Free online backtesting software

rog1111

Established member
Hi all

T2W members are free to use 'SureTracker' - an online bar data backtester (no registration required) :-

www.newsel.co.uk/trading/suretracker dot htm

(insert the http:// bit at the front).

The software is designed primarily to compare different exit and money management/risk strategies, although there are a few entry strategies too.

It's an ActiveX control (& yes, it's safe !) so you may need to lower your I/Explorer browser security settings accordingly. There are instructions on the webpage.

Any constructive feedback is appreciated

Roger

Data source and format

rog1111 said:
jpwone has posted this useful link for data for backtesting. The program has been updated to use it :

http://freeserv.dukascopy.com/exp/

rog1111

As a footnote to this post, if you use this data source, you will need to make some changes to the saved file first, using Excel :

Open the file with Excel, and delete the text header line ("Date", "Volume" etc).

Then, select column A, go to 'data', go to 'text to columns'. Select the 'delimited' option and hit 'next'. Then select the 'semicolon' option, click 'next' then 'finish'.

The data should now appear in 6 neat columns.

Go to file/save as and save the file under the same name, opting to replace the original, and make sure the file extension is shown as '.CSV'.

When you exit Excel click 'no' to save changes under the Excel format

Now run the program and browse for the file.

A for Away !

rog1111

clintgray said:
Can I backtest a 100 symbols at once or do I have to enter them one by one? Thanks.

clintgray

You can backtest as many symbols as you like as long as the data is in 1 file. The data should be all dates for 1 ticker, then all dates for the next etc. Gross results are reported in the online version.

Let me know if you have problems

rog1111

MetaStock Backtesting

My trading methodology utilizes four time frames...Quarterly, Monthly, Weekly and Daily.

Does your backtesting software allow for multiple time frames to be integrated?

Re: MetaStock Backtesting

The Vulture

Currently the program can't convert daily to weekly data - you'll have to run the daily/weekly/monthly tests separately

rog1111
The Vulture said:
My trading methodology utilizes four time frames...Quarterly, Monthly, Weekly and Daily.

Does your backtesting software allow for multiple time frames to be integrated?

I'm a little confused. I'm looking for a 1. platform (broker)/ 2.back-testing software/3. data feed. How do I merge these three things? I want to create buy/sell signals and then enter a position manually, but I want to test strategies first. Many thanks