Fructose and Obesity

trendie

Legendary member
Posits that obesity isnt just about "calories in / calories out", but explores that fructose, a carbohydrate, is no different to ethanol, also a carbohydrate, in the way the body metabolises it.
Ethanol is a toxin, and the speaker compares the toxic consequences of ethanol with obesity related medical consequences of high fructose.

Really good speaker. Quite interesting.

Sugar: The Bitter Truth - YouTube

Posits that obesity isnt just about "calories in / calories out", but explores that fructose, a carbohydrate, is no different to ethanol, also a carbohydrate, in the way the body metabolises it.
Ethanol is a toxin, and the speaker compares the toxic consequences of ethanol with obesity related medical consequences of high fructose.

Really good speaker. Quite interesting.

Sugar: The Bitter Truth - YouTube

Wow! I must be getting old but I admit to making heavy weather of this lecture!

I have known for a very long time that it is wise to stay away from all bottled drinks and processed foods, as much as possible. I do like a can of beer every day, otherwise it's tea and water. In Spain we have Vichy Catalan, similar to Perrier, which is a harmless and refreshing drink in the hot months.

Processed food is more difficult but I have cut out bread, cakes etc and all breakfast cereals made by Kellogg and their competitors. Breakfast consists of 3-4 pieces of fruit chopped into a salad and covered with skimmed milk and ground linseed which I take for omega3 (I get joint pains, sometimes).

My weight is a fairly constant 78 kilos. I'd have to cut out the beer, I think, to reduce any more but I'm happy with that weight, although statistics show me a few kilos over for my age.

I'm 30 mins into the video--it will take a while!

That is basis for zero carb diets such as Atkins