EOD weekend data

Bill Carson

G'day all,

I'm looking at trading EOD forex. I'm setting up my indicators and am looking at the EOD data in an excel application I am working on. I've signed up with EODData.com to get the EOD data but there is a fly in the ointment. Sometimes, but not always, they quote prices for saturday and or sunday.

The prices are based on the NY open & close and I understand that on the weekend there are other exchanges dealing the forex so it is not unreasonable to expect data for that period. When I look at MSN Money's data they don't have weekend figures but the price will gap between the friday close and the monday open.

As far as I can see there are a couple of options to deal with this:
1) Only use the monday to friday data. 5 bars per week. To do this I'd need to get a data provider that only supplies the M-F figures or delete the sat & sun figures from the data I already get.
2) Use the sat & sun data if and when it appears.

Where I see this all coming into play is when calculating MAs, MACDs etc.

How do other people trade the EOD weekend data?

I would suggest not using weekend data at all, just remove it from your source rates. You wont be able to trade on weekends unless you want to pay a horrendous spread.

It's really simply to remove all weekend data from your Excel sheet. Assuming you have the Date in Column A:

- Create a new Col B with formula: =LEFT(TEXT(A1,"ddd"),3)
This gives the Day of Week.

- Sort Columns A and B together, by column B

- Delete all the Sat/Sun entries which are now nicely grouped together

- Re-sort Columns A and B together, this time by column A

That sounds like good advice, give the weekend the boot. (y)

I'd come to the same conclusion on cleaning it up in excel, should be pretty easy.

Thanks for replying.

I would suggest not using weekend data at all, just remove it from your source rates. You wont be able to trade on weekends unless you want to pay a horrendous spread.

It's really simply to remove all weekend data from your Excel sheet. Assuming you have the Date in Column A:

- Create a new Col B with formula: =LEFT(TEXT(A1,"ddd"),3)
This gives the Day of Week.

- Sort Columns A and B together, by column B

- Delete all the Sat/Sun entries which are now nicely grouped together

- Re-sort Columns A and B together, this time by column A