FTSE 100 - May

Maybe I spoke too soon about support going.. The breach appears to have been hastily rejected (so far).

Potential a bullish development at last today.

rsi and stochs turned first, as they always do. Macd and trendline next???

mully

Excellent! Its so easy when you know what you are reading. Much appreciate your explanation.

bonsai

Am I correct in thinking that you play a bit of rugby? If so, I have always considered that it is a game for sadists and masochists. I suspect you are the former but then if you trade the markets you certainly need a portion of the latter. An intertesting mix!

bracke:

the rugby reference, IMHO, has to do with his photo! look at his profile

mully

Yes I had seen the 'photo - genuine or wishful thinking?

Regards

bracke

Areas of price rejection can be very important pieces of information.

There were only buyers, no sellers down there.

Tells other sellers that the selling pressure is not as strong as the chart may be suggesting.

Watch carefully...

It is not unusal to see a useful 'bear squeeze' operated by the bulls having seen the price rejection.

Attachments

• chart.gif
    chart.gif
    15.1 KB · Views: 169
The pull up in the ftse appears to have been at the same time as the dow pulled up but the dow has dropped back, ftse to follow?

Regards

bracke

trendline gone, macd the last to turn. not sure how far its going to get? see what happens if the US gets to fill its opening gap

FYI

I think Piper, in his book The Way to Trade refers to this price rejection as a "GOAT" (page 169). He describes it as a low risk opportunity.

bracke
if you are to be in this game for the long term then trading with the trading trend is essential
dont fight it, go with the flow.

after the failed retest of 1 day at about 10.30, you should have switched to shorts as bonsai macd broke zero and was falling
(mully- another classic)

the 1 day has been falling ever since.

"a/d" - advance / decline (of FTSE100)

ok ?

at the moment what I see is a failed retest of the break line

so waiting to see if that produces a higher low

mully - re Goat
?
what was being rejected ?
but I did have fib at 4560

bonsai

I don't day trade - yet and don't know if I ever will . I trade the ftse and dow monthly futures and learned about 9 months ago not to fight the trend ( sometimes named contrarian trading ) it can be very expensive unless you take a very long term view.

I went short the june ftse at end of trading yesterday, debating whether to take profits or wait to see how the markets react to the non-farm payrolls tomorrow.

Thanks for your explanation

Regards

bracke

Bonai

I was referring to my support (22/04)/resistance (27/04) band.

I take the point that didn't conform to Piper's exact definition, however I don't want to make too much of it.

Price rejection, for what ever reason, is always interesting. Shows lack of support.

Though the way the SP500 is currently acting, the bears might get some more support quite soon!

Hey guys wanted to get your thoughts..I probably know the answer already but always good to hear it from other people. Basically the questions is

Should one use "Freestyle trading or Bag of tricks?"

Sorry best way I could describe it. What I mean is as I have learnt more and more Ive seem to have signals for everything. For example that bounce is expected netted me +13 when I got the signal which is good but it means that a short this morning would have been closed out way too early. It also often means that I hesitate on one signal becuase I have another in a different time frame?

So obviously this is a conflict of interests in my trading. So it comes down to do I trade like Bonsai (sorry to use you as an example) which means trading freely in swings or do I just trade my bag of tricks which are as equally good and rely on signals and not just random guesses.

I deally I would like to combine the two but just end up having too many conflicts in my head? Any thoughts?

If it made any sense that is?

I can only quote from Market Wizards

"It is critical to choose a method that is consistent with your own personality and comfort level."

The dow and s&p are currently slipping away are the more experieced members of this board suggesting that the ftse will not continue to follow? If not why not?

Regards

bracke

Hooya,

I don't want to get into a big discussion as I have to have time to trade.

However, my reply was not flippant. Think about what it meant.

There is no single right way to trade the markets. Choose an approach that is comfortable for you. Trading is not a one-size-fits-all proposition; each trader must tailor an individual approach.

Since I do not know you I cannot recommend which system is best for you.

From your posts you appear to like lots of indicators. That obviously suits you. So that may be the answer.

Mully I know what you meant . :) thats why I laughed as it was the answer I was expecting as my post suggested