Feeling ripped off by IG Index

This stock has been in a very strong downtrend since last summer.

Anyone who takes the trouble to do research would have discovered, amongst many many other things, that the historic dividend yield on this company is about 80+%.

Therefore, I cannot believe it is reasonable for anyone to assume that a dividend will be paid at the same historic rate, let alone a half, a quarter.

The company have continued to pay the same quarterly dividends despite the fall in share price. They are and investment trust that is trading at a 85% discount to Net Asset Value. Much f the share price fall is due to the widening discount.

I could be wrong but I am very much expecting the usual quarterly dividend to be declared again within the next two weeks.

So, yes, I did do the research and when I saw the Jun-09 price offered by IG it appeared they were also expecting the dividends to continue. After all, they are the experts!

IG altered their price yesterday, not because of any market news, but I feel purely because my dealing triggered someone to have a look at it.

This stock has been in a very strong downtrend since last summer.

Anyone who takes the trouble to do research would have discovered, amongst many many other things, that the historic dividend yield on this company is about 80+%.

Therefore, I cannot believe it is reasonable for anyone to assume that a dividend will be paid at the same historic rate, let alone a half, a quarter.

But it all trading was done at "reasonable" prices then we couldn't make any risk-adjusted return except through market making :LOL:

This is IG's fault IMO.

Sorry Steve, I thought I'd reported back before now.

They closed all the positions and refunded all losses as a 'gesture of goodwill'.

However, reporting several weeks later, their compliance department formally investigated and found that IG had acted entirely in accordance with their T&C's.

Ironically if I'd left the positions open I could have made a profit!!

Many thanks for all your help.

Sorry Steve, I thought I'd reported back before now.

They closed all the positions and refunded all losses as a 'gesture of goodwill'.

However, reporting several weeks later, their compliance department formally investigated and found that IG had acted entirely in accordance with their T&C's.

Ironically if I'd left the positions open I could have made a profit!!

Many thanks for all your help.

Thats nonsense - their T&C's state that their entitlement to make such an adjustment only occurs when "a corporate event" occurs. In this case the Company in question NEVER made such an announcement. I therefore consider that IG acted incorrectly - they invoked the term or condition without first making sure that its terms were satisfied.

on a slightly different topic, has IG lost their 3 senior FX guys? does anyone know where, if anywhere, they've turned up?
Thanks

What a strange request, are you expecting someone in the know within the industry to bubble them? I doubt that, but you never know :)

Interesting nonetheless and can have it's own thread if it gets going.

Anyone?

Wilwak, Thank you for sharing of your experiences with IG Index, I am still planning to go with them because out of most other SB firms I ave heard the least complains about this entity and apparently they have a decent platform .I will make a decision once I have run a demo on other too. However as you have pointed out that had you left the position open you may have actually profited in that case I think that things will never be perfect with SB firms we will just have to duck and dive and factor some form of potential irregularity on their part and ensure we are still taking in profits.

Hi all. I'm new to the forum and wanted some thoughts from fellow spreadbetters on whether I've been treated unfairly by IG Index.

I've been trading for years with CMC and City Index with absolutely no problems but within 2 days of trading with IG Index I feel that I've been completely stitched up.

I opened a buy position in a stock where the current share price was 7.7 p

I was offered 7.5 - 7.9 for a day position or

4.5 - 4.9 for a Jun-09 position.

The Jun-09 position looked very attractive as it factored in the high dividend yield on the stock and at 4.9 limited my total downside to 4.9 points even if the share price fell to zero.

I opened a sizable buy position at 4.9.

Later that day I received this email ....

Dear Client,

We are writing to you to inform you of an adjustment made to your JUN09 Invesco UK Property Income Tst position. Invesco UK Property Income Tst will probably not be paying the dividend expected by our equity support department.

Therefore all open spread bets will be rebooked to amend your opening level by 3.038 points. At the same time we will amend the levels of our futures contracts by 3.038 points. This will mean no profit and loss difference to your positions.

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any further queries.

They had increased the Jun-09 price to 8.3p from the 4.9p I bought at.

There is no way I would have traded at this price.

I complained and got this reply ....

Thank you for your email. The reason that we adjusted the position was that our forward prices were becoming inaccurate, and as such it was decided that the cash price should be used. In addition, we may further adjust the positions as stated in our Customer Agreement (full details available at IG Index - Customer Agreement

28. Adjustments and takeovers

(1) If any Financial Index becomes subject to possible adjustment as the result of any of the events set out in Term 28(2) below (a "Corporate Event") affecting a related financial instrument, we will determine the appropriate adjustment, if any, to be made to the size and/or value and/or number of the related Bet(s) (and/or to the level of any Order) to account for the diluting or concentrating effect necessary to preserve the economic equivalent of the rights and obligations of the parties in relation to that Bet immediately prior to that Corporate Event, to be effective from the date determined by us.

(2) The events to which Term 28(1) refers are the declaration by the issuer of a financial instrument (or, if the financial instrument is itself a derivative, the issuer of the security underlying that instrument) of the terms of any of the following:

(5) In the event that there is declared or paid in respect of any financial instrument a special dividend or a dividend that is unusually large or payable by reference to an ex-dividend date that is unusually early or late (in each case, having regard to dividend payments in previous years in respect of that same financial instrument), we may make an appropriate adjustment (including a retrospective adjustment) to the Opening Level and/or the Stake of a Bet that relates to that financial instrument.

I hope this clarifies the situation. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any further queries.

I am now showing quite a sizeable loss (due mainly to the spread) that when I opened the position I was happy to ride until Jun-09. I now feel I am stuck in a very poor position and I have little choice but to close the revised position at a big loss.

IG effectively increased my buy trade price by 60% from 4.9p to 8.3p after I had traded.

This is an extreme adjustment to make and I have demanded that IG just cancel the deal but they are refusing so far.

Is it just me that thinks I've been stitched up?

Thanks all.

I would agree that you have been stitched up - see my thread, 'Have you been scammed by IG'. In it IG changed their Terms and Conditions whilst I was in a trade and they have a section on their Terms and Conditions saying that they are allowed to do this. I have a case with the FOS at present and I have information from an ex employee of IG's who has explained all the tricks of the trade and I have posted them on my website igindexarecheats.

I would agree that you have been stitched up - see my thread, 'Have you been scammed by IG'. In it IG changed their Terms and Conditions whilst I was in a trade and they have a section on their Terms and Conditions saying that they are allowed to do this. I have a case with the FOS at present and I have information from an ex employee of IG's who has explained all the tricks of the trade and I have posted them on my website igindexarecheats.

This is just standard practice for SB futures factoring in dividends, and if that dividend changes the factored price will change. For example, say for some bizarre reason a company declares a dividend which is different than expected on the ex-div date, say 5p instead of 10p. The SB company will have already factored in the 10p price into the future and would have priced it 10p less, so in normal circumstances on ex-div day the daily and future would match again. If they suddenly make it a 5p dividend then the SB company has to make the future and rolling match by shifting all trade prices up 5p. So nothing to worry about, no loss to the client and normal practice by ALL SB companies.
So just get on with trading and make some profit...!

Anyway, IG now actually only factor in interest into the future price, not dividend anymore like other companies. Which I think is sensible and more transparent.

This is just standard practice for SB futures factoring in dividends, and if that dividend changes the factored price will change.

yeah but in this case there was no formal announcement yet that the dividend will not be paid, so they are not allowed to change their prices after a client buys.

Its such a joke. Imagine you sell something to someone and you both sign a contract for price X. After some time you say: " Hey you know what, im changing the price on the contract which you already signed on from X to Y because PROBABLY i have made a mistake and haven't calculated my risk correctly". If this is not cheating then by definition there exist no cheating anywhere in the world.

Anyway, IG now actually only factor in interest into the future price, not dividend anymore like other companies. Which I think is sensible and more transparent.

How do you know this? Their T&C is the same as before.

this is not new stuff. sudden changes in dividends, rights issues, cash payments etc have been part and parcel of the financial world for centuries.

this clause (or similar wording) has certainly been part of Capitalspreads terms since we launched. In reality you have not actually 'lost' anything. you bought at a price and were sitting on a position "at the money" and you still have this. What you could say to them is that you were willing to bet £x pounds risk (i.e if the share went to zero) but not almost 2 times this risk amount and maybe get them to adjust the bet size to reflect the new risk amount.

if you ask they might agree... this is quite an extreme example where the price has virtually doubled... aside from stock splits / right issues etc (where we adjust the bet size to take into account the new share price) i cannot remember such a massive dividend/price ratio

Simon