fees fees fees... surely not

samills70

40 1
Hi guys, I'm looking into trading options but it doesn't seem possible with a small account (looking to start with £2k) because of the insane amount of fees. Is there any way to get around being charged $15 per transaction? I see a lot of people claiming they started off with a small account but at those sort of costs you'd have to be making big plays every time just to cover the fees alone. Am I missing something or what are the tricks to getting into the game with a small account?

timsk

Legendary member
7,386 2,168
. . .Am I missing something or what are the tricks to getting into the game with a small account?
Hi samills70,
The trick to getting into the game with a small account is to choose a trading vehicle (e.g. options, spread betting, futures or CFDs etc.) that allows you to trade a very small position size relative to your account. In your case, that means for every pip or point movement, you win or lose a maximum of £1.00. Less is better. Ideally, the cost of the trade itself will just be the spread which, depending upon the instrument(s) you trade, ought only be 2 points at most.

I suspect (but can't be certain) that the people claiming to trade options with a small account are actually trading binary options which, although are based on options, are a different financial vehicle. Usually, there are no fees to pay of the sort you mention, but there are built-in costs and the edge very much favours the house - not you! So, if you're tempted go down this path, tread very carefully, as it's delightfully simple to get into, but very difficult to get out with a profit.
Tim.

samills70

40 1
Tnx for the response. Yeah I know about binary options and no way will I be bothering with that. I'm talking about standard US stock/commodity options trades. I guess I could sell premium to waylay the cost of the option, however even with a steep delta and a lucky break I don't see how one would get out with a profit considering the huge costs of opening and closing the positions :(. Oh well I guess I could do forex again but yikes... it's so nonsensical I might as well do binary options... same probability of losing money me thinks :)

bootsyjam

229 21
Worth looking up interactive brokers as I believe they have the best commissions for retail options traders. Bit of an unwieldy platform though

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock