EUR/USD Breakout System With Time Based Exit

Here's a system from my forex site, I'm looking for help tuning it if anyone is interested in trying and posting their results? Forex Trading System

Here are the settings I'm using-

Go long when the EUR/USD closes higher than it has ever closed in the last 60 days. Go short when the EUR/USD closes lower than it has ever closed in the last 60 days. Trades are always closed exactly 5 days after they are are opened, therefore you can have between 0 and 5 trades open at anyone time. Place a stop loss of 200 pips on each trade.

Here are the results, back tested on the EUR/USD from the start of 2000 to the present. I've attached a full break down.

Number of winning trades: 213
Number of losing trades: 159
Number of pips won: 29600.2
Number of pips lost: 19863
Win to loss ratio (pips): 1.49 to 1

Attachments

mrsoul

Feb 7, 2009
Here's a system from my forex site, I'm looking for help tuning it if anyone is interested in trying and posting their results? Forex Trading System

Here are the settings I'm using-

Go long when the EUR/USD closes higher than it has ever closed in the last 60 days. Go short when the EUR/USD closes lower than it has ever closed in the last 60 days. Trades are always closed exactly 5 days after they are are opened, therefore you can have between 0 and 5 trades open at anyone time. Place a stop loss of 200 pips on each trade.

Here are the results, back tested on the EUR/USD from the start of 2000 to the present. I've attached a full break down.

Number of winning trades: 213
Number of losing trades: 159
Number of pips won: 29600.2
Number of pips lost: 19863
Win to loss ratio (pips): 1.49 to 1
Dave,

It doesn't sound like you get enough trades with this system.
If you are playing 60 day breakouts you can be waiting an awfully long time to make a trade.

What you tend to get a streak of trades in a strongly trending market, or a few losing trades in a market that reverses soon after it's 60 day high or low. And then yes, you can go for months without trades. That is the downside.

wackypete2

Sep 24, 2008
New Jersey
Looks good. If you want more trades try running a back test on a 4H timeframe. Maybe you have to tweek the settings a bit. It would be interesting to see if you can get better results with more trades. Would certainly keep the boredom in check.

Peter