England - Belgium

markvighan

This tip is for England to keep a clean sheet. Under Roy Hodgson, it's a game where there isn't a lot of goals nor and things are keep close. Although, it seems on the score but in real play, england will be a straight forward, solid team with highly organized back four with a lot of discipline. It's not just that, it's the way Roy Hodgson plays that will keep thing tidy at the back and also the midfield able to support them. If a goal was to come then it's likely to be from a set piece. England will be boosted with a few key players back in the starting lineup with John Terry, Ashley cole, Glen Johnson so expect a tough line up and not to mention Belgium have their potent attack which will test them. England Clean sheet and at wembley this evening.

Lets hope the team will perform like winners, not the deadbeats as under Sven and that other loser

Attachments

• football.PNG
    football.PNG
    43.2 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:
England rated 7 in the world is struggling against no 44
nothing much to cheer about yet

Lucky, yes lucky to be still 1 up.

Very 2nd rate performance so far.

What ever do they do in practice sessions ? Whatever it is it doesn't include spatial awareness and control.

Lets hope the team will perform like winners, not the deadbeats as under Sven and that other loser

Capello has the best win rate than any other england manager, sven's wasn't too bad either - and he did take us to the QFs of 2 major tournaments which is as much as any realist should hope for.

You should read "why england lose", a good book which explores stats and provides a refreshingly comprehensive and objective view on englands footballing success and lack of.

I would also recommend zonalmarking.net for similarly excellent analysis of teams and matches from all leagues, cups and tournaments.

Good bet by the op.

Capello has the best win rate than any other england manager, sven's wasn't too bad either - and he did take us to the QFs of 2 major tournaments which is as much as any realist should hope for.

You should read "why england lose", a good book which explores stats and provides a refreshingly comprehensive and objective view on englands footballing success and lack of.

I would also recommend zonalmarking.net for similarly excellent analysis of teams and matches from all leagues, cups and tournaments.

Good bet by the op.

Perhaps we expect too much ?

Trying too hard a lot of the time, it seems to me.

Another prime fault of England's game is just getting rid of the ball to the next player rather than making a good or even an inspired pass occasionally.

The manager should imho have say 3 prepared game plays tailor made ,ready to defeat the opposition. Not too many, which would confuse our players.but enough variation to seek out the weak spots in the opposition and confuse them.

Did I ever play the game ? Yes

More of an armchair manager - probably :)

Perhaps we expect too much ?

That has definitely been the case in recent times, just look at the odds for eng to win even now!

We are still player for player technically weaker than a lot of 2nd tier euro teams eg croatia, turkey, portugal etc and though there have been some important changes at grassroots level its going to be a while before we show similar skill on the ball throughout the team which is prominent with the elite spain, germany, hollands et al.

Its quite refreshing that we are going into the euros with limited hope imo - pretty sure there wld have been much more hype if redknapp had got the job, just a shame missing the more technically gifted players such as wilshere (and rooney for 2 games), once again we have a v slow midfield (the likely starters v france is milner and downing) and cannot see how we are going to break quickly after defending so deep, unless carroll starts and we play route 1.

Anyway time will tell. It shld be a good tourney though with hopefully some great matches.

Last edited:
Think there's definitely chance of unseeded team getting to finals - all the barca (spanish) players looked spent in the last few games of last season, italy's preparations in disarray with match fixing scandal, holland always look great but lack the team play (defensive duties from midfield et al) which is necessary to grind out results and wonder how many of bayern's german players will be able to pick themselves up after a long and fruitless season? The top footy clubs are so powerful now I always thought international football will slowly deteriorate and a euro super league will eventually replace domestic leagues (smthg wenger has been advocating for) and the last few world cups, euros, african nations, copa americas have all been pretty poor overall imo, though I still watch every match for the drama.

I might stick a small amount on russia - but not outright to win (if they got to the final v spain they wld still be c5/1 so would not be able to lay off for 'value'), prob spread bet on tournament index. In yester years I wld trade say the correct score, total goals and/or match win markets on BF but I am too lazy to concentrate during the match - I just want to enjoy the game.

Also think only one of spain or italy will qualify from their group, not both.

Who do you reckon for a surprise?

Wonder what the OPs views are?

Here are the odds

Spain

5/2

Germany

3/1

Holland

6/1

England

10/1

France

10/1

Italy

14/1

Portugal

20/1

Russia

20/1

Ukraine

40/1

Croatia

50/1

Czech Republic

50/1

Poland

50/1

Greece

66/1

Sweden

66/1

Portugal may be cheap at 20/1 in my limited opinion.