Europe's Liberation Started With Brexit

It's worth remembering that he believed that another world war would be necessary before we sorted all this out. That belief no longer seems very far-fetched.

I bought this this morning....just for a bit of light Xmas reading.....

Attachments

• war with russia.jpg
    war with russia.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 582
I bought this this morning....just for a bit of light Xmas reading.....

As db said, memory can be a bitch! I do know that Stalin took half of Poland without a struggle and, if it had not been for the airlift, they would have taken Berlin, too.

I, also, remember reading, somewhere, that Churchill told Montgomery to get across the neck of Denmark as quickly as possible. Montgomery did with, just, six hours to spare, otherwise Russia would have been on the Atlantic coast.

But for the Americans, we would have had it. The same is true today, so let's keep our fingers crossed with Trump.

We should remember that, no matter how good we think we are, WWII left us,absolutely,skint. Any expectations that we may have about Britain's future out of EU wil go out of the window with another world war. Whatever it takes, we'd better do it.

Another thought. In 1950, 5 years after the war ended, maybe later than that, I remember (I was in the MN, then) having to get my ration cards when on leave. In the sixties, when we were married, we were ,still, only allowed to take 300 GBP out of the country.

I seem to remember holiday money being limited to £60 (?) by that other awful Labour PM, Harold Wilson.....not to mention his lies about the £ in your pocket not being worth less after his devaluation.
Just like now when it's collapsed from !.50 to 1.23 so imports including of course food and raw manufacturing materials and energy are costing a great deal more.
Politicians are willfully blind and/or stupid con artists.

I seem to remember holiday money being limited to £60 (?) by that other awful Labour PM, Harold Wilson.....not to mention his lies about the £ in your pocket not being worth less after his devaluation.
Just like now when it's collapsed from !.50 to 1.23 so imports including of course food and raw manufacturing materials and energy are costing a great deal more.
Politicians are willfully blind and/or stupid con artists.

The pound had, already, collapsed well before that! UK was on the gold standard and, in 1948 we got 4 dollars. A year later, it floated (like lead) down to 2.60.

Just think. from 1939 to 1960 were horrible years. Don't get involved with another one. Not, even, after I've gone!

. . . Don't get involved with another one. Not, even, after I've gone!
I'll do my best to follow your recommendation. Regarding going west; if the pluck and spirit you display in your posts are anything to go by Split' (my late grandfather used to use the word 'spunk' - but I'm told that means something rather different today), then there's plenty of life left in you yet!

Feliz Navidad and all the best for 2017.
Tim.

I'll do my best to follow your recommendation. Regarding going west; if the pluck and spirit you display in your posts are anything to go by Split' (my late grandfather used to use the word 'spunk' - but I'm told that means something rather different today), then there's plenty of life left in you yet!

Feliz Navidad and all the best for 2017.
Tim.

Same to you, Tim, and all members of T2W.

I'm an octogenarian. I feel great but time passes for all of us.

Interesting and it does capture the current mood.

All those who support this revolution don't really cares what comes next, but a total rejection of all that went before.

The birth of the internet and free flowing exchange of information was the start of it. IMHO

Though one might characterize it as the free flowing exchange of misinformation.

I also found that interview interesting, esp what was said about rejection and not considering what comes next, not unlike the French peasants in 1789. And what they got was the Reign of Terror. *cough* *cough*

Though one might characterize it as the free flowing exchange of misinformation.

Not unlike the constant stream of BS and propaganda put out by the liberal media over the years. :p

I also found that interview interesting, esp what was said about rejection and not considering what comes next, not unlike the French peasants in 1789. And what they got was the Reign of Terror. *cough* *cough*

No internet back in the day, otherwise they may have fared better. :LOL:

Or the conservative media (e.g., currently, that the CIA is plotting to assassinate Trump).

It's a broad brush.

:D They are not keeping very quiet about it! I I would, if I were them. Intelligence services are supposed to be a secretive lot.