ETX Capital

How's it irrelevant when it potentially has a major effect on your trading and profitability? Will you be happy if you start getting designer slippage because a SB is tweaking settings on a plug-in deliberately intended to move the goalposts in favour of the 'house'?
Is there a market maker with no bias against you? Still they might offer you a good deal compared to trading the DMA. One have to calculate any drawbacks into ones trading and work out an average. If these drawbacks goes beyond acceptance one have to move to another market maker or trade the DMA. Yes, I also get irritated at times when they play games, but I also have a free will to move to another service that might suit me better.

Time to resurrect the ETX thread mainly because I was on the play store this evening and quite by accident discovered, quite happily, on tapping the letters "etx" in, that the ETX spread-betting app is definitely up and running. Now I'm left wondering why on earth they sent me multiple emails, over the past year (and a bit), all about their iphone app, yet not a single one (to my knowledge, as I've not checked my spam folder too frequently) about their new Android app - which, I might add, I've been waiting upon for quite a while now. Anyway, I installed it, and although I've yet to place any new bets since installing it this evening (next week is another story), I'm left wondering as follows:

Etx - with all respect, I'm not sure why I was one of your android customers who (& again, spam folders notwithstanding) didn't receive notice of your new app, nonetheless why not let more of your customers know about your new (at least, I assume it's new) android app, especially as many of us don't use Apple phones, and prefer to use Android? In other words, inasmuch as it's been running fine for me since installing it, isn't now a good time to get the word out? Or, have others not had much luck with it so far?

Last edited:
Time to resurrect the ETX thread mainly because I was on the play store this evening and quite by accident discovered, quite happily, on tapping the letters "etx" in, that the ETX spread-betting app is definitely up and running. Now I'm left wondering why on earth they sent me multiple emails, over the past year (and a bit), all about their iphone app, yet not a single one (to my knowledge, as I've not checked my spam folder too frequently) about their new Android app - which, I might add, I've been waiting upon for quite a while now. Anyway, I installed it, and although I've yet to place any new bets since installing it this evening (next week is another story), I'm left wondering as follows:

Etx - with all respect, I'm not sure why I was one of your android customers who (& again, spam folders notwithstanding) didn't receive notice of your new app, nonetheless why not let more of your customers know about your new (at least, I assume it's new) android app, especially as many of us don't use Apple phones, and prefer to use Android? In other words, inasmuch as it's been running fine for me since installing it, isn't now a good time to get the word out? Or, have others not had much luck with it so far?

Hello Peakoil

We haven't quite yet ironed out all the little bugs and until we have we'd decided to not make too much noise about it until it was working as we expected it to.

We have had a few people beta testing it for us and I suspect we are nearly ready to begin marketing the launch of the Android app and sending out communications to our clients.

If you have any comments about the performance of it or how we could improve it, please let me know. publically here is fine, or PM me if you'd prefer.

Best, Rob.

Hello Peakoil

We haven't quite yet ironed out all the little bugs and until we have we'd decided to not make too much noise about it until it was working as we expected it to.

We have had a few people beta testing it for us and I suspect we are nearly ready to begin marketing the launch of the Android app and sending out communications to our clients.

If you have any comments about the performance of it or how we could improve it, please let me know. publically here is fine, or PM me if you'd prefer.

Best, Rob.

Thank you for your response. And that's fair enough.
I'll be happy to report back in a few days, with any comments.

Cheers for now, peakoil

Just for confirmation I would like to ask any representative from ETX CAPITAL if they are currently using ( as of 20 th August 2013 ) the "Virtual Dealer plugin" in order to execute trades??

I look forward to your replies

Regards

Mac

So Mr ETX responds about something of minor importance to most potential clients, but ignores the tough questions?

Better still, don't execute live using the platform that the plugin was coded for.

Their slippage absolutely shocking. The worst I've ever had and I've used most brokers.
Yes I agree, they ought to get rid of the systemic slippage. Many will not put up with it in the long run. On the other hand, they have got very fast execution, among the best in the industry I think. One can try to exit the position manually in order to avoid slippage as much as possible.

The execution often slips, too, though. How many times do you get in the trade and the first P&L shown is -2 or 3? Nearly all the time. IG's executions are easily as good.

I had some slippage, called them and they reimbursed it as a "good will gesture". Basically, They're trying to get away with as much slippage as possible whilst balancing it with retaining customers.

Last edited:
The execution often slips, too, though. How many times do you get in the trade and the first P&L shown is -2 or 3? Nearly all the time. IG's executions are easily as good.

I had some slippage, called them and they reimbursed it as a "good will gesture". Basically, They're trying to get away with as much slippage as possible whilst balancing it with retaining customers.
Not my experience that you often get slippage getting into the position. I have done a lot of trades with them, although as said before, they will slip your stop loss at times. About IG's execution I can't really compare, as they are one of the few that I haven't tested in live trading.

Last edited:

Its not entry slippage its the spread. For example, spreadbet X firm quotes Cable 10/12, you sell at 10 as your short entry position, your pnl will correctly show -2 not because you've been 'slipped' anything but because to square your short posi you'll need to be paying the 12 offer. -2 pips.

if your entry positions are established using stop entry orders then everyone knows that can attract slippage if the market is moving through your order level quickly. If cable goes from 60/62 before non farms and the first print is 30/32 your stop entry order to sell at 58 isnt going to be done at 58 is it? thats not the fault of anyone or any broker, its the market correcting itself and you should accept that so long as the fill is fair and reasonable.

Reactions: tar
1) No **** there's a spread. I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about post-spread.

2) We're not talking holding orders over NFP or high-volatility :rolleyes: I'm talking about slow-moving markets. Markets where I wouldn't get slipped on every other broker I've used.

1) No **** there's a spread. I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about post-spread.

2) We're not talking holding orders over NFP or high-volatility :rolleyes: I'm talking about slow-moving markets. Markets where I wouldn't get slipped on every other broker I've used.

what is post-spread? and why would that make you -2 pips?

are you getting confused with price bias?

Post-spread is after the spread. Let me break it down...

Take a short on the FTSE @ 1 pt spread at £10 PP. Your open position will be -£10 in most circumstances. It seems on ETX you're always down at least -2, -3 when you first see your position.

Yes, I know the market will move on some occasions but the "slippage" seems to happen nearly all the time.

Take a short on the FTSE @ 1 pt spread at £10 PP. Your open position will be -£10 in most circumstances. It seems on ETX you're always down at least -2, -3 when you first see your position.

Yes, I know the market will move on some occasions but the "slippage" seems to happen nearly all the time.
If that is the case I guess you have to move on, if you haven't done that already.:)

oh, post spread is after the spread. right, got ya. I always get confused with made up words, but thanks for breaking it down....

You're positions are valued mark to market. There are only 2 reason's why you'd see -2 as soon as you've traded on a 1 pip price:

1. you've sold on a price of 10/11 and the market has gone to 11/12 immediately.

2. Price bias is being used against you. Get someone else who has an account there and see if his price is the same as yours once you've dealt. if it is then you're either being unlucky or bad with your entries, if its a different price which is marked against you then you have a problem. I can't imagine ETX would do this.

oh, post spread is after the spread. right, got ya. I always get confused with made up words, but thanks for breaking it down...
Don't get confused. Get educated. It's not made-up; it's a common prefix that means, “after / subsequent to".

2. Price bias is being used against you. Get someone else who has an account there and see if his price is the same as yours once you've dealt. if it is then you're either being unlucky or bad with your entries, if its a different price which is marked against you then you have a problem. I can't imagine ETX would do this.
I could read the re-occurring complaints on this site about it. That's good enough.