Best Thread Euribor Flipper??

It was the bunds not the bobl. Market had been strangly bid all morning, then suddenly dropped 30 ticks in seconds.

Not nice.......

In december 2004 bobl, dropped more than 100 ticks out of nothing, see your chart. There was something with citibank, not sure what it was and I would like to know, somebody else here know what happened? bund did react with maby 30 ticks. but BOBL dropped waaaaaay harder.

Attachments

• Euro Bobl Future.png
    Euro Bobl Future.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 395
Last edited:
citibank sell then buy back

Headline was that citibank sold a huge amount of german bonds into a light market. Price fell like a brick then citibank brought back a quarter of there postion at a lower price making a massive profit .

The FSA made an enquiry and they may have got a fine. Citibank got a lot of bad press about it.

the citibank trade you are referring to occirred early in August last year.
The spike in bobl in dec (around 27 i think) was unrelated to the citibank trades...

Basically Citibank bid up the bunds and bobls - this raised the pirce of the cash equivalents.
Then they sold around 200 cash Euro bonds on MTS... before buying a chunk back half an hour later

The Decemeber thing with Bobl was in a very thin market between xmas and new year. Phily Fed ( i think it was) came out at 5pm London time, it was a very good number. No size in the market a lot of shops closed for holidays and basically stops went off. It recovered almost immediately.