Eureka!

quint

Although this system is based on swing trading it would require some kind of alert system when one nears the target price. I'd like to try this for real so can anyone suggest a way of recieving alerts on the indices? Preferably in a portable manner: PDA, mobile phone, that kind of thing.

Last edited:
My mobile phone account is with Orange so all I do to get price alerts is set D4F to email my orange account (free by the way) which you can set up to send you a text alert upon receipt of an email (also free). Other mobile companies may offer this service too.

I find this quite useful!

So, what's the system??!! ;)

quint you may want to buy a pager service from reuters or similar whereby you will have updated prices every few seconds.
would it possible to share your system so that i and others interested may learn more. many thanks jai.

joffliver
Thanks for that. I would really need a way of being alerted on the actual index, not the SB price. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Quint

The post Joffliver made re D4F may actually suit your need, as while they are notorious for shifting their prices with spreads and bias, their Daily CASH Dow tracks the actual index within 2 or so points throughout the day, so you could set the alert for either the bid or offer and know that the actual index price was only a couple of points away. Also, if you have predetermined your entry or exit you can easily set your limit order and alarm call at the same time.

The problem then is that when you get your message you may be prone to leap in the air with joy at the cash you know you've just made - and who knows where you may be at the time!

I'd say reuters pager service is the best alert u get on the go. Most pros use it.

so what's the simple sys geez? :) let me in on the basic principles and I'll test it out against my sys :)

Quint

If you're analysis software accepts plug-ins and you can configure alerts (like Tradestation) you could use WinBeep to alert you on a text pager.

DaveG

dglynn
Thanks for that. I'm not using any analysis software at the moment as I trade mainly shares on a swing trade basis combined with Rivalland style index trading. However if my thinking pans out I'll have to rethink my strategy. Have you any experience of how quickly these alerts reach you?

matey good for u. Nikkei is actually quite a nice index to trade. Did u ever hv a chance to test yr sys on fast-moving indices, like Russian RTS? I'd be keen to know how yr sys works there.... This is where real quick money is made (or lost :) )

alr8 geez - give us a hint! :) we r all deeply intrigued here... :)

china white
This system has literally just occured to me. It's very straight forward but is performing incredibly well on backtesting. As we all know that is no guarantee going forward and once real money is on the line. I'm still searching for the obvious flaw in my reasoning...I think it's probably best if I shut up until such time as I find it defo works or not.

Quint, thanks for sharing with us that you have had a 'moment' - but the value of this thread is limited as you have not given us any information, hence noone can comment or advise.

wideboy
I have already said I will shut up. I apologise for getting excited but thepurpose of my post was to get info about alerts for the indices without which I couldn't test my ideas. Several people replied with helpful info for which I'm very grateful. If it makes you feel any better I'll remove any mention of my excitement.

Quint,

Let's be hones here - your comments on another thread (Dow 96 Entry) lead me to believe that your system is based upon regression to the mean.

I don't mean to be harsh or anything, but you started a thread with an exclamation similar to that of the great Archimedes.

Would have been better if you'd have just shut up until you had done some forward testing and therefore confirmed that you had not made any post-dictive errors (Eckhard).

But as that is not the case, I wish you well......

The General. ;)

The General
My thoughts are not based on regression to the mean. My post on 96 point entry refers to another system. But thank you for sharing.I have edited my previous posts to avoid offending people such as yourself.

Quint,

No problemo. I wish this thread could be more like Dow 96 entry...ie a bit of a collaborative effort.

I'm currently around the other side of the worl with nothing to do...so if u want any VBA/VB6 work done....give me a shout ol' son.....

Rgds,

The General.

General,
I agree. And I apologise for starting this thread in the way I did. But the info I've gathered will hopefully prove my thoughts one way or t'other.