Fan on laptop is driving mad!!!

FTSEBOY

Hi there,
Its been a while since I last posted to T2W. Well anyway I am now back and nearly fighting fit, if it weren't for my laptop. Ever since I have had it (Sony PCG-GRZ515G) which runs on XP, after about 5 minutes without fail, the fan kicks in and the PC gets really hot. Now I am convinced that something is running in the background, but just can't seem ascertain what it is. As I speak the good old fan is kicking in and spot welding my fingers to the keyboard, so I'll have to jump. If anyone can give me any inspiration, so that maybe one day I can resume trading that would be most appreciated.

FTSEBOY (or FTSEburnt) :eek:

FTSEBOY said:
Hi there,
Its been a while since I last posted to T2W. Well anyway I am now back and nearly fighting fit, if it weren't for my laptop. Ever since I have had it (Sony PCG-GRZ515G) which runs on XP, after about 5 minutes without fail, the fan kicks in and the PC gets really hot. Now I am convinced that something is running in the background, but just can't seem ascertain what it is. As I speak the good old fan is kicking in and spot welding my fingers to the keyboard, so I'll have to jump. If anyone can give me any inspiration, so that maybe one day I can resume trading that would be most appreciated.

FTSEBOY (or FTSEburnt) :eek:

I can sell you some good earplugs if you want,works a treat for me.

If you haven't got Spyot or WinPatrol, why not? :cheesy: You can see running processes in these must have progs. ;)

My Fuijitsu laptop regularly starts to cook itself, to such a point that the CPU shuts it down after a few hours to stop it overheating.

How long have you had it? If it's more than about 4 or 5 months, vacuum it (I kid you not). Turn the PC off, stick a vacuum hose over each of the air intake ports and vacuum it for a couple of minutes - it sucks quite a lot of dust out, which can cause overheating issues.

Other than that, install something like Everest Home Edition, which will give you the CPU and HDD temps and report back.

I'd check where the air outlet holes are on your laptop, and ensure that they're not getting blocked up - if you have the laptop on a soft surface (such as a mattress, or a lap(!)) then the surface tends to mold itself to the base of the laptop, and if this covers the air outlets, the laptop won't be able to cool itself properly. If used on a lap then the added body heat will warm the laptop as well.

Most laptops have little feet/rubber pads in the four corners along their base, if these are still intact try putting a bit of thin board on top of wherever you place it, so that there is a gap underneath the laptop at all times during usage: hence allowing the air to circulate around it and cool more effectively.

Also, running the laptop so that the battery is charging at the same time (ie plugged into the mains) will make the laptop heat up more quickly, as the heat produced from powering batteries up is significant. If you notice the laptop overheating you could always unplug it and let it run on battery for a bit.

Hope this helps!

laptop battery cont...

or unless your walking around the house making trades on battery power, take the battery out and just use the power supply.

Also most of the power that is used on a laptop is to power your screens. If your eyesight can take it and you have a laptop capable of doing it you can turn down the monitor brightness.

Toshibas also have a special power profiles utility installed so that you can limit the amount of power being used by the CPU etc. might be worth googling "power saving methods for a XXX laptop and see what comes up" as there can be hardware vendor specific utilities that can manage power consumption and hence the heat produced and ultimately the fan usage needed