Four Big Picture Order Methods-What Do you all find best?

natureboy

Established member
I mean:
All In, All Out
Scale In, All Out
All In, Scale Out
Scale In, Scale Out

I'm curious to know how people trade. When i first started out, it was all in all out. Then experimented with all in scale out.

Now i have found the wisdom of Scale In, All Out. Its beautiful, limited risk at first, building as the trade works, moving SL to BE on early tranches.. Then banking the profit when the move is likely done (or i come up with "a good logical reason" why i should take profits now..)

Any takers? What do you all find that works for you?

Yep, scale in, all out. Can take a lot of patience but when you catch a move - WOW!

Before yesterday I would have said All in, All out (at pre-set profit target).

However, I have this week had a situation where I got a second entry signal on a stock I was already long on and have entered another buy order. So although I am scaling in, it's dictated by the TA, printing up a fresh entry set-up, not by my own trade plan.

I will continue to do this but I think that the more separation between the entry levels, the more the risk will be diversified rather than amplified - a slough of trades all based on the same entry price and with the same target is a route to disaster.

Before yesterday I would have said All in, All out (at pre-set profit target).

However, I have this week had a situation where I got a second entry signal on a stock I was already long on and have entered another buy order. So although I am scaling in, it's dictated by the TA, printing up a fresh entry set-up, not by my own trade plan.

I will continue to do this but I think that the more separation between the entry levels, the more the risk will be diversified rather than amplified - a slough of trades all based on the same entry price and with the same target is a route to disaster.

Yes, it's certainly best to have your first and subsequent entries moved to break even, or locked in profit, before adding to any open position.

Yeah you definitely don't want to enter multiple times at same price..

Clearly Scaling In is a trend trading method. Scaling in as prices advance seems great to me.

Yeah you definitely don't want to enter multiple times at same price..

Clearly Scaling In is a trend trading method. Scaling in as prices advance seems great to me.

Basically cost averaging with a fixed (or floating) closeAll profit target. Works every time, as long as you use correct position sizes with sensible profit targets.

So although I am scaling in, it's dictated by the TA, printing up a fresh entry set-up

and that's the key thing. i've wondered how a fractional scaling (fixed advances lead to new entries) would compare with a TA based scaling in. Definitely want to see some stats on that at some point soon