FTSE / DOW Monthly / Daily Variance

bracke

Experienced member
I have noticed on a number of occasions a particular variance please see below for to-days example.

dow sept monthly future + 50
dow daily cash + 4

ftse sept monthly future + 27
ftse daily cash + 27

Why do the ftse figures stay close together but the dow's do not?

Regards

bracke

Hi Bracke,

Perhaps the data you're looking at is the "24 hour" Dow futures (Electronic+floor session combined) whereas the cash is the day-only value.

LIFEE's FTSE is a day-only traded futures contract.

Cheers,
Richard.

RichardDale

The figures I am quoting come from one of the Spread Betting companies.
I can't comment on your explanation other than to say that the variance does not occur all the time, which if your explanation is correct they would, wouldn't they?

I have just had a brainwave, I will post the question on the Capital Spreads thread!

Regards

bracke

The dow s&p are out due to the russell index reweighting last thing friday what you are looking at is the SB's closing price which droped 40 points in last couple of minutes friday

dc2000

Sorry to be a pain......but I will be.

Can you give a little more explanation to your explanation please.

Regards

bracke

Hi Bracke the indices fell 40ish points and so the spreadbet daily settlement price was down hence the price differential you are looking at

dc2000

Thank you for your explanation.
This does not appear to occur every time the dow falls at the end of the day, plus why did the monthly future not drop at the same time as the daily cash, it usually does.

Regards

bracke

dow up +40 since UK close but CMC quoting the FTSE to open down 3 tomorrow :).....maybe a clue in their to either FTSE open or the rest of teh dow session

For those who are interested the answer to my question is on the Capital Spreads thread Post 573

Regards

bracke