Fractals Anyone?

yeah it's all a bit hocus pocus. fibs are a case in point. I dont know why price reacts at those levels, personally I think it's just there are so many participants looking at these levels that it causes a reaction. For my trading I just want to know what the larger players in my chosen market look at, if they all started looking at tidal patterns I would follow those levels. crowd psychology init.

I agree and suspect that the larger players probably spend more money on information than I do. Paying for the right information is one of the keys.

yeah it's all a bit hocus pocus. fibs are a case in point. I dont know why price reacts at those levels, personally I think it's just there are so many participants looking at these levels that it causes a reaction. For my trading I just want to know what the larger players in my chosen market look at, if they all started looking at tidal patterns I would follow those levels. crowd psychology init.

Fibs work for the same reason random lines drawn on a chart work.

Fibs work for the same reason random lines drawn on a chart work.

(y)

In fairness, swing points do tend to cluster around fib levels in a more orderly fashion than they would around a randomly selected level.

Having said that, the skills required to make money from a fib level are the same as the skills required to make money from a random level, so you might as well take the simplest approach.

If you where really smart, you could forget about drawing any lines at all :smart:

Don't you find reading this thread makes you lose the will to live ? It's only 9:47 and I think I need a drink after reading this stuff just to get through the rest of the day.

(y)

In fairness, swing points do tend to cluster around fib levels in a more orderly fashion than they would around a randomly selected level.

Having said that, the skills required to make money from a fib level are the same as the skills required to make money from a random level, so you might as well take the simplest approach.

If you where really smart, you could forget about drawing any lines at all :smart:

Don't you find reading this thread makes you lose the will to live ? It's only 9:47 and I think I need a drink after reading this stuff just to get through the rest of the day.

What's the evidence for the fact that swing points cluster around fib levels. Define fib level and swing point.

What's the evidence for the fact that swing points cluster around fib levels. Define fib level and swing point.

That's a very fair point, and you could waste an awful lot of time trying to get your head around that stuff

I would argue that you have to take a pragmatic approach. For me, the key point is applying whatever method youve selected consistantly

To grossly simplify the argument does it matter if you measure the length of an object in feet, inches, millimeters, centimeters, or as a multiple of the length of my cats tail, so long as you define the method and stick to it consistantly ?

It's easy enough to design a filter to identify market turning points, I grant you the sensitivity of that filter will be a function of the parameters used in its construction. I could write quite extensively on this issue, but will refrain from doing so, but there are pragmatic approaches that could be realistically justified.

Once you have a bunch of swing points in some timeframe (which again is quite arbitrary, but could be justified on the basis that traders use particular standard timeframes) then by definition, you have levels associated with those points.

Of course you have the classic data mining bias issues, and I'm sure it would be easy enough to optimize a method that would identify levels that where subsequently respected (again defined by another arbitrary rule)

Obviously there are additional rules regarding the persistence of those levels etc.

I hasten to add I wouldnt trade this nonsense, and I appreciate just how easily we can be fooled by randomness, but I wouldn't dismiss fib levels completely out of hand without a lot more research. But as you point out, TA based research is fundamentally flawed if you want to take a pure evidence based perspective.

The thing is though, if I tossed a coin 1000 times and it came up heads, I'd probably bet heads on the next throw, despite my academic understanding of the situation. So on a practical level, if I'm trading to keep my hand in, rather than making a living, I will use fibs if there's a confluence with per existing support and resistance. I suppose its a bit like avoiding walking under ladders

What is so difficult about understanding the markets that people will go to such lengths to look at anything BUT the markets?

Fractals? A bunch of math to tell you what to do instead of figuring out what to do yourself.

You guys really believe that is a sound approach to becoming a skilled trader?

Serious question.

Why not just learn about trading?

Don't knock it til you try it. I multiplied one account far more than double, more than treble, even much more than quadruple between the end of September and the middle of December

Fractals are to me just another word for support and resistance. And watching for breaches in support and resistance are one of the best ways of getting in on impulse waves and making good profits.

Don't knock it til you try it. I multiplied one account far more than double, more than treble, even much more than quadruple between the end of September and the middle of December

Fractals are to me just another word for support and resistance. And watching for breaches in support and resistance are one of the best ways of getting in on impulse waves and making good profits.

IOW, "fractals" is a word that is meant to impress the uninitiated, because "fractals" is much more complicated than that, in the true sense of the word. Just Google it and see.

I multiplied one account far more than double, more than treble, even much more than quadruple between the end of September and the middle of December

Can we see a statement ? Better still, call out some trades and show us how you double, treble, quadruple your monies.

Look at this post from "a fractal expert"
original_11588256.png

Fractals is a fascinating subject.....well done for ressurecting this

N

Ok, if fractals in mathematics has a different meaning that's all very well, however the fractals which I undersstand here are just swing highs and swing lows which become support and resistance points.

As an example just look at the eurodollar around 0634 GMT this morning, on the 5 minute chart at which time I manually entered a long and got a decent return on capital in a few minutes. I know it subsequently turned around, and formed a lower fractal at 0830GMT, (again on m5) after which just before 0900 upon breaching it again whenI went short and had another nice and welcome win.

It works for me and that's all I care

Ok, if fractals in mathematics has a different meaning that's all very well, however the fractals which I undersstand here are just swing highs and swing lows which become support and resistance points.

As an example just look at the eurodollar around 0634 GMT this morning, on the 5 minute chart at which time I manually entered a long and got a decent return on capital in a few minutes. I know it subsequently turned around, and formed a lower fractal at 0830GMT, (again on m5) after which just before 0900 upon breaching it again whenI went short and had another nice and welcome win.

It works for me and that's all I care

this looks to be a breakout method from most recent swing high/low areas, with a heads up on trade direction taken from a count of the colour change in the macd (the coloured dots)

no expert on fractals, wouldn't really know a fractal if it slapped me in the chops. can we be enlightened where the fractal element is? and how it is at play here? thanks.

Fractals became quite popular in the late 80's, early 90's with the rave scene, ecstacy and LSD.

I can remember on many occasions driving along the M6 at 5am on a Sunday morning studying fractals as I drove. Fascinating.

And the fractals at Glastonbury.... they were a site to behold. Certainly more visually appealing than the toilets.

Fractals became quite popular in the late 80's, early 90's with the rave scene, ecstacy and LSD.

I can remember on many occasions driving along the M6 at 5am on a Sunday morning studying fractals as I drove. Fascinating.

And the fractals at Glastonbury.... they were a site to behold. Certainly more visually appealing than the toilets.

Roflcopter.gif

Orange and green trails :LOL: