Employer/employee private healthcare schemes.

JTrader

Hi

I regularly see job adverts that mention a private healthcare scheme as one of the benefits.

I used to stack shelves at Tesco while a student, and a private healthcare scheme was available to Tesco employees. To join you contributed so much per month.

When jobs mention a private healthcare scheme in the advert, are they referring to the same thing? Is this something that employers mentioning this benefit in the advert are likely to cover the cost of. Or, like at Tesco could it just be something that you will be entitled to join and pay towards?

What have been your experiences of Employer/employee private healthcare schemes?

Many thanks
:)
jtrader.

It usually means that the benefit is offered to you and paid for by the company or that you can pay at a discounted rate. If the company pays then you will be taxed on the value of the benefit.

Paul

i know someone who was a member of BUPA as part of the company medical package - the company failed to mention that the tax man viewed this as a perk so she was a bit surprised (to say the least) when she used this service and ended up with a bill from the tax man