Esignal questions

jimvt

I am giving some thought to subscribing to Esignal but have a few queries. Can anyone help?

1)Data: I understand you can download data for backtesting. If so, how much intraday data can be downloaded, at what compression (tick or minute), in what format(ascii ?), and how clean/good is the data in your opinion?

2) Is it straightforward to hook up TS 2000i in realtime?

3) How does esignal respond at times of sudden increased market volatility? (Mytrack , my current service, are often hopeless at these times - the charts just freeze sometimes).

Thanks for any help!

150 days intraday data is available directly from esignal but if using TS2000i and globalserver it nees to be downloaded. This is to tick level. esignals own charting package is good but if you want to build and backtest systems the language is Java based and much harder to learn than TS easylanguage.
For most markets the data is good.
TS realtime is easy to hook up if you use Globalserver
I have had no problem with esignal over figures when markets move very fast. They are a quality data provider IMO.

Hi twalker

Can anyone please give me some more info about backtesting with esignal. can you do auto backtests and if so how and what are the limitations

Hobbling back up to the plate.....
I have not even attempted to use the esignal back test and system capability as for years I have used TS, I do prefer the charting package however and so tend to use esignal platform to scan charts and watch the intradays while scalping.
All the system stuff I do, I do in TS, easylanguage is really very easy to learn as the name suggests and it is worth the hassle of dealing with Globalserver and all the crap that that entails.

A lot of people have good things to say about esignal but I have been having problems with lags of 2-3 seconds + with DAX and HSI, stoppages with ES and service halting when TWS quotes come through fine. It seems not to be due to my intenet connection or ISP or installation/PC as others are reporting identical problems (see links). It really does seem that they have some work to do - Just letting you know. After a few months I am now looking at alternatives, although if these issues are fixed I will not rule out staying with them. On the help side, some responses back to me got lost in the internet, but I have had a number of issues ignored in the past. where I do not believe the 'no reply' was caused by mail server problems.
http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=543680

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32733&highlight=esignal

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35417&highlight=esignal

Hi Mokwit

Thanks for your reply. Food for thought, though they still sound better to me than Mytrack. I'll take the months trial anyway for August and see how it goes.

2 or 3 seconds lag isn't good but I've occasionally experienced delays of over a minute with Mytrack under very fast markets..

I've taken the plunge and got Esignal!

Ok, so far I have an advanced chart up on the screen and I've paid for the exchange, but it's not live. The data stopped last night. How do I get live prices, anyone?

Cheers

Data should be there. Call their tech support on 02078258777

twalker said:
Data should be there. Call their tech support on 02078258777

Ah, - why didn't I think of that? I forgot that some people have telephone support still.

Thanks for the number :LOL:

Thanks for the #f tip.

Can you help me get ts2000i set up? I think I've got GS set up ok - I've got the contract in place and connection status ok, but in TS get the message "No data available for the selected date range". How do I download?

Cheers

Update on above: TS now saying "waiting for data" but GS showing no quotes received (under performance tab)
esignal data manager appears ok.

Update #2 ( I know you're interested): GS receiving quotes ok. TS saying " No data received...." again.
Help!

Everything sorted now, thanks!

What I'm stuck on now is trying to download expired contracts from Esignal. It doesn't seem to be possible as far as I can see. Am I missing something?