finding new stocks ?

paul2129

so I'm currently less than a few weeks into my first attempt at real trading. I've had a couple of losses, however overall I've turned a profit. I have around 15 companies in my portfolio currently, one of which has made around 25% profit, so I've just sold that stock and would like to reinvest this new increased total into new stock (my 15 companies had the same amount invested into each) so I'd like to keep cashing in at 20 to 25% profit (or as required) and reinvesting that money into new stocks. I am a beginner, so please tell me if I'm making some fatal mistakes !
question is this, previously I've found a lot of my stock picks via simply searching online for recommendations, or on Barchart.com where you can list stocks in order of performance, top 100 etc, and I would carefully check out the past performance of those stocks before going ahead.... I've still been wrong, but I'm at least heading in the right direction.... but then there's a problem. since I have a stocks and Shares Isa, I'm finding it easier to stick to the LSE, and when I research for new stocks, I'm seeing the same ones again and again, and finding new and interesting ones has become more difficult, via Barchart.com at least, can you make any recommendations on where, or how to research new good performing stocks ?

Many Thanks

Paul

taking a 20-25% profit isn't a bad strategy, so long as your losses are less
however as the market turns, as it has done recently, so will your opportunities. personally, i never go by recommendations as those recommendations are often made by individuals who don't own the stock already and therefore have nothing to lose, or they are owned by individuals who are simply looking to get others to buy into it, to raise the price further. who can you trust?
even stocks whose performance is better is also not a great criteria, if every stock is going down, then your simply better than a bad bunch. you have to make sure your stock is in an uptrend, or beginning an uptrend as well as being a solid company
there are numerous sources or even brokers that should be able to generate a list of performing stocks. saxo for example has a platform that can track multiple markets, rather than just LSE. finfiz another, yahoo finance. it all depends what criteria you are looking to search for
also, don't forget to diversify your portfolio a little. always invested in stocks means that your entire portfolio will suffer if stock markets in general turn, which seems to be happening now.
and lastly, hopefully you are sticking to longer time frames when looking at your charts. weekly timeframe to guage the overall trend is best from my experience
best of luck and let me know if you have any further questions

thank you for the advice, this is an interesting learning curve..... just hope the curve continues slowly in the right direction :)

You would be well placed for the future if you start to develop your own trade ideas and watchlists. Personally I started out by monitoring and trading on a few sectors that interested me and got to know them, the stocks in them and the factors that influence them really well. These sectors and the stocks within them (airlines, energy and telecoms) still make up the bulk of my profits and are a comfortable place for me to trade, whilst others like Pharma still continue to elude me and I constantly question my rationale and judgement when taking a trade.

So my advice would be focus on one or two sectors and really get to know them across the main markets of UK, USA and Europe you will soon see plenty of opportunities and learn how moves in one market can unlock trades in another e.g. Boeing vs Airbus.

Stu

thank you, for the moment, I'm having to stick to UK stocks since there appears to be some paperwork involved in trading US stocks, plus, it's possibly more likely to land me liable for paying tax on profits (I'm trading via a stocks and Shares Isa)

thank you, for the moment, I'm having to stick to UK stocks since there appears to be some paperwork involved in trading US stocks, plus, it's possibly more likely to land me liable for paying tax on profits (I'm trading via a stocks and Shares Isa)
that paperwork would be the W8-BEN form i suspect? if you dont fill it in, then yes you are liable for US tax however you can then readjust that in your personal tax. Personally i would recommend you fill it in. Its very straight forward. I wouldnt limit myself if i were you to just the London Stock Exchange.
in the same amount of time (and i think of the lows of 2009) FTSE100 has increased by 100%. S&P500 by 400%. the trend is steady and so much more definable, its dips not as large. the ftse by comparison, is all over the place.

get the W8-BEN form filled in

that paperwork would be the W8-BEN form i suspect? if you dont fill it in, then yes you are liable for US tax however you can then readjust that in your personal tax. Personally i would recommend you fill it in. Its very straight forward. I wouldnt limit myself if i were you to just the London Stock Exchange.
in the same amount of time (and i think of the lows of 2009) FTSE100 has increased by 100%. S&P500 by 400%. the trend is steady and so much more definable, its dips not as large. the ftse by comparison, is all over the place.

get the W8-BEN form filled in

For the institutional players and fellas like Fibo who might even move to England after stumbling on this ....... thanks karnal for bringing it up. For others, its called RATIO ANALYSIS

Karnal, see red text, then lift eye so you don't miss the forest for the trees or worse, the leaves & observe how London is close to START ravishing the SPX. Its called TREND REVERSAL, a taboo term at ET and forums as EVERYBODY is accelerating in the the extant direction thinking it will go on forever, like you apparently do. It will be a power move. Yeah its called out-performance. London's time is coming soon. Monthly timeframe.

Hahahahahahaha, a simple subtraction instead of division gives the other chart. Haaaaaa, even in that one it shows Footsie going to rape the SPX in upcoming Wave 5

Fibo's short bet continues to remain on SPX as even though both will go down London will not go down as hard as the SpX.

Yippie kai yeh :):):)

:)

so I'm currently less than a few weeks into my first attempt at real trading. I've had a couple of losses, however overall I've turned a profit. I have around 15 companies in my portfolio currently, one of which has made around 25% profit, so I've just sold that stock and would like to reinvest this new increased total into new stock (my 15 companies had the same amount invested into each) so I'd like to keep cashing in at 20 to 25% profit (or as required) and reinvesting that money into new stocks. I am a beginner, so please tell me if I'm making some fatal mistakes !
question is this, previously I've found a lot of my stock picks via simply searching online for recommendations, or on Barchart.com where you can list stocks in order of performance, top 100 etc, and I would carefully check out the past performance of those stocks before going ahead.... I've still been wrong, but I'm at least heading in the right direction.... but then there's a problem. since I have a stocks and Shares Isa, I'm finding it easier to stick to the LSE, and when I research for new stocks, I'm seeing the same ones again and again, and finding new and interesting ones has become more difficult, via Barchart.com at least, can you make any recommendations on where, or how to research new good performing stocks ?

Many Thanks

Paul

"I am a beginner, so please tell me if I'm making some fatal mistakes!"

If you're going up against Wilson & ask for help, you must give the helper(s) data so they can find an Edge. Instead of offering the helper(s) grundge cake I suggest you up the ante to New York cheese cake. Get to it. Its your thread. Your call if you want to post this at University of Tijuana or go for gold at Cambridge/Oxford/Stanford.

the 15 stocks, why you didn't dump 14 and instead just let profits run on the winner?

Many Thanks

Paul
You should not trade with your real money until you can win paper trading on a consistent basis. I know that's not want you want to hear but until you can win consistent basis it will save you some $. I know because I blew my account twice when I first started. Now if you are already winning on a consistent basis . Then GOOD LUCK. And even if it fails . Learn from it and never give up.

Also you might look into this link .Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis