs, or are you just pontificating from an academic standpoint about how you believe the products work?

You say market makers don't know which way you're going to trade - absolutely wrong. With some brokers you click 'buy' and get requoted higher. They know which way you're going. From the market maker's perspective, you have 10 trades in a row buying, which way do think the 11th person is going? Having been a broker for over a decade, believe me you have enough of an idea how someone is going to trade to play the odds if you want. While they may not always skew a price against a particular client, they can easily skew prices against the run of business in general. If the market is 129-130 and one broker is showing 129.5 - 130.5, this is why. How would your efficient markets theory explain that?

Personally, I just think you spouted your mouth off and have been caught out because you don't really understand the tangible differences.

Yes. Because the university become a uni and every Shropshire now has one or two. Because CFD is form of future... Because all of these shambles the world suck its own dick right now...

Thats for sure.