Euro stoxx 50 - cheapest broker, low volume

The broker is making some money off you on that.

Try 0.98EUR/rt clearing Fortis. You'll get better rates than this if you do volume. If you want TT, there is a monthly fee. The "free" X-Trader at VF seems to add 1 unit (in the base currency of the product you trade), per contract. So if you are trading more than a few hundred RTs per month, you are best off with another platform, or taking the 1 exchange TT sub at $650 / month.

Depending on whether you really need TT (and for a low volume account, think about your costs) - I would speak to a few other FCMs. You should be able to negotiate down to the 1.50EUR range without TT, even for small volume, then go from there when you are trading more than 5k lots per month.

http://www.tradewithvelocity.com/commissions/product-commissions.aspx?productID=218
FYI, with Ninjatrader at minimal volume VF offer €1.78 EUR per RT. As you say might be able to find better than that, but it's a good start.

I realise there are threads about the following all over the place, but Hoodoo, do you have any personal thoughts on X-Trader vs Ninjatrader?

Not after anything fancy I dont think, just the ability to make the orderbook static (which incidentally I fear might add extra cost per transaction because I'm sure i read somewhere TT have a patent on that??), 10 prices deep, no interest in charts