Fading Gap Downs and Help

mfdoom

23 0
Gap downs are low risk,simple, and probable, yet I could use some insight and tips for trading them.

Here is my method so far: I run a scan at 9:45 AM for gap downs at 4% or more in US equities. If the 6 month price chart shows somewhat of an uptrend, and the candlestick patterns or phycology shows positive sentiment, I will buy. I am also aware of volume and look for a continuation in the average rage after 9:50 AM.

If anyone has tips such as which timeframe to use, reversal tendencies, what they personally do, or even a better method/system, please respond.

wackypete2

Legendary member
10,229 2,054
Gap downs are low risk,simple, and probable, yet I could use some insight and tips for trading them.

Here is my method so far: I run a scan at 9:45 AM for gap downs at 4% or more in US equities. If the 6 month price chart shows somewhat of an uptrend, and the candlestick patterns or phycology shows positive sentiment, I will buy. I am also aware of volume and look for a continuation in the average rage after 9:50 AM.

If anyone has tips such as which timeframe to use, reversal tendencies, what they personally do, or even a better method/system, please respond.

"Somewhat of an uptrend" is not what I would use. Find one with a more defined up trend. Also, take note of the reason the stock gapped. Usually it's news or earnings. Try to determine if it's a longer term issue that could break the uptrend. If the event is a 1-time shocker then you're good to go. Finally, if the gap down is below a significant support line I wait to go long until the line is broken again to the upside.

There's no reason you can't apply the same method when a stock gaps up.

Peter

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock